AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #676 of 2,514
Congrats HeroicPenguin
wink_face.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #677 of 2,514
Quote:
The Beyer DT-1350 works very well. I use it with the MBPro/DF combo and it is a winner.
biggrin.gif

I concur.  Same combo here (except - swap out the MBPro with my X220) when I want bigger sound, and leak proof isolation.  I feel the DT1350 is worth every penny paid for its retail price. All its attributes justifies the price, IMO.  The DragonFly took a few days to make that adjustment.  Next to my 128GB thumb drive with similar build and weight, it was a fraction of the cost.  For any revolutionary product, it carries a relative high admission price, but it does what it does very well, and there's not a similar product like it that I know of.  I digress.

The DF shows off what it does well in such a small package with all my IEM and headphones.  For me, the DT1350 represents an incredible perception of space and 3D like sonics.  Its character fits nicely in between my forwarded presentation from my Grado and layed back IEM.  With the DF driving my IEM very well and the Grado pretty good (lacks a little weight and authority, but expected with just the DF in the chain).   Replace the transducer source with the DT1350 and that weight and authority is ever present so well.  The sound I get between the DT1350 and the DF is that it sounds "just right".  I know that's a very vague description, but basically if you take the consensus characters of the DT1350, throw in the DF between the DT1350 and your music source via USB, you have an incredible sounding setup.  I think the only thing I would like to see on the DF is a physical two setting, gain switch.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #678 of 2,514
Quote:
Congrats HeroicPenguin
wink_face.gif

Thanks buddy! Totally wouldn't have found that without you! It's a great lil' device. Kills two birds with one stone for me (DAC for my HD600s and a amp/DAC for my IEMs). It's really perfect for people that either travel a lot or students (like me).

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #679 of 2,514
Going to order one from the store here in Vancouver that was suggested. A question, will I need to use my KICAS headphone amp between the DF and my Denon D7000's or will it drive them fine without it?. I 'm going to take it on the road, it would be great not to have to add another piece of gear....

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #680 of 2,514
Quote:
Just got this little device this week! Got it for a complete steal ($165 brand new) and it really did the trick for what I wanted (small DAC/amp to get rid of hiss for my IEMs). The fact that it has great quality is even better and that it only cost $50 more than my old MSII.

Quote:
$165??!! Score!

Quote:
Where?   
tongue_smile.gif

Does anyone else want to know where you can get a new Dragonfly for $165 instead of $249?

I must be the poorest kid on the block.

Mike

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #681 of 2,514
Quote:
Going to order one from the store here in Vancouver that was suggested. A question, will I need to use my KICAS headphone amp between the DF and my Denon D7000's or will it drive them fine without it?. I 'm going to take it on the road, it would be great not to have to add another piece of gear....

Try it alone first. So far with most HP's it has been more than adequate.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #682 of 2,514
Quote:
Does anyone else want to know where you can get a new Dragonfly for $165 instead of $249?

Mike

Nothing wrong with wanting a good value. Just makes good sense!

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #683 of 2,514
Quote:

Mike

It was an eBay seller. It was actually a pretty strange experience buying from this guy. He actually first sent me a Dragonfly, but it was the box only (!!!). I contacted him again and he sent me another device, but this time it was the right one. Strange experience that made me feel like it was a fake (especially at that price), but I don't know about any fake DFs. Plus, it should like the real deal. So, it seems like this guy had to buy a second one to ship to me, so he either lost a ton of money, or knows someone at AQ to buy them really cheap. Confusing to say the least, but I'm satisfied on my end.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #684 of 2,514
Why would anyone send an empty box and think someone would not notice?  Very strange!

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #685 of 2,514
Quote:
Why would anyone send an empty box and think someone would not notice?  Very strange!

Well I don't think the guy actually checked the box before he sent it out, since he seemed like a honest person to work with and very sorry about the inconvinence. I'm still confused to say the least.

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #686 of 2,514
Glad you got your DF and are enjoying it!  I am enjoying mine right now...
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #688 of 2,514

I've got the D7000s and the DF is great with them. You'll be very pleased, I predict.

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #689 of 2,514
Quote:

It was an eBay seller. It was actually a pretty strange experience buying from this guy. He actually first sent me a Dragonfly, but it was the box only (!!!). I contacted him again and he sent me another device, but this time it was the right one. Strange experience that made me feel like it was a fake (especially at that price), but I don't know about any fake DFs. Plus, it should like the real deal. So, it seems like this guy had to buy a second one to ship to me, so he either lost a ton of money, or knows someone at AQ to buy them really cheap. Confusing to say the least, but I'm satisfied on my end.

Do you have the link to his page?  Would like to see if he has any more ... especially at that price. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #690 of 2,514
I just got my DF on Friday. Like everybody says, the DF rocks with the HD-650's. It also rocks with my HD-25 II's and my ES-4P's. It even has enough power to run my antique HD-414's, but I have to max out the volume, but with the SR-71 headphone amp, the HD-414 have plenty of headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back