AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Oct 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #766 of 2,514
Quote:
I'm not sure about Grado dealers there, you could try phoning around to the local Hi-Fi shops. There's also what looks to be the Canadian Grado distributor and Headphone Bar in BC who carry Grado. If none of those work, as mentioned there's eBay or I'm sure you could probably pick one via one of the sponsors like Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

Thanks to the advice I got here, I was able to source a local  AQ DF dealer, National Audio-Video here in Edmonton. Nice bunch of guys and, as a bonus,  they also pointed me towards a local audiophile group, the "Black Hat Desperaudios"...:)

Got another question though...I was looking at the Mediabridge USB extension cable as well as I don't like the weight of my HP cables on the DF but in Canada it retails through Amazon.ca for C$18.99+C$12.71 shipping!
There are other cheaper options available (usually in the 3 foot length) but I was wondering if a cheaper cable might have an impact on the sound in any way? 

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #767 of 2,514
Thanks for the detailed review. This product- regardless of how it actually makes music- is destined to be a success. I have one big concern that I'm sure many share who have used a thumb drive. This fragile device protruding out the side of your computer is a bit like having the car door open while driving... How many of us, whilst listening through headphones, having become lost in a reverie, and suddenly thirsting for another beer, or needing to see a man--- have arisen suddenly our listening post and yanked the headphone jack out of the socket. In the case of the product under review: Exit the snap-Dragonfly. Really, just leaning over to pick something up you could snag the headphone cord. One could also destroy the computer's USB port in the bargain. Having said that, it's laudable that a cable company, AudioQuest, would sell a cable-deprived product, and it really makes sense to eliminate the wire because I can tell you from experience that USB cables effect the sound, for better or worse. Replacing the stock USB cable on my Arcam rPac with a $20 Belkin one measurably increased the volume and had the effect of expanding the sound. In fact, I'm looking for a (cable-less) USB A-B connector plug, and I'll report on my findings. In the meantime, I would urge Dragonfly owner/headphone users to somehow secure the headphone chord short of the DAC- or just don't drink while you DAC.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #770 of 2,514
Don't be concerned. I ran the adapter for my HD650's and my custom Toxic Cables and the DF and the usb hub on the MBPro had no trouble. Everything held up well over several months.

Oct 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #773 of 2,514
Just got this tiny wonder yesterday, thanks for the recommendations guys! 
biggrin.gif
  Got it connected through a unpowered USB hub, no issues.  First impressions, much more details and a well-defined 'layering' of instruments in the mix as compared to what I was using before (X-Fi 5.1 Pro).  Pricey (For something that looks this small!) but worth the outlay

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #774 of 2,514
Quote:
Just got this tiny wonder yesterday, thanks for the recommendations guys! 
biggrin.gif
  Got it connected through a unpowered USB hub, no issues.  First impressions, much more details and a well-defined 'layering' of instruments in the mix as compared to what I was using before (X-Fi 5.1 Pro).  Pricey (For something that looks this small!) but worth the outlay

I love the portability of the dragonfly.  I use it at home and at the office via MBAir. I bought a media bridge to connect out of the usb port as it seemed to be  an easy target for an accident.

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #775 of 2,514
The 20 USD Belkin cable I substituted for my Arcam rPac's stock cable made an undeniable difference, louder and a sense of greater expansion. Not pushing the Belkin cable, it was just a relatively cheap way to experiment. No cable would probably be the best cable, though, if you can figure out a way to secure the headphone cord short of the DF or go with the USB right angle adapter. I haven't heard the Dragonfly, but I can't imagine a more musically communicative setup for the money than the rPac/Fidelia player combo.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #777 of 2,514
No dac I know of automatically downsamples the signal. You have to let foobar downsample to 96 before sending the signal to the Dragonfly

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #778 of 2,514
I love people think the DF is pricey, because of it's size.... it has a really good async USB dac and a head amp that will drive moderately hard to drive cans decently.... i'd say there's nothing pricey about it.. the Value is there who care's what the size is...

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #779 of 2,514
I just use this USB extension  Cheap and pretty.. USB >> Cable >> DF >> Grado 1/8 to 1/4 Adaptopr >> HD700.
http://www.sw-box.com/USB-Extension-Cable-For-Apple-iPhone-And-Other-USB-Enabled-Devices.html

Quote:
I'll try that but I'm still a bit concerned about the combined weight of my Grado adapter plus the cable from my Denon's on the DF and the USB port....

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #780 of 2,514
I have a question:
it is known to be congested with complex classical passages (for example).
Now, is it the DACs fault, or the AMPs fault?
meaning.. if i connect it to an ext. amp. will the problem resolve?

thanks!
/Eyal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back