AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Sep 26, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #886 of 957

You should hear how the soundstage takes off with a tube amp; it's pretty epic. And that's with unbalanced cables. 

Which tube amp are you using with them?

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #887 of 957
  For those who have not tried the Nighthawk's balanced, I highly recommend it. Definitely improves openess in the sound stage and makes them less muddy. Personally, I would not run them any other way at home. 

Does Audioquest have a balanced cable for the Nighthawk now? How do I get one? I don't see it on their website.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #888 of 957

Does Audioquest have a balanced cable for the Nighthawk now? How do I get one? I don't see it on their website.

No but any balanced cable for the Oppo PM-1/PM-2, Sennheiser HD700, Hi-Fi Man HE1000 will work.

Sep 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #889 of 957

For those who have not tried the Nighthawk's balanced, I highly recommend it. Definitely improves openess in the sound stage and makes them less muddy. Personally, I would not run them any other way at home. 

I just finished listening to the last of the symphonies by Sibelius Symphonies on the Berlin Philharmonic's Digital Concert Hall with my unbalanced NH's...if those performances were muddy  and closed in any way, then I can hardly wait to hear them when my balanced cables arrive from AudioQuest.

Leo

Ive learned that certain perceptions of how different parts of the frequency spectrum sound through
headphones are really more music genre specific that are only really relevant for that particular type
of recording.

For several years now through various headphones , through several hundreds of listening of Orchestral recordings there are a few different types of sound description that don't seem to "translate" to a sound problems I usually across in this music. The music is simply too densely wide dynamic in nature for the same type of recording techniques (that may lead to muddy sound) to be used. This is not to say that's not to say that all the Orchestral recordings are well recorded, but something as obvious as "muddy bass is not going to be make it onto the recording due to the basic microphone placement formulas that are used over & over again.

I have a "Radar" that normally tells me if I should be concerned about what someone is saying about a headphone by the terms being used to describe what they're hearing.

(Sibelius, huh ? Have you heard the Paavo Berglund / Bournemouth SO set of the Symphonies on EMI Classics
It's a nice big , lush, atmospheric set.)

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #890 of 957
Ive learned that certain perceptions of how different parts of the frequency spectrum sound through
headphones are really more music genre specific that are only really relevant for that particular type
of recording.

For several years now through various headphones , through several hundreds of listening of Orchestral recordings there are a few different types of sound description that don't seem to "translate" to a sound problems I usually across in this music. The music is simply too densely wide dynamic in nature for the same type of recording techniques (that may lead to muddy sound) to be used. This is not to say that's not to say that all the Orchestral recordings are well recorded, but something as obvious as "muddy bass is not going to be make it onto the recording due to the basic microphone placement formulas that are used over & over again.

I have a "Radar" that normally tells me if I should be concerned about what someone is saying about a headphone by the terms being used to describe what they're hearing.

(Sibelius, huh ? Have you heard the Paavo Berglund / Bournemouth SO set of the Symphonies on EMI Classics
It's a nice big , lush, atmospheric set.)

Yes sir! I just bought the Berglund/Bournemouth Symphony recordings a couple of weeks ago and I agree.

Leo

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #891 of 957

Yes sir! I just bought the Berglund/Bournemouth Symphony recordings a couple of weeks ago and I agree.

Leo

I'm sold! Where would I buy such a thing?

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #892 of 957

Leo

I'm sold! Where would I buy such a thing?

I'm pretty certain that If you didn't want to search around for it too much you could find it ArkivMusic.com. You can search Classical recordings there by Composer, Conductor, Ensemble ,etc. Any will do (I have. a hard time not buying more recordings than I planned on, as this is a very civilized, relaxed way to explore the Classical catalog of music , without.having to sort through the music I wasn't looking for)

This set is on the EMI Classics label so you can also check out emiclassic.com to see if you can find a closer
dealer to where.you're at.

Enjoy

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #893 of 957
Excellent! Thank you.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #896 of 957

I don't know if you have an Audio Visions (they have them) near you, but your nearest AudioQuest dealer should be able to get them for you. Here's the Nighthawk Facebook page and you can see the short video by Audio Visions and at about 1:00 in they say that they carry the balanced cable if you need them.  https://www.facebook.com/search/str/audioquest+nighthawk/keywords_top

Good luck!

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #900 of 957
One of the elastic cables that hold the ear up broke on my pair. Any advice?
By the way these cans are simply fantastic, my favorite headphones and I have heard or owned most of the flagship cans out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back