AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #453 of 2,514
So, can the Dragonfly just be used as a DAC? Wouldn't it be double amping by going from Dragonfly -> amp or is there a way to turn off the amp function in the Dragonfly? I've been confused as to how people have done this.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #455 of 2,514
Quote:
yes, it can be used as a DAC-only when needed.
if you maximize the volume of the computer and the DF too 100%, then it "knows" to bypass it's AMP section.
(Page 3 in user manual)

Ah, ok thanks! That's been bothering me as to how people do that. With that in mind then, I think that's worth a purchase. I can get rid of my HRT MSII and get this. This would be a step up as a DAC right?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #458 of 2,514
Quote:
yes, it can be used as a DAC-only when needed.
if you maximize the volume of the computer and the DF too 100%, then it "knows" to bypass it's AMP section.
(Page 3 in user manual)

Sorry, but I want to clarify this. This is what the manual says:

[size=x-small][size=x-small]"DragonFly is also capable of being employed as a traditional fixed-output source component (such as a CD, DVD or Blu-ray player), and can be connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the main computer volume control should be set to maximum. This "fixed output mode" allows your audio or AV system’s volume control to be in charge."[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]So "traditional fixed-output source" means a DAC only correct? So the volume of the machine and the player has to be at max for this to work? Does it not work if the player volume is not max (and how would it detect that)?[/size][/size]

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #459 of 2,514
Quote:
[size=x-small][size=x-small]So "traditional fixed-output source" means a DAC only correct? So the volume of the machine and the player has to be at max for this to work? Does it not work if the player volume is not max (and how would it detect that)?[/size][/size]

It still works, but to get the best sound you need to have the volume controls maxed. Digital volume controls reduce volume by throwing away bits of resolution, so you keep the iTunes slider at max volume to get the highest resolution.
Analog control should be at it's highest to maximize signal to noise ratio as well as to insure you have enough gain for your amp.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #460 of 2,514
Thank you so much for the review , It was  more then great .But I'm wondering , if there is any way I can hook up this with may  [size=small]SanDisk[/size][size=small] [/size]player ?!!!!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #461 of 2,514
No. This is a usb dac so needs to be connected to a usb host device with power enough to actually power the device

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #462 of 2,514
Quote:

It still works, but to get the best sound you need to have the volume controls maxed. Digital volume controls reduce volume by throwing away bits of resolution, so you keep the iTunes slider at max volume to get the highest resolution.
Analog control should be at it's highest to maximize signal to noise ratio as well as to insure you have enough gain for your amp.

Only problem with that is that when I keep the windows volume at 100% and the player (iTunes, Foobar etc.) also at 100% i only get a fraction of useable volume control on my Adam A3X active monitors (volume starts at 7 and by 7:30 on the volume control the volume is way too loud to listen to).

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #463 of 2,514
Quote:
Only problem with that is that when I keep the windows volume at 100% and the player (iTunes, Foobar etc.) also at 100% i only get a fraction of useable volume control on my Adam A3X active monitors (volume starts at 7 and by 7:30 on the volume control the volume is way too loud to listen to).

nc8000, just use the Dragonfly's volume (via the computer's volume control) to turn it down enough to get your A3X's volume control range where you want it--again, the Dragonfly's is an analog volume control.

I have a couple of source components with digital volume controls, and I still use them for volume control--yes, they're dropping bits to reduce volume, but I'm not hearing the effects from it (except for the change in amplitude).

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #464 of 2,514
Quote:

Hmm didn't know that, thanks! It does limit the volume that I can use with IEMs on my MacBook (although the Shift+Option method definitely helps), but it should have enough variation to use.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #465 of 2,514
I wanted to be completely open and honest: Offer up some transparency about my thoughts regarding the Dragonfly (given that I worked for CEntrance
and don't anymore):

Even when I worked for CEntrance, I was always straight-up about my feelings regarding products and I think Michael Goodman will agree with that.
I am a writer/reviewer, first-and-foremost, as that is what I am MOST passionate about: Sharing about good music and exciting audio gear. 

There seemed to be some concern on their part, that because I was recently let go I was poking at the DACport here.  This is NOT the case, and my original post
shows that plainly.  The reason I went to work for CEntrance in the first place is because I love their products (and had written favorable reviews of their
stuff).  They make solid products for sure - IMO.  I still believe that - everything else is irrelevant.

However, while I just gave my DACport to my cousin (as he needed a small, good-quality DAC/head-amp) I did have it when I got my Dragonfly.  My feelings
on the sound/performance of the Dragonfly have not swayed the more I listen.  I was so engrossed in the music last night, using the Dragonfly, Amarra Hifi,
and my Audeze LCD3's - that I completely forgot where I was for awhile.  It was just me and the sweet sounds of Radiohead! 

I feel the same way about my Wadia 151PowerDACmini over the CEntrance DACmini PX.  I think the Wadia marries beautifully w/ my CEntrance 2504 
desktop speakers, more-so than the PX (and I stated that to the CEntrance team months ago)!  I don't want anyone to think I have some sort of vendetta,
an anti-CEntrance attitude.  On the contrary, I think they're a great company, a tight team, and they make fantastic products.

I just feel this time something has come along that out-shines the DACport in its catagory, in my opinion.  It's all subjective.
Knowing CEntrance, I'm sure they'll come up with something that sounds even better in the future.

Just needed to get that out - whew...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back