AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #976 of 2,514
Quote:

Hmmm.  Then mine must be a dud. I left a message with AudioQuest tech support (it was a personalized message for one person which doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in support over there) and hope to hear back. 

Ask for Alisdair at Audioquest....He will handle your concerns for you...

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #977 of 2,514
Hi,

I currently have the dragonfly on trial. I've tried hooking it up to my Squeezebox Touch, using Triode's Digital Output option. I was hoping for the touch being able to control the volume of the Dragonfly, but this does not seem to happen. This is how I figure it to be so:

* Full volume setting on the SBT, Dragonfly has notably softer output than my DacMagic connected to the SBT (or the analog output from my TV for that matter). We are talking 50% softer here - my pre-amp volume knob moves from 9->12, to match volume.
* Connecting headphones directly to the output of the Dragon fly:
-PC: Volume control at between 5% and 15% is plenty loud, depending on the track.
-SBT: Volume control at 20%, you can hardly hear anything.

Does anyone know if the SBT is supposed to be able to control the volume control of the Dragonfly? If so, how to make if work? I'm not using a USB hub and I don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #979 of 2,514
Quote:
I've been considering the Sennheiser Amperior or Beyerdynamic DT1350 to go along with the DragonFly.
Any thoughts on how well those headphones will match with the DragonFly?
One better than the other?  If so, why?
Thanks!

Did you end up trying out any of those combos?  I am REALLY curious about the AMPERIOR and DF together because I currently use the HD251-II with my DF and I love love love love it.

Makes me think about upgrading to the AMPERIOR. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #980 of 2,514
Did you end up trying out any of those combos?  I am REALLY curious about the AMPERIOR and DF together because I currently use the HD251-II with my DF and I love love love love it.

Makes me think about upgrading to the AMPERIOR. 

I tried the Amperior and they were just way too bright for me, but I don't think it had anything to do with the Dragonfly.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #982 of 2,514
Quote:
I've had my DF since NOVEMBER, and haven't had a problem. I seem to like it more and more and more.

Thinking about getting the DragonTail, but not sure if it would degrade the sound quality.

The DF has really impressed me, especially given form factor and price.

Why are you concerned about degrading sound quality?  It's a USB cable for heaven sakes.  So long as it's not causing bits to get dropped... unbelievably unlikely unless you are trying to use it in the middle of a place saturated with some my RF energy that your insides are cooked in which case you have bigger problems 
biggrin.gif

--Mark

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #984 of 2,514
I just ordered the dragonfly, the dragon tail and two media bridge extensions 1 6 inch and 1 6 feet all from Amazon. Everything should be here Wednesday or maybe before depending on where they ship from.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #985 of 2,514
Quote:
I just ordered the dragonfly, the dragon tail and two media bridge extensions 1 6 inch and 1 6 feet all from Amazon. Everything should be here Wednesday or maybe before depending on where they ship from.

popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #987 of 2,514
I contacted Audio Advisor and they are sending me an RMA shipping tag for the replacement Dragonfly.  I'll call on Monday to have them send me a new one when they get the first one so there aren't 3 250$ charges on my parent's card.  I'll post what happens when I get the 2nd replacement.

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #988 of 2,514
Hey guys,

No doubt that I have been enjoying the DRAGONFLY as a DAC/AMP when I am at the different coffee shops where I hang out....

but call it a case of upgraditis, would I benefit from adding a portable amp (like something from ALO's lineup) to my coffee-shop hif-fidelity experience?
or is the amp section out of the DF just as good as the ALO amps (ie. Continental, National, Rx, etc)

Thanks for the answer in advance,

LAmitchell

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #989 of 2,514
My HP-P1 is better than the DF, however, it is more than 2X the price and certainly is a brick compared to the DF. I use both. The DF I use with the MBPro as the entire lossless library is housed on it. The HP-P1 gets used with the IPC that has a more limited library, usually when I am flying. Different circumstances. For Coffee shop use if I am surfing on the MBPro I would just use the DF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back