AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #391 of 2,514
Quote:
Wait until you have a couple hundred hours on it and you'll be very happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Happier than I am now? That would be approaching Key West happy.
biggrin.gif

Drives HE-500's just fine. Not as well as the Lyr, but very well indeed. Still amazed at the SQ of this tiny thing, but it is my first Sabre DAC.

The only negative so far is that I don't like how vulnerable the DF is, hanging off the side like that. I suppose this rumored Dragontail will be a wise investment.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #393 of 2,514
i currently use a HRT MSII and unless i'm running it through a self powered USB hub I get a lot of static when connected to a laptop,  does the dragonfly have any issues with static plugged into a laptop?  if not this might just be the simple solution i've been wanting.  I currently run the MSII through a Fiio E9 into my HD650s but would like a simpler option such as a decent DAC/AMP that is less than $600 but if the sound quality is good the cheaper the better.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #394 of 2,514
Quote:
i currently use a HRT MSII and unless i'm running it through a self powered USB hub I get a lot of static when connected to a laptop,  does the dragonfly have any issues with static plugged into a laptop?  if not this might just be the simple solution i've been wanting.  I currently run the MSII through a Fiio E9 into my HD650s but would like a simpler option such as a decent DAC/AMP that is less than $600 but if the sound quality is good the cheaper the better.

I have experienced no static issues. The DF pairs well with the HD650's You would enjoy this combination.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #395 of 2,514
thanks.. may just have to try it then.. i just want a simple solution for the area i have my head fi set up... i've also been considering the fiio E17 b/c it docks with the E9 or the audinst or the Dac magic plus ( though that is lowering in my opinion based on the reviews i've been reading)  .  I would like something that can capably decode at least 24/96 b/c i do listen to HD tracks files from time to time.  any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #396 of 2,514
Quote:

No static :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #397 of 2,514
I've never actually heard of anyone getting static thru an outboard USB DAC/amp before though unless it's a driver/handshaking issue or something. 

If your USB bus is faulty/damaged in the way it delivers power any audio device that is USB powered may be susceptible, unless the PS on the HRT is faulty somehow.  Sounds like something somewhere is broken.  I'd probably try running the HRT out of another machine first to rule that out.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #398 of 2,514
We're not getting the whole story here. Since the HRT MS2 has no headlamp in it, what are you plugging it into as a head amp to drive your headphones, the E9? How do you know you're not getting the "static" from the e9? I would rather hear about the HRT HS, which would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #399 of 2,514
Quote:
I currently run the MSII through a Fiio E9 into my HD650s

Note that the FiiO E9 cannot handle the 2.25 Vrms maximum output of the MSII without clipping.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #400 of 2,514
Quote:
I have experienced no static issues. The DF pairs well with the HD650's You would enjoy this combination.

That's odd..... Aren't the HD650 and HD600 similar regarding driving requirements?  The DF can drive everything else I own, but I can't get a good listening volume on my HD600 with it.  I'm on Windows XP, and the volume is maxed on the driver, therefore I assume it's maxed on the DF?

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #401 of 2,514
Quote:
thanks.. may just have to try it then.. i just want a simple solution for the area i have my head fi set up... i've also been considering the fiio E17 b/c it docks with the E9 or the audinst or the Dac magic plus ( though that is lowering in my opinion based on the reviews i've been reading)  .  I would like something that can capably decode at least 24/96 b/c i do listen to HD tracks files from time to time.  any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

I also own the Dac Magic Plus and I have enjoyed it. I can;t speak for the other reviews, but I have had many great hours of listening to it with AIFF files.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #402 of 2,514
Quote:

That's odd..... Aren't the HD650 and HD600 similar regarding driving requirements?  The DF can drive everything else I own, but I can't get a good listening volume on my HD600 with it.  I'm on Windows XP, and the volume is maxed on the driver, therefore I assume it's maxed on the DF?

Unless you want ear rattling volume, the DF has plenty of volume with the HD650's. I am usually at about 3/4 max on Win 7 Pro.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #403 of 2,514
I'm pretty sure its the HRT, as i used to use the HRT in main set up before getting a squeezebox touch.  it was connected to a different laptop at that time as well.  If i plugged the HRT directly into the laptop then i would get static, but if i ran the HRT off of a selfpowered USB HUB then I don't get static.. .this has been true on 3 different laptops, and before i even tried it with the e9.  so maybe there is a Power supply issue with the HRT, but it seems to have no issues with power on the hub... i have not tried it on a desktop as we don't currently have one.   good to know about the clipping issue, thankfully i don't run them very loud, but that makes me want to change the set up even more to be safe.. whether i just get a new amp and leave the set up as is or get a whole new all in one solution.  hence my interest in the dragonfly.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #404 of 2,514
Quote:

Quote:
Unless you want ear rattling volume, the DF has plenty of volume with the HD650's. I am usually at about 3/4 max on Win 7 Pro.

Well, something must be wrong .... I wonder if I'm not getting full gain control on my DF?

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #405 of 2,514
Quote:
Can you (or anyone) recommend a BETTER DAC/amp (any size) with USB connectability at about the same price?

I have an Audio-gd NFB-16 here, of which I like the sound slightly better (I listen to a lot of jazz and classical and am picky about how instrument sound), but it is, relative to the Dragonfly, a lot bigger and bulkier. Headphone drive isn't any better, however.

Edit: Just thought I'd plug a pair of FitEar 334s in briefly and the pairing seems to match up reasonably well, if they do bring out the background hiss and odd computer noise a bit.

Quote:
Quote:
I am having a hard time grasping the Dragonfly. On paper, and from reviews, it seems to be the ultimate portable USB DAC, many putting it over the E17. Is this some marvel of engineering? Is the diminutive size (compared to an E17 for example), what's driving the $250 cost? I guess what I am wondering is did they unlock something nobody has before (ie Apple and the Retina display) and we'll start seeing DAC's from other manufacturers in the same form factor? Or could FiiO/Creative/M-Audio, etc have made something similar but thought consumers wouldn't pay the cost? 

It is a 4 layer circuit board and high end Sabre dac the size of a thumb drive. That is a lot to cram into a small package and do it right.

The reason this kind of thing hasn't appeared before is, first of all, the chips being used are relatively recent designs, such as the Sabre DAC. The second reason is 4 layer circuit boards cost a fortune to prototype and produce. You might have missed Gordon Rankin talking about spending $100k of his own money do to this. Add to that he is taking a gamble on it actually selling in numbers. IIRC there are many places that will make circuit boards for you, but few that do 4 layer ones.

Quote:
I was also curious as to how they could create such a product. Copycats soon?

See above. Would probably cost too much in the way of outlay to try, though you never know, if it takes off, someone with deep pockets might try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back