AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Dec 3, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #933 of 957
During listening in audio shop, I've noticed a bit boomy bass with them (with SS amp). Seller didn't know if these were burned in few hours or 100h+. So my question is : are these headhhones 'boomy/exagerated with bass' in some tracks?

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #934 of 957
  During listening in audio shop, I've noticed a bit boomy bass with them (with SS amp). Seller didn't know if these were burned in few hours or 100h+. So my question is : are these headhhones 'boomy/exagerated with bass' in some tracks?

If you think it had boomy bass in the shop, burn in won't fix it I think. Also depends on other headphones you listened to at the audio shop. If you listened to Sennheiser HD 800 and similar high end headphones, it will sound boomy in comparison. Those headphones are tuned differently to highlight details, which means they'll have more treble and less bass. 

I personally detest that tuning because it gets very sibilant/strident at higher volumes but it's obviously the preferred tuning of most audiophiles, who listen at lower levels. At higher listening levels the Nighthawk is silky smooth and very non fatiguing. 

There is no right/wrong way of listening got music, it's whatever you prefer, but I will say the Nighthawk has unequalled clarity at it's particular tuning. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #935 of 957

If you think it had boomy bass in the shop, burn in won't fix it I think. Also depends on other headphones you listened to at the audio shop. If you listened to Sennheiser HD 800 and similar high end headphones, it will sound boomy in comparison. Those headphones are tuned differently to highlight details, which means they'll have more treble and less bass. 

I personally detest that tuning because it gets very sibilant/strident at higher volumes but it's obviously the preferred tuning of most audiophiles, who listen at lower levels. At higher listening levels the Nighthawk is silky smooth and very non fatiguing. 

There is no right/wrong way of listening got music, it's whatever you prefer, but I will say the Nighthawk has unequalled clarity at it's particular tuning. 

Your words are very helpful in this matter. I generally prefere darker sound signature. I love DT150, like HD650, like LCD2, like TH600/900 with tube amps, D7000. 
The thing is if the night hawk can be compared with flagships or it is still this mid level of headphones, lets sa HD650/DT150/TH600

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #936 of 957

Your words are very helpful in this matter. I generally prefere darker sound signature. I love DT150, like HD650, like LCD2, like TH600/900 with tube amps, D7000. 
The thing is if the night hawk can be compared with flagships or it is still this mid level of headphones, lets sa HD650/DT150/TH600

At the risk of annihilation, yes they can be compared to flagship headphones, in fact I find them preferable to some because there is no exaggerated treble...just pure, musical and accurate highs. By the way, once and for all, using the word musical means just that! It is not a nice way of saying mediocre. Headphones are made for the purpose of listening to music for the most part, so how could musical be a bad word.
There is nothing mediocre about the NH's.
Leo

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #937 of 957
  At the risk of annihilation, yes they can be compared to flagship headphones, in fact I find them preferable to some because there is no exaggerated treble...just pure, musical and accurate highs. By the way, once and for all, using the word musical means just that! It is not a nice way of saying mediocre. Headphones are made for the purpose of listening to music for the most part, so how could musical be a bad word.
There is nothing mediocre about the NH's.
Leo

I completely agree with you Leo and I also prefer Nighthawks to every flagship headphone I've ever heard or bought. In fact, I 1st heard the Nighthawk at Can Jam and it was the headphone that impressed me most at the entire event-I bought the last pair on the spot. 

The problem is as i said before, listening level and personal preference. you never know what someone's personal preference is and they may have a completely different opinion. Most people that listen to high end headphones don't know the treble is exaggerated and get very offended if you try to tell them. On the flip side, even more people don't know bass is bloated in most low to mid fi cans and think that it's the norm. 

The frustrating for me was i've been searching for a headphone with a natural, non-fatiguing presentation and i believe it's finally here with the Nighthawk-and nobody knows it, lol.

Audiophiles think it's muddy and the bass is bloated, bassheads, well actually most seem to enjoy it quite a lot, because the clarity can't be beat. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #938 of 957

I would say the Nighthawk is on the flagship level, it does take some time to appreciate fully in my experience as it does take a different approach sonically. I owned both the DT 150 and HD 650 for a long time, after owning the Nighthawks for a few days I had trouble even listening to either headphone and I still feel that way.

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #940 of 957
  As I understand DT150 are much inferior?

The DT 150 does many things right I, I would say one of the best mid-tier headphones there is, it's biggest problems is some uneveness in it's response and it could do with more impact and sure-footedness in it's bass. The HD 650 while smoother in it's frequency response and has more warmth and bass presence, lacks some resolution and imaging ability compared to the DT 150. I found the Nighthawks is better than both in pretty much all ways, it is a bit warmer and darker than both but really has the strengths of both headphones without eithers weaknesses to my ears. The bass can take some getting used to compared to other headphones as I have found it strong for a headphone(still not to speaker levels but very impressive for a headphone).

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #943 of 957
  As I understand DT150 are much inferior?

That all depends on the listener. Everyone has different priorities. As Kman notes, once he'd listened to the NightHawk's it was hard to go back. I too found the same thing. Once I'd "really" listened to the NightHawks (fully burned in and listened over a long period of time to many different types of music) it was hard to go back to my AKG's. And having reviewed the Audeze, HiFIMAN and Oppo planer's, as much as I enjoyed them and what they did right (and I LOVE planer sound), the NightHawk's just offered my ears more of what I want a headphone to do for me when I put a pair on (not to mention my head - damn the NightHawk's are comfortable).

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #944 of 957
  Thank You,
Is NH sometimes boomy, overemphasized on bass?

I don't find it so either. Is the bass there? Yes, you'll hear it. But to my ears, only in context with the rest of the music. I never got the feeling it was over blown. On classical, it made the bass and cello more a part of the orchestra. On jazz (my fav), it allowed the bass player to really set the foundation the rest of the band played off of. On rock, I could hear the bass line better, it was no longer buried in the mix. BUT, it never dominated the sound. So no, it's not boomy to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back