AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #46 of 957
Available in 2015......big promotion in November 2014.....it's going to be expensive. Design looks very promising.

Yup, the cable looks dodgy. If you are making a serious headphone, make a serious cable terminated 1/4" if you want to be taken seriously.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #47 of 957
While I'll agree with the 1/4" side, I certainly don't think that cable will look "dodgy" in person.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #48 of 957
Available in 2015......big promotion in November 2014.....it's going to be expensive. Design looks very promising.

Yup, the cable looks dodgy. If you are making a serious headphone, make a serious cable terminated 1/4" if you want to be taken seriously.

As we all know from time spent on headfi, any full-size, open headphone is perfect for portable use these days, right?

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #49 of 957
I prefer a 3.5mm cable, with a 1/4" adapter, preferrably of the screw on variety where it looks like it came with a 1/4" cable.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #50 of 957
Nov 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #52 of 957
Functionally-speaking, it's easy to just have a screw on or snap on 1/4" adapter. The same can't be said on 3.5mm adapters for 1/4" cables, since 3.5mm inputs aren't as durable, and the stress of a chunky adapter will break them. You're then left with something like a grado short 1/4" adapter cable which relieves stress on the 3.5mm input but is more cumbersome and likely to negatively affect SQ over a simple screw on/snap on adapter.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #53 of 957

Looks like the NightHawk will be using a modified Fostex dynamic driver.

That's not a bad thing.  Some of the best sounding headphones use similar Fostex drivers.

Can't wait to hear 'em! 
L3000.gif

Wrong..Fostex-Denon's use BoPET with Nanofiber on top of it.
Bio-Cellulose is a straight copy of Sony who copied Beyerdynamic who knew about Break-Up with BoPET.

Recipe of Old-Technology is what I see with this new AudioQuest.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #54 of 957
I hope this headphone lands in the HD800 territory of price and quality. I'm looking for a companion to my TH900, but I don't like the HD800s. (Too analytical and bright.) But I do like the looks of these. Hope they sound as good as well.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #55 of 957
The Audioquest marketing material refers to a goal of "a reasonably affordable cost." I'm all for that, because I think headphone pricing is insane. But I wonder what they mean by "reasonably affordable."

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #56 of 957

Wrong..Fostex-Denon's use BoPET with Nanofiber on top of it.
Bio-Cellulose is a straight copy of Sony who copied Beyerdynamic who knew about Break-Up with BoPET.

Recipe of Old-Technology is what I see with this new AudioQuest.

I don't know.....  They look pretty close to me.

While the NightHawk may use a somewhat different diaphragm material, it appears that the NightHawk's driver is indeed manufactured by Fostex.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #57 of 957
  The Audioquest marketing material refers to a goal of "a reasonably affordable cost." I'm all for that, because I think headphone pricing is insane. But I wonder what they mean by "reasonably affordable."

From past examples, Audioquest has very different meaning of 'affordable'. Even more so on 'reasonably'.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #58 of 957
As AQ develop the headphone and their costs and pricing, I doubt that our forum comments have any effect whatsoever on their calculations.

But as a bet, I'll say hey Audioquest, I'll bet you $500 that you will price it higher than $1000.  Shake?

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #59 of 957
Night hawk? Sounds like a name of a character from world of Warcraft or something...
Hmmm, always fun to try a new headphone!
For example , Beyerdynamic makes good headphones and sell it with horrible cables, they buy in cheap cables from somewhere else and that's something I don't understand . Why bother making a great headphone and put a cheap cable on it... even with flagship models like t1 and t5p.

With audioquest this problem won't exzist, I hope )

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #60 of 957
Night hawk? Sounds like a name of a character from world of Warcraft or something...
Hmmm, always fun to try a new headphone!
For example , Beyerdynamic makes good headphones and sell it with horrible cables, they buy in cheap cables from somewhere else and that's something I don't understand . Why bother making a great headphone and put a cheap cable on it... even with flagship models like t1 and t5p.

With audioquest this problem won't exzist, I hope )

Are the cables really that bad on Beyers? Another problem I noticed is most Beyers don't have detachable cables either and the ones that do, good luck finding an aftermarket cable with the proprietary 6-pin Beyer connector. Senns and AKGs tend to have bad cables as well, but at least most are replaceable. True, hopefully this headphone has a good stock cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back