AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,006 of 2,514
My Elite is the Desktop version....I have had it for years and the only ting left inside that is original is the motherboard!

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,009 of 2,514
From what I have read nope, its Windows 8 that has problems.  I would tell you from personal experience but both mine have been duds. 
size]

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,010 of 2,514
I've been limping along with Windows XP and just ordered a Windows 7 computer.  I haven't been paying attention to this, but presumably there are no Dragonfly <-> Win 7 issues?

It has worked fine with both Win 7 & 8 for me.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,011 of 2,514
Not sure if this is the place to ask or if it has been asked before, but for some reason my dragonfly doesn't output any sound when set to 44.1k or 82.2k, regardless of what kind of file I'm playing.  Most of my stuff is 44.1k, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but all I get are clicks.  Works perfectly fine on 48k and 96k, and since everything sounds significantly better on 96k, I usually just leave it at that.  I'm using  a macbook pro, and set up all the settings according to the manual.  Also, is there a reason not to just leave it on 96k?  Even though most of my files are 44.1k, they, along with youtube videos, sound so much better on 96k than 48k that I don't see the point in using any other setting.  I'm fairly new to head-fi (long time lurker) and this is my first real post, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh and btw, I did use the search function before asking lol

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,012 of 2,514
Quote:
Not sure if this is the place to ask or if it has been asked before, but for some reason my dragonfly doesn't output any sound when set to 44.1k or 82.2k, regardless of what kind of file I'm playing.  Most of my stuff is 44.1k, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but all I get are clicks.  Works perfectly fine on 48k and 96k, and since everything sounds significantly better on 96k, I usually just leave it at that.  I'm using  a macbook pro, and set up all the settings according to the manual.  Also, is there a reason not to just leave it on 96k?  Even though most of my files are 44.1k, they, along with youtube videos, sound so much better on 96k than 48k that I don't see the point in using any other setting.  I'm fairly new to head-fi (long time lurker) and this is my first real post, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh and btw, I did use the search function before asking lol

On Mac go to launch>utilities>Midi audio then manually set the output you want in 44.1 the DF should light green.  I assume you meant 88.2 which should light yellow.  

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #1,013 of 2,514
I love that Head-Fi is a place to be honest about how well certain products 
are performing.  Having said that, I hope someone thinking about getting a
DRAGONFLY is not put off by the few people that are having problems.

I believe the problems they experienced are real / honest, it's just that for
every ONE person having a problem, there could be  FIVE-HUNDRED people
having a GREAT time with the Dragonfly (including me).

I hope I'm not coming across as a defender of the DF - it's just that I am really
LOVING this product (and probably wouldn't have bought it if I saw these negative posts
about it because I would have made the wrong assumptions). Mine came with the
little black pouch, and I just got some Sennie AMPERIORS to use it at coffee shops, etc. 

I love the new dac technology - gettin' better, faster, cheaper, clearer, and
more analog-ish each time a new one comes out!

LAmitchell

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #1,014 of 2,514
I don't think I've heard of a high-res USB DAC that hasn't had someone having problems with Windows lately. It's almost as bad as when Windows started offering USB support in 98.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,015 of 2,514
Quote:

I believe the problems they experienced are real / honest, it's just that for
every ONE person having a problem, there could be  FIVE-HUNDRED people
having a GREAT time with the Dragonfly (including me).

I hope I'm not coming across as a defender of the DF - it's just that I am really
LOVING this product (and probably wouldn't have bought it if I saw these negative posts
about it because I would have made the wrong assumptions). Mine came with the
little black pouch, and I just got some Sennie AMPERIORS to use it at coffee shops, etc. 

I love the new dac technology - gettin' better, faster, cheaper, clearer, and
more analog-ish each time a new one comes out!

LAmitchell

+1 to that!

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,016 of 2,514
I just purchased a Dragonfly and set it up as per the instructions in the pamphlet.  My media player of choice is VLC and when I raise the volume of VLC above the 100 percent mark I get static in the sound.  This is the case on two seperate laptops.  Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and is anyone aware of a fix?

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,018 of 2,514
Quote:
On Mac go to launch>utilities>Midi audio then manually set the output you want in 44.1 the DF should light green.  I assume you meant 88.2 which should light yellow.  

Lol yeah sorry I meant 88.2.  And that's the problem, when I set the output in MIDI to 44.1 or 88.2, all I get are clicks, even though the files are 44.1.  I have tried all 4 sampling rates and it changes to the correct color, just no sound on 44.1/88.2.  Also, is there a reason not to set it on a higher sampling rate?  Should it sound better at the correct rate?  I love this little thing, just not sure why I can't get it to work for me.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,019 of 2,514

Quote:

If it's just a few problems, and only the few of us that have posted are having problems then +1 
biggrin.gif

From what I have heard from Audio Advisor (guy I have been talking to has been completely open and honest) the problems I have seen here are common RMA problems, but not common in all their sales.  Just throwing an example out to clarify: out of the 5% returned 90% have the the same or similar problems.

You should use the standard windows volume slider, i think VLC has its own digital volume control that doesn't get control of dragonfly, keep the vlc in 100%, and use system volume.

+1.  Max out VLC and use the Windows volume control.  VLC takes that audio stream and digitally blows the audio up which can cause some interesting results, damaging the transmission of the file along the way.  I never go over 100% unless I really need to (when using cheapo, quiet speakers) and even then I refuse to go past ~125%. 

Quote:

Lol yeah sorry I meant 88.2.  And that's the problem, when I set the output in MIDI to 44.1 or 88.2, all I get are clicks, even though the files are 44.1.  I have tried all 4 sampling rates and it changes to the correct color, just no sound on 44.1/88.2.  Also, is there a reason not to set it on a higher sampling rate?  Should it sound better at the correct rate?  I love this little thing, just not sure why I can't get it to work for me.

So which are having problems?  Audioquest misunderstood me and thought I was saying your exact problem.  If its 44.1 and 88.2 then the clock control on the DF is defective and needs to be repaired since one clock controls 44.1 and 88.2 and the other one controls 48 and 96.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,020 of 2,514
Quote:

I assume you are setting the bit rate right as well as the frequency.  If all the settings are right I would agree with gidgiddoniha as stated above.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back