AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Dec 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #946 of 957
Coming from the TH600 and the HE-4, the NHwk doesn't sound bass tilted. Infact, one of my complaints is the sub-bass is rolled off. I'm a closet bass-head l, btw :cool:

That's interesting. I love the TH600 bass, but the NHs (based on Tyll's measurements) have a bit less of a sub-bass roll-off than the Fostex. I'm curious to see myself on Monday (or wait till they burn in a bit) and do some AudioCheck LF response tests.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #947 of 957
  The DT 150 does many things right I, I would say one of the best mid-tier headphones there is, it's biggest problems is some uneveness in it's response and it could do with more impact and sure-footedness in it's bass. The HD 650 while smoother in it's frequency response and has more warmth and bass presence, lacks some resolution and imaging ability compared to the DT 150. I found the Nighthawks is better than both in pretty much all ways, it is a bit warmer and darker than both but really has the strengths of both headphones without eithers weaknesses to my ears. The bass can take some getting used to compared to other headphones as I have found it strong for a headphone(still not to speaker levels but very impressive for a headphone).

Agreed, it's best use for recording (where detailed retrieval is not important) but not good for monitor or mixing. If anyone want to know the characters of DT150:

Deep Bass and mid Bass are equal.
Mids is not clear enough to enjoys e.g. piano mid are not musical to me compare to most headphones with forward. It's sound like mean to protect our ears against damage.
Highs is not clear enough too, roll off.

The best way to describe that DT150 is best for radio recording used where they can use for a prolong period without hurting their hearing.

Waiting for 2 headphones Fostex X00 for deep bass and better highs; Axel Pure for clarity across all FR. If we wanted to hear the best FR, I hope Axel can brings the musical out of a small cones.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #948 of 957
Hello All. I am assuming that this thread is so quiet due to fellow Nighthawk owners being too engrossed in music to be on here! 
I am loving mine still - so engaging and no desire to upgrade which is a record. However, the stock cable is driving me nuts - so tangly and gnarly.

Has anyone used aftermarket cables? If so, any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #949 of 957
  Hello All. I am assuming that this thread is so quiet due to fellow Nighthawk owners being too engrossed in music to be on here! 
I am loving mine still - so engaging and no desire to upgrade which is a record. However, the stock cable is driving me nuts - so tangly and gnarly.

Has anyone used aftermarket cables? If so, any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Yup, that is why I have been silent! The Nighthawks IMHO are the best headphones I have ever used and I suspect others are feeling the same way.
Having said that, as wonderful as they sound using the stock thick cable, it is a pain as you have stated. Also twice my thick cable has developed bad connection at the end where it plugs into my DAC/HA.  Happily AudioQuest replaced the cable both times without hesitation. During the time the thick cable was away, the skinny cable did yeoman's duty. The headphones sound almost as wonderful as with the thick cable, but not quite...to my ears at least. Thanks to AQ and Skylar once again for the NH's! Anyone else have trouble with the thick cable?

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #950 of 957

I'm really liking the Moon Audio Blue Dragon on mine. Link is in my sig.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #951 of 957

I have had lots of experience with many headphones and aftermarket cables, I feel that the cables make more different with certain headphones and the nighthawk are one of them. I have an all silver braided cable by Lavri cables that has turn my nighthawks into a true reference headphone. Not saying the stock ones sound terrible but my Lavri cable makes them so much more transparent detailed and tighter bass.
And yes I am still loving my nighthawks !!!!!!
Lavri cables are also an incredible deal!

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #952 of 957

Yes, engrossed with them. Also this impression thread seems to be the most active Nighthawk thread.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #955 of 957
May 14, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #956 of 957
I just bought a set of nighthawks to try out and I like the way the sound alright, but compared to my reference hp like the lcd3 or th900, they don't go near as loud or have the massive bass that I love. I only tried them with one SE cable, and saw a dyson audio balanced cable on eBay for only 45.00$ which looks like a deal! How much difference in an improved, balanced cable? In regards to how loud they will play and SQ? Thanks..

And I may just sell mine, I you want a set in decent shape for a reasonable price, pm me! And I can show u where to get balanced cables for well under 100

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #957 of 957

Users who are viewing this thread

Back