AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Oct 18, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #916 of 957
While in still enjoying them, they still aren't on the level of the HD650. If you EQ the bass down the NH actually sounds rough. It's upper ranges are quite peaky. The big mid bass helps to cover a lot of the upper issues. The HD650 is smooth from bass to treble which is quite rare in a headphone. The forward mids do get a little fatiguing at higher volumes though and this is where the NH comes in. I'm enjoying the bass extension but when I want to hear vocals I switched to the 650.

If the NH had more linear mids I think it would be less controversial. The upper mids make female vocals sound too muted.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #917 of 957
While in still enjoying them, they still aren't on the level of the HD650. If you EQ the bass down the NH actually sounds rough. It's upper ranges are quite peaky. The big mid bass helps to cover a lot of the upper issues. The HD650 is smooth from bass to treble which is quite rare in a headphone. The forward mids do get a little fatiguing at higher volumes though and this is where the NH comes in. I'm enjoying the bass extension but when I want to hear vocals I switched to the 650.

If the NH had more linear mids I think it would be less controversial. The upper mids make female vocals sound too muted.

You're listening on a Little Dot mk3 right? 

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #919 of 957

Hi hachiko- I have the revision hd650 with silver drivers and imo I don't think the female vocals are muted on the NH in comparison. I think it's a little laid back than the hd650, but it's nowhere to a point where I feel like It's trapped and is not expressed.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #920 of 957

To your ears perhaps but not to mine! Norah Jones right up to the sopranos singing with the Berlin Philharmonic sound great on mine!
I forgot to add that the NH's are recommended by Chord for their new Mojo! Now that sounds like respect to me. Maybe they are not over-rated!

Leo
wink_face.gif

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #921 of 957
To your ears perhaps but not to mine! Norah Jones right up to the sopranos singing with the Berlin Philharmonic sound great on mine!
I forgot to add that the NH's are recommended by Chord for their new Mojo! Now that sounds like respect to me. Maybe they are not over-rated!

Leo:wink_face:  

Nighthawks did recently receive CNET's 2015 headphones of the year award. aside from all that, I really think NH is a great headphone.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #922 of 957

Leo:wink_face:  

On mine too, perhaps it is the rest of your system.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #923 of 957
On mine too, perhaps it is the rest of your system.

The rest of my system is made up of two different DAC/Headphone Amps of extremely high quality: the much misunderstood Light Harmonic Pulse X Infinity which undeservedly got chuckles from some because of the seeming fiasco of the crowdfunding that Light Harmonics carried out, but make no mistake,  this unit contains two of the best that ESS Sabre can provide, one for each channel and the finest caps, resistors, two Femto clocks and the best volume electronics one can imagine. Plus, the designer took great pains to make the Infinity special. It is not for sale retail and if it was would place it in a cost category of 3K+. It rocks. Then I have the wonderful Benchmark 1 USB, solid and reliable as can be...it came in about 1.2K when new. The results by both are astounding with any of my headphones, but with the Hawks, astounding is faint praise...I like the word preternatural.
Leo 
L3000.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #925 of 957
I can't wait for my new nearly 8 foot XLR 4 pin balanced cable to arrive from AudioQuest  for my Nighthawks and plug it into the balanced plug in on my LH Pulse X Infinity. Sacre bleu!  Ah life is good!

Leo

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #926 of 957
Also Mr Grey are the headphones easy to take apart to replace the rubber holder?

Yes, I designed NightHawk to be modular and easily repairable by the end-user should they desire to.

I am a supporter of the end-users' Right to Repair.

To perform a suspension band repair, you need a spudger tool and PH00 Phillips style screwdriver.
The spudger tool is used to remove the outer snap ring which holds the suspension band in place. Then the band is detached / attached with 8 Phillips screws.
Pretty easy to do, and I can give you video instructions.

But if you don't want to do it, we can do it for you under warranty. Totally up to you.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #927 of 957
Yes, I designed NightHawk to be modular and easily repairable by the end-user should they desire to.

To perform a suspension band repair, you need a spudger tool and PH00 Phillips style screwdriver.
The spudger tool is used to remove the outer snap ring which holds the suspension band in place. Then the band is detached / attached with 8 Phillips screws.

But if you don't want to do it, we can do it for you under warranty. Totally up to you.

Sent u a PM

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #928 of 957

To perform a suspension band repair, you need a [URL=http://mendatools.descoindustries.com/MendaToolsCatalog/ProbesandSpudgers/35622/]spudger tool[/URL] and PH00 Phillips style screwdriver.

That's awesome, and rare these days...

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #929 of 957

Is the Nighthawk fully modular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back