AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #601 of 2,514
Quote:
Listening to a 16-bit track in 24-bit mode will just cause Core Audio to pad the signal with 8 extra bits as far as I know.

So how does that affect the audio? It sounds like you're saying its has no affect, but I'm not sure. Are any other Mac user's seeing this? When you go into Audio MIDI Setup, can you adjust the bit rate or are you stuck on 2ch-24bit. I just want to make sure its not just my DF, because I've been jumping around a bunch of DACs lately, and I feel like I had the option the other day. I don't want to think I messed it up.

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #602 of 2,514
Padding bits shouldn't make any difference. Re-sampling adds distortion.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #603 of 2,514
Quote:
yeah i know,
but in the way i did it, more people actually read the msg. (i know of myself that i don't always watch for signatures...)    
popcorn.gif

You should still put it in your sig anyway.  There's enough activity in this thread that it likely will be glossed over.  Good luck with the sale.  I couldn't let mine go at this point.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #604 of 2,514
Just got the new issue of Sterophile and on the cover, 'Enter the Dragonfly'.  Not too shabby to be the cover story!

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #606 of 2,514
 Haven't read the whole article yet but they're impressed. I'll update once I read the entire article tonight.

Stereophine Cover Article on Dragonfly: Without quoting the article too much, here goes:
- sound was colourful & upfront
- tonal balance from bass to treble was as good as I've heard in a modern digital source component, being neither dull nor overly crisp and bright
- spatial performance was good
- sounds at least as good as my $900 reference converter
- best of all, the DragonFly is fun

Note that the review did not cover headphones and was attached to a system with a $1395 AudioQuest cable
eek.gif

The article did mention Decibel (though an older versions).  As I was reading the Stereophile article and writing this, was also listening to my HD700 through the DragonFly (MacBook Air > Decibel > DF > Senn HD700 - though I do gnerally prefer it via iTunes with a little EQ bit I digress) and it just keeps on impressing me. From Deadmaou5, to Enigma, Dead Can Dance, AC/DC, Patricia Barber and more..This is definitely my around the house, lounge about system. I'm really enjoying the setup!

Quote:

What's the verdict?

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #607 of 2,514
Quote:

You should still put it in your sig anyway.  There's enough activity in this thread that it likely will be glossed over.  Good luck with the sale.  I couldn't let mine go at this point.

I knew it!....Congrats...
biggrin.gif

BTW, The cover article in the October Stereophile is one the Dragonfly!

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #608 of 2,514
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #610 of 2,514
Sep 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #611 of 2,514
 Use them everyday directly out of my iPhone4 while on my train commute.. love them. Never tried them with my DF.
Quote:
Hey MickeyVee,

How do you like the Etymotic HF3s? I'm considering a pair.

Thanks

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #612 of 2,514
Quote:
 Use them everyday directly out of my iPhone4 while on my train commute.. love them. Never tried them with my DF.

Same for me. I use the hf3's with the Custom ear molds 4+ hours per day with my iPhone... Awesome phones.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #613 of 2,514
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they have listened to their Dragonfly with B&W MM-1's.  I've read all the pages in this thread and cannot see a mention of them.  I'm looking to get the DF but wonder how much better it will make the sound out of the MM-1's as when I work I don't tend to listen via my headphones, (my main system is in the other room Linn DS/LP12 etc and B&W 803's with Stax SR-307's.

Also can anyone recommend what 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to use, as a connection from the DF to MM-1's and if they really found any sonic difference than a standard cable for a few dollars?

Many thanks,

Ian

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #615 of 2,514
Quote:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if they have listened to their Dragonfly with B&W MM-1's.  I've read all the pages in this thread and cannot see a mention of them.  I'm looking to get the DF but wonder how much better it will make the sound out of the MM-1's as when I work I don't tend to listen via my headphones, (my main system is in the other room Linn DS/LP12 etc and B&W 803's with Stax SR-307's.

Also can anyone recommend what 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to use, as a connection from the DF to MM-1's and if they really found any sonic difference than a standard cable for a few dollars?

Many thanks,

Ian

They work great with the MM-1's. I am not using any high end cable, but with a normal one from the DF to the MM-1's it sound really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back