AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #707 of 2,514
Any Audioquest dealer in Edmonton should have a DF in stock. Heck the mall should have it somewhere! That place has enough stores to cover almost anything!

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #708 of 2,514
Quote:

I'm not sure about Grado dealers there, you could try phoning around to the local Hi-Fi shops. There's also what looks to be the Canadian Grado distributor and Headphone Bar in BC who carry Grado. If none of those work, as mentioned there's eBay or I'm sure you could probably pick one via one of the sponsors like Todd The Vinyl Junkie.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #709 of 2,514
I'm very leery of the price. The actual DAC chip in it looks to be a $4 part, and obviously a lot less in bulk. There must be some magical parts in there to bump it up to $250.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #710 of 2,514
So I received mine yesterday and love it.  I have been using it almost non-stop and it pairs wonderfully with the ie 80s - great clarity and quality throughout the sound spectrum.  However, one thing concerns me about the DAC for the long term.  When I plug the DF into a USB 2.0 port it works perfectly.  However, when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port it doesn't get recognized.  I've tried this on two separate notebooks with the same result.  Both are running Windows 7 64 bit.  Anyone have any ideas?

Also, did anyone figure out if this can be used with a Galaxy S III?

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #711 of 2,514
Google sounds positive that the S3 supports USB audio as a host, so all you'd need is a cable.

I make no promises, tho. I don't know anything about compatibility and drivers.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #712 of 2,514
Quote:
Google sounds positive that the S3 supports USB audio as a host, so all you'd need is a cable.

Well, we will soon find out.  I just ordered the cable, so I will update everyone in this thread.

In other news, I did a bit of research with regards to issues with USB 3.0 and came across this: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

It appears the DF is falling victim to this, which is concerning me as at some point USB 2.0 will get discontinued.  As I just spent $250, I would hate to think that it may be useless on my next laptop.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #713 of 2,514
Quote:

The problem I see is the DF relies on getting its power from the USB port so unless the S3 is sporting a powered USB port I would imagine this would be a no go.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #715 of 2,514
Quote:
Wow. Thanks. Never  thought of the DF and the MM-1's. I'm going to give them a try.

Great combo. They image like crazy with the DF!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #716 of 2,514
Stereophile's review of the Dragonfly is up:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-dragonfly-usb-da-converter

Overall a very positive review.

One interesting observation is the fact that there are two versions of the DF with slightly different volume control configuration.

The first or early version clips the output after the 60th step.

The current version stops at the 60th step and thus reduces the distortion at max volume significantly.

I wonder what version do I have and if there is a way to find out by the codes on the box since the device has no version markings of its own.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #719 of 2,514
Sep 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #720 of 2,514
Quote:
The DF works fine on my X230 usb3.0 port.

Interesting.  One of my laptops is an X220 and it didn't work.  Maybe the newer USB3.0 ports will have better support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back