AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #991 of 2,514
Both....Look I like the DF and have owned it since nearly the first day it came out. However, it is not kryptonite. The fostex has a superior amp and dac. It should for the price and because it does not have the size constraints that the DF does. In the end, they are both terrific and each accomplishes a different role. Remember, I use both regularly so I do not have a dog in this fight. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #993 of 2,514
Ok JDS Labs does not have the odac in stock however they do have the case for the odac for around 29 dollars. I ordered one and hopefully I will be able to get the dragonfly in there. I am not sure if I want to try to mod it if possible or secure the dragonfly in there and then use a USB adapter to go to a female mini USB connection.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #994 of 2,514
Quote:
I currently have the dragonfly on trial. I've tried hooking it up to my Squeezebox Touch, using Triode's Digital Output option. I was hoping for the touch being able to control the volume of the Dragonfly, but this does not seem to happen. 

I tried this with a hub, no change. Still substantially lowered output at SBT max volume.  So don't think this will work, unless you are running directly into an amp and already have too much gain in your system.

Cheers

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #995 of 2,514
Quote:
Anyone have any problems with it handling high resolution files?  I found out why it wasn't working until I fiddled with it: the replacement Dragonfly can't seem to handle high resolution input.  When downsampled to 16 bit/ 44100 it worked just fine, but playing anything higher is a no go.  Same with Windows.  When I set it to anything higher than 24 bit/44100 it will not play anything.  The light lights up the correct color but plays nothing. It was a gift from my parents and they already have these two charged on their card, not sure if its a dud I want to have them spend more money (even when its just temporarily) to have Audio Advisor send yet another.  It seems they have a high failure rate....

I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was a loose connection issue, but now I realize what you said is the exact problem. 44.1k works perfectly. Any other sample rate gives me either hash or no sound.

I wrote to audioquest a few times. Very spotty technical service. Sometimes they don't respond. Once they told me to change to use one particular playback program, which is not a fix as far as I'm concerned.

(I'm using this under linux)

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #996 of 2,514
Quote:

I'm having the same problem. At first I thought it was a loose connection issue, but now I realize what you said is the exact problem. 44.1k works perfectly. Any other sample rate gives me either hash or no sound.

I wrote to audioquest a few times. Very spotty technical service. Sometimes they don't respond. Once they told me to change to use one particular playback program, which is not a fix as far as I'm concerned.

(I'm using this under linux)

If are still under the return date of whenever you bought it you can grab a new one.  Audio Advisor has been great and they will be shipping me a new one whenever they get the first one.  If not you can call in to Audioquest but support doesn't seem all that great.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #997 of 2,514
Received the dragonfly today from Amazon.  It certainly has more than enough juice to power my Heir Audio 8.a's.  I have the volume at 21 in Windows and maxed out in foobar and it is on the borderline of being too loud.  As most have noted this is a very good dac, currently listening to the Airborne Toxic Event Live from the Walt Disney Concert Hall (one of my all time favorite albums) and the sound is phenomenal.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,000 of 2,514
Quote:
Hey guys,

No doubt that I have been enjoying the DRAGONFLY as a DAC/AMP when I am at the different coffee shops where I hang out....

but call it a case of upgraditis, would I benefit from adding a portable amp (like something from ALO's lineup) to my coffee-shop hif-fidelity experience?
or is the amp section out of the DF just as good as the ALO amps (ie. Continental, National, Rx, etc)

Thanks for the answer in advance,

LAmitchell

Dude in that picture you look just like Chris Hardwick.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,002 of 2,514
Unfortunately I have not faired well with the dragonfly. I purchased both from Amazon as brand new. The first one I received was a used return which had the draw string bag. Which I believe is a rev 1 and the second one had the leather pouch which I believe is rev 2. The second one refused to play at 48k or 96k. Although the first return was not a Audioquest issue but an amazon issue I have decided to call it quits and ordered a dacport lx from Amazon. As I really enjoyed the sabre sound I think I will order an odac as well.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,003 of 2,514
Quote:
Unfortunately I have not faired well with the dragonfly. I purchased both from Amazon as brand new. The first one I received was a used return which had the draw string bag. Which I believe is a rev 1 and the second one had the leather pouch which I believe is rev 2. The second one refused to play at 48k or 96k. Although the first return was not a Audioquest issue but an amazon issue I have decided to call it quits and ordered a dacport lx from Amazon. As I really enjoyed the sabre sound I think I will order an odac as well.

I got the string pouch first and it had a giant list of problems.  The second one I got had the leather pouch and has the same problem you just described.  Makes me wonder what is up.  The first one should be back at Audio Adviser tomorrow so I will be ordering a third one and will report what happens with it.  I really love this thing but I am not sure how much longer I should keep trying if this replacement doesn't work either.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,004 of 2,514
Zero issues from day one....It has worked as advertised with both my MBPro with Amarra and my HP Elite PC with JRiver 18. I use it regularly with my HD25-1 ii's and ACS T1's.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,005 of 2,514
I have a couple of HP Elites as well. Really great notebooks.

For me the second one did it. The dacport lx gets a lot of love around here and for the same price as the dragonfly I couldn't pass it up. Plus I had a 10 off coupon. Looking forward to it and the odac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back