AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Nov 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #76 of 957
jmm-aq-nighthawk-bye-bye-purple-400.png

Cool! Thank you for good info and vibes.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #77 of 957
  Hey everyone, I thought I would jump in and answer some questions. This community has given so much to me that I hope to start contributing back... 

Thank you for chiming in....looking forward to the Nighthawk.

we plan to make a 1/4" version of this cable for purists.

Yes! I have some fine AQ cables and surely the Nighthawk deserves one as well
smile.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #79 of 957

Cable terminations: We feel that offering a 3.5mm plug and including an unobtrusive 1/4"-to-3.5mm adaptor makes NightHawk more flexible in its use versus a cable with 1/4" plug that must be adapted to 3.5mm with a bulky, awkward adaptor. That said, we plan to make a 1/4" version of this cable for purists. We also noticed a distinct lack of quality 1/4"-to-3.5mm adaptors on the market, so we decided to build the best one ever made! It will come with NightHawk and be available separately...and also be affordable.

How about balanced cables?

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #80 of 957
How about balanced cables?

It just so happens that we are working on balanced cables as well.

EDIT: To further clarify, the NightHawk cable is already balanced (a symmetrical star-quad construction for each channel)!
We will make a version of this cable where the only difference is termination to a 4-pin XLR which can interface with a fully balanced headphone amp.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #81 of 957

SkylarGrey, Very nice of you to pop into this forum and give us some info on this promising looking headphone, much appreciated. I hope the final product sounds as good as it looks but given AQ's reputation for great, quality products, I expect it will be a very competitive product in its niche.
Good luck on your future endeavours and the expansion of our hobby with interesting and exciting products. Always good to see reputable companies joining the party.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #83 of 957
  I personally quite like the look of these, But hearing them is another thing.
Unfortunately the only local store to me thats anything close to a hi-fi shop is a Richer Sounds, who currently stock Sennheiser, Grado and Audio Technica.
So I always end up having to blind buy new cans when they're not one of those three brands.

Well, Richer Sounds are an Audioquest stockist, as are Sevenoaks, Audio-T etc etc.  Of course, whether being a cable stockist translates to also being able to stock the headphones is another matter.  I'd certainly think/hope that we'd have a better chance of a demo of these locally in the UK than many of the other top brands though.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #85 of 957
SkylarGrey thanks for posting details on construction.  Very impressively green!  Hoping the sound is competitive.  My wallet is shivering in anticipation.

Hope it is efficient enough to shine without a 1,000mw+ amp!

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #86 of 957
 REALLY hope these won't be overpriced!

(sorry to say, but several Audioquest cables ARE overpriced, especially compared with cheaper UK cables - Made in the UK, not China - or Japan that outperform now "legendary" Audioquest cables like King Cobra and others) 

I'd love to know what loudspeakers were used for inspiration

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #87 of 957
AudioQuest audiophile recordings are very nice as well.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #88 of 957
It just so happens that we are working on balanced cables as well.

EDIT: To further clarify, the NightHawk cable is already balanced (a symmetrical star-quad construction for each channel)!
We will make a version of this cable where the only difference is termination to a 4-pin XLR which can interface with a fully balanced headphone amp.

Thanks for addressing the "balanced" design topic. Having a fully balanced amplifier your headphone is now at the top of my "must audition" list.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #90 of 957
  *fingers crossed* on tight, deep, solid bass and non sibilant highs.

Agreed. I'd like something like an uber HD 650. It doesn't need to be bright to be detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back