AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #932 of 2,514
Need some advice. I am currently shopping for a headphone amp/DAC to pair with my Sennheiser's HD650's. Have a local audio store that suggested this product and the Music Fidelity's V-CAN II headphone amp. If I buy this do I even need to use a seperate headphone amp?

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #933 of 2,514
What do you guys think of this:

http://www.amazon.com/iLuv-4-Port-USB-Hub-iCB709WHT/dp/B00703BLQ2

I have one of these I use for my Macbook Air. I don't think I am sacrificing any quality and it works better for me than a Dragontail would because of the need for more USB ports. I have been using my DF with it for a while and then all this talk of the tail got me wondering if I could do better.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #934 of 2,514
Quote:
Need some advice. I am currently shopping for a headphone amp/DAC to pair with my Sennheiser's HD650's. Have a local audio store that suggested this product and the Music Fidelity's V-CAN II headphone amp. If I buy this do I even need to use a seperate headphone amp?

The DragonFly drives the HD650 pretty well. I just did a quick comparison over 4 songs on the HD650 via the DragonFly, then via my regular desktop rig (Rega DAC/Little Dot MkIII).

For money, the DragonFly is a good DAC/Amp. It gives an enjoyable listen with the HD650, with more then enough power to drive it. I only use up to step 45 of the 64 step analog attenuator in the DF. 

Compared to my desktop rig, the DF is a little more congested and tense. Treble is a little harsher. The Rega DAC also pulls out more detail then the DF. Overall, the Rega DAC/LD MkIII is more refined, but at 4 times the overall cost of the DF.

I use the DF at work with Sennheiser IE80/UE Triple.Fi.10 and the DF is a great compact and discrete unit for this purpose. And I think the sound quality for the money is very good. As just a standalone DAC, I think it's good value for the money as well. I prefer it as a DAC to my Music Streamer II. The DF has a more resolving and open sound then the MSII.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #937 of 2,514
Quote:
The DragonFly drives the HD650 pretty well. I just did a quick comparison over 4 songs on the HD650 via the DragonFly, then via my regular desktop rig (Rega DAC/Little Dot MkIII).

For money, the DragonFly is a good DAC/Amp. It gives an enjoyable listen with the HD650, with more then enough power to drive it. I only use up to step 45 of the 64 step analog attenuator in the DF. 

Compared to my desktop rig, the DF is a little more congested and tense. Treble is a little harsher. The Rega DAC also pulls out more detail then the DF. Overall, the Rega DAC/LD MkIII is more refined, but at 4 times the overall cost of the DF.

I use the DF at work with Sennheiser IE80/UE Triple.Fi.10 and the DF is a great compact and discrete unit for this purpose. And I think the sound quality for the money is very good. As just a standalone DAC, I think it's good value for the money as well. I prefer it as a DAC to my Music Streamer II. The DF has a more resolving and open sound then the MSII.

THANK YOU for that review. I have experimented and found that the DF with DECIBEL squeezes every last drop of data possible.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #938 of 2,514
Software players also make a big difference. I use Audirvana Plas (OSX) at home and Foobar2000 with WASAPI at work (dang locked down work laptops).

I've heard Decibel is very good as well.

I would love to see a comparison of the DragonFly with the new Schiit Modi & Magni set in terms of SQ.

I would not get the Schiit set for work as I prefer the DF size and discreetness (I moved from a HRT MSII/RSA Tommahawk setup to the DF).

The advantage I see with the DF vs the M/M combo is no cables (USB or interconnect) needed for the DF. This to me is a big advantage as there is no need to worry the added expense for quality cables.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #941 of 2,514
Quote:
I heard that using the DragonFly with iTunes will not be good because iTunes does not change the sample rate on the go. Any advice here? 

Cheers! Really looking to getting this. Looking like a solid device. 

As far as I understand iTunes is really bad if you like quality audio output.  I could be wrong though, always open to that possibility 
biggrin.gif

I use foobar with WASAPI.  My only frustration with foobar is I can't get it to sort by track number automatically.  I can force it by right clicking but that is a pain.  If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a great device, really enjoying it: solid sound and construction.

(Edited for grammar)

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #942 of 2,514
iTunes on its own is not great as an audio player. If you are using OSX, download the free version of Audirvana. This will also change the sample rates automatically (otherwise you can change it manually in Audio Midi on OSX).

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #943 of 2,514
Quote:
iTunes on its own is not great as an audio player. If you are using OSX, download the free version of Audirvana. This will also change the sample rates automatically (otherwise you can change it manually in Audio Midi on OSX).

Thanks a lot for recommending me Audirvana free! Just downloaded and will try it out later after I finish ripping some CDs. It's nice to know it reads ALAC too! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #944 of 2,514
Quote:

As far as I understand iTunes is really bad if you like quality audio output.  I could be wrong though, always open to that possibility 
biggrin.gif

I use foobar with WASAPI.  My only frustration with foobar is I can't get it to sort by track number automatically.  I can force it by right clicking but that is a pain.  If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

It's a great device, really enjoying it: solid sound and construction.

(Edited for grammar)

Well, being a Mac user with iPhone and iPod I pretty much had to stick with it. But now I'm thinking about moving away from iTunes and really considering about getting the DragonFly. I'm still waiting for my JH5 though. 

You guys have any idea if the DragonFly can work with the PS3?

Also, has anyone tried it with their JH5? I'm afraid it might be too powerful for it. Anyone?

Cheers! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #945 of 2,514
Same here but there is a solution. I use iTunes to manage my library, rip, sync and stream.  When I really want a good listen, I use Decibel. It seems to be a much better player and it can do Flac and manage bitrate changes on the fly.  Also, you can import iTunes playlists very easily. It's a good solution and and can be found on the app store.

Edit: after reading about Audirvana, I'm going to give it a try. The reviews are extremely positive and it can integrate with iTunes.

Quote:
Well, being a Mac user with iPhone and iPod I pretty much had to stick with it. But now I'm thinking about moving away from iTunes and really considering about getting the DragonFly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back