AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Feb 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,066 of 2,514
I have no luck, there is no sound out.    

Setup:   Samsung Galaxy Note II phone,   with OTG (on the go) USB cable.      The power shouldn't be a problem, because the $10 USB cable I bought connects 3 things together: usb charger, phone and DF.  The USB wall charger provides extra power to the DF.

Result:   DF turns pink, which is not too bad.   Note II seems detected something, because when playing music Note II's internal speaker silent.
But DF is also silent.

I guess android doesn't have driver for this kind of usb audio device.   Maybe wait for 4.2.2 and see.

Quote:
Maybe dumb question but need fast answer, is this thingy capable delivering audio @ Android?

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,067 of 2,514
DF in action...
24/192 FLAC lossless files on portable drive, JRiver 18, DF, HD800's......

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,068 of 2,514
DF with the HD800? 
blink.gif
 I though the HD800 was one of the pickiest phones with amps.  How is it?
Quote:
DF in action...

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,069 of 2,514
Quote:
DF with the HD800? 
blink.gif
 I though the HD800 was one of the pickiest phones with amps.  How is it?
Quote:
DF in action...

I am enjoying it MV...Sometimes the HD800's rep for being analytical and picky gets way overstated. Granted, I was using hi rez files.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,070 of 2,514
Wow.. on the other hand, I enjoy it with the HD700.. might audition with the HD800 someday just for giggles.
Quote:

I am enjoying it MV...Sometimes the HD800's rep for being analytical and picky gets way overstated. Granted, I was using hi rez files.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,071 of 2,514
Quote:

Setup:   Samsung Galaxy Note II phone,   with OTG (on the go) USB cable.      The power shouldn't be a problem, because the $10 USB cable I bought connects 3 things together: usb charger, phone and DF.  The USB wall charger provides extra power to the DF.

Result:   DF turns pink, which is not too bad.   Note II seems detected something, because when playing music Note II's internal speaker silent.
But DF is also silent.

I guess android doesn't have driver for this kind of usb audio device.   Maybe wait for 4.2.2 and see.

you might wanna try with an app, USB audio recorder, it can playback to a usb device.

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,072 of 2,514
Tried it,  still no luck,    USB Audio Recorder PRO can not recognize DF as playback device.
Anyone succeeded?

Quote:
you might wanna try with an app, USB audio recorder, it can playback to a usb device.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,074 of 2,514
I hide under a rock away from this place every other year or so for my own sanity so I'm just now discovering this thing. Looking to replace my nuforce udac with one. I use the nuforce for iems as well as mini to rca'ing to my audioengine a5's but as the dragonfly only has one input, would I just plug the mini to rca in and plug the headphones in the input of my a5's? I know it's also as simple as just switching back and forth between the headphone jack and the rca but if I'd like to keep my connection to both steady as I like to just switch back and forth using soundsource, is this the way to go about it? I've never done a setup that involves plugging headphones into speakers so I'm just doublechecking here. Even better if anyone reading this is doing the same thing

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #1,075 of 2,514
Quote:

I have read in multiple places that you cannot as it pulls too much power.  I have not done any tests myself though.

Tapatalk refused to send this morning or I would have replied sooner...

So you are saying that it is capable and everything works ok if there is enough power? What about external power feed mod (Lithium battery or something)?

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,076 of 2,514
Just picked one up at Best Buy.  Looking forward to try it with Macbook/Audirvana Plus.  I think they should come with the Dragon Tail.  Seems like it would be easy to bump it if you use a laptop as a laptop.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,077 of 2,514
So far I am pretty, impressed by this little thing.  I'm on a Macbook with Audirvana Plus, HD600/Cardas.  Listened to some HD Tracks and was really impressed.  Still want a Dragontail

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,078 of 2,514
Quote:
So you are saying that it is capable and everything works ok if there is enough power? What about external power feed mod (Lithium battery or something)?

I guess not.... 

Quote:

But DF is also silent.

If I had a OTG cable and a powered hub I would test with my mom's S3 but I would guess my results would be the same as yfei's.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,079 of 2,514
I tried 88.2 with Media Monkey and WASAPI (Foobar wouldn't output the sound in WASAPI) on my broken Dragonfly and it worked perfectly.  Guess its a clock issue like the Audioquest guy was saying.  Still fighting to get a new one sent to me that works.  Hopefully I can get the rep at Audio Advisor to test another one and send it to me tomorrow.  I really just want a working one and get this thing solved.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,080 of 2,514
I had some problems with a DF purchased a few months ago, read some posts on other forums that they had qc issues perhaps in their earlier units.
Sent it back to dealer and got a replacement today. Now I get no audio whatsoever.

I tried it on two windows machines aside from my linux box: one I got no audio, the other it turned blue while playing 44.1k files and I had to hold it tightly in the usb port in order to get any audo. If i just let it sit in the port without holding it no audio or digital hash.

So I think I'm throwing in the towel on this one even though the first one sounded great, but I could only get it to play 44.1k files.

The higher sample rates would sometimes play if I jiggled it in the usb port, but then it would cut out.

Initially I was thinking the problems were linux related but since I had bad experiences on windows as well I'm thinking that I wasn't meant for this device or I got 2 duds in a row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back