AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Apr 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,142 of 2,514
Quote:

That would be my guess though I didn't know about such a problem. Interesting... You have any problems with yours?

Well, I recently tried using the DF as a line-level source into my NuForce Icon HDP.  Following AQ's directions, I turned the volume on the device all the way up for line-level output.  I really like the DragonFly as a DAC, but I though the sound was a little 'hot', to be honest - maybe even a little distorted.  After I read the Stereophile review, I was wondering if I have an early unit that overdrives at max volume.  Subsequent units (most of them) have a limited in place that forces max volume to be at 0dB (as opposed to +6dB, if I recall correctly).

Maybe I should contact AQ and see about a replacement unit...

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,143 of 2,514
Quote:

Well, I recently tried using the DF as a line-level source into my NuForce Icon HDP.  Following AQ's directions, I turned the volume on the device all the way up for line-level output.  I really like the DragonFly as a DAC, but I though the sound was a little 'hot', to be honest - maybe even a little distorted.  After I read the Stereophile review, I was wondering if I have an early unit that overdrives at max volume.  Subsequent units (most of them) have a limited in place that forces max volume to be at 0dB (as opposed to +6dB, if I recall correctly).

Maybe I should contact AQ and see about a replacement unit...

This is new to me as well in fact the drawstring bag stinks it is frayed and is useless the Dragonfly is working great but I haven't pushed the volume.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,144 of 2,514
You guys really abuse that poor bag. 
biggrin.gif
 Mine is perfect and I bought my DF a week after they came out. I am using it now with my JH16's via the MBPro....Great little device.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,146 of 2,514
I managed to pick up a three weeks old DF for just $160 (retail price here in Norway is $350).

As many ohers I'm very impressed with this little thing. It's compact, heavy and looks stunning, not to mention the sound..

I love the way it pairs both with my Schiit Magni and my LD I+. I do enjoy it most paired with another amp but from the headphone out it's still an upgrade from the Udac2. My main use will be with my laptop when travelling as a direct replacement for the Udac2.

So far I'm very happy
beyersmile.png

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #1,147 of 2,514
Quote:
How is the amp section on this?

Would pairing one with a fiio e17 would be a good combo?

I don't know what you would be driving but I don't think the DragonFly needs additional amplification unless you're using something like a planar-type. It's got some amplification built in iirc.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,148 of 2,514
So I've just received mine and on a mac with iTunes volume maxed I'm noticing that turning the OSX volume down from the keyboard doesn't turn it down all the way and you have to mute to get actual silence. Also surprised that it's only taking 3 notches to drive me IE8's as loud as need be. Does this all sound right?

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,149 of 2,514
Quote:
So I've just received mine and on a mac with iTunes volume maxed I'm noticing that turning the OSX volume down from the keyboard doesn't turn it down all the way and you have to mute to get actual silence. Also surprised that it's only taking 3 notches to drive me IE8's as loud as need be. Does this all sound right?

It does, actually.  If you are using straight iTunes, you can try using the SHIFT-Option-Vol keys together to invoke the fine grained volume control w/ the DragonFly.

However, since you just spent $250.00 on the DF, why not spend $10.00 more on a copy of Bitperfect from the App store to go with it.  Trust me, it's 10 bucks well spent for your new DAC/amp and iTunes on a Mac.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,150 of 2,514
I've got Amarra. 

So what's the explanation as to why the volume doesn't decrease to zero without muting it? I've had several USB dacs over the years and this is the first to do that.

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,151 of 2,514
Quote:
I've got Amarra. 

So what's the explanation as to why the volume doesn't decrease to zero without muting it? I've had several USB dacs over the years and this is the first to do that.

I have the same set up. I am running iTunes>Amarra 2.4.5>DF and didn't have this issue. Are you sure the blue Amarra light is on or is it the yellow iTunes light on the Amarra head panel.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,152 of 2,514
The blue light's on so I know Amarra's running, but I've also tried it just going straight through iTunes. Anything played through my computer can still be heard with volume down to 0%. Hopefully I hear other people weigh in but I'll get an email in to AQ in the mean time.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,153 of 2,514
Quote:
The blue light's on so I know Amarra's running, but I've also tried it just going straight through iTunes. Anything played through my computer can still be heard with volume down to 0%. Hopefully I hear other people weigh in but I'll get an email in to AQ in the mean time.

I assume both the iTunes panel and Amarra panel are both on full volume otherwise I have no idea why. I'm on a Mac as well and this has not been a problem.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,154 of 2,514
I've got Amarra. 

It might be the first USB DAC you've had that employs a host-controlled analogue volume control built into the hardware to control the headphone volume though, as opposed to relying on signal processing in the host device to reduce volume in the digital domain, or a conventional pot. With the Dragonfly, the stream of bits sent to the DAC remains the same regardless of the volume setting on the host; the volume control is instead mapped to the Dragonfly's analogue control.

Through the driver, your computer is telling the Dragonfly to reduce its analogue volume control to minimum. I'm guessing "minimum" for the Dragonfly is still slightly audible, i.e. one step above mute. Mute will be either instructing the Dragonfly to mute itself completely or instead muting in the digital domain before the data is sent.

My Dragonfly behaves the same as yours on my iPad. I was actually OK with this, as I took this behaviour as a sign that the iPad driver was correctly mapping the software volume control to the Dragonfly's analog volume control.

Apr 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,155 of 2,514
Quote:
It might be the first USB DAC you've had that employs a host-controlled analogue volume control built into the hardware to control the headphone volume though

I have a Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, and HRT Microstreamer which all attenuate in the analog domain.  Only the Dragonfly has volume at step 0.  

I guess one way to look at it is you have that extra step of volume to play with.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back