AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #286 of 2,514
Quote:
Hey bobeau,
Did you order another DF?  Was there any issue in your first one?
Im asking because Im really curious about the output. The designer stated that its as low as 0.8 Ohms, on the other hand I measured about 4 Ohms. So, before shipping back I need a confirmation.. if my device is broken or it has the 4Ohms out.

I did... no issues with it aside from not performing well with my EPH-100, but now I feel like branching out and looking for something that is maybe more accurate or exciting.

Quote:
This time give a couple hundred hours to breathe...
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, I'm gonna hold onto this one and will put it on nightly burn-in. 

Quote:

Well currently it only seems to be affecting 16-ohm IEM's, so I hope the GR07 MKII is fine. Especially because I'm interested in purchasing a Dragonfly for mines.

Yeah totally, I think this will be a dynamite combo once both are fully broken in.  I somewhat suspect it may tame the sibilant tendencies of the GR07, but we'll see.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #289 of 2,514
Quote:
HeadphoneAddict,
It's a pleasure to have you join this thread. I've used your massive review thread for direction so many times over the past few years.
Are you planning to get a DragonFly anytime soon? Would love your feedback. I knew what I was getting into after I bought the DacPort when I read your review (especially compared to the RSA predator). Having the DragonFly in your review thread would really help prospective buyers.
I think the DacPort is a neutral sounding dac/amp while the DragonFly is darker.

I plan to get one to try eventually, but not for a few more weeks.  My daughter just started attending college, and as the bumper stickers say, "My daughter and my money go to Duke University."  

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #291 of 2,514
Hopefully, this little guy will be compatible with Win 8 Pro/MS Surface.

Given that it is recognized natively with MS Win 7 Pro I would expect it to Be plug and play.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #292 of 2,514
Thanks for the comparisons.  I do like it on the warm side rather than bright.  I was hoping to replace the Dacport but I guess I'll hold on to it.

I'm about to get a Dragonfly for review in The Daily Swarm.com. Now, most of you know I've been a writer/reviewer a lot longer than I've been working in Hifi as a 9-5 (I took the job working for CEntrance because the DACports transparency and accuracy, IMO, blew me away for its size).

Now, I no longer write about CEntrance gear of course. But, believe me, I'll be doing a comparison!! And if I think (and we ALL hear differently) the Dragonfly sounds more musical I'm not scared to say it... It will push Michael Goodman to build something better!!

I'm eager to hear the Dragonfly in my system, w/ my LCD-3s and JHAudio JH-13 Pros!!!

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #293 of 2,514
Thanks for the comparisons.  I do like it on the warm side rather than bright.  I was hoping to replace the Dacport but I guess I'll hold on to it.

I'm about to get a Dragonfly for review in The Daily Swarm.com. Now, most of you know I've been a writer/reviewer a lot longer than I've been working in Hifi as a 9-5 (I took the job working for CEntrance because the DACports transparency and accuracy, IMO, blew me away for its size).

Now, I no longer write about CEntrance gear of course. But, believe me, I'll be doing a comparison!! And if I think (and we ALL hear differently) the Dragonfly sounds more musical I'm not scared to say it... It will push Michael Goodman to build something better!!

I'm eager to hear the Dragonfly in my system, w/ my LCD-3s and JHAudio JH-13 Pros!!!

I'm eager to read your comparo!

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #294 of 2,514
Hey you guys,
I just received my DF this noon...
hearing it for 2 hours now, it sounds WAY better than my Fiio E17 "Alpen" (soon to go to the "for sale" section :))

BTW 
when i finished my listening session, i unpluged it, and it was very hot.
is it normal for it to get hot ?

1 min outside, it cooled back to room temperature.. 

-Eyal

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #295 of 2,514
Quote:
Hey you guys,
I just received my DF this noon...
hearing it for 2 hours now, it sounds WAY better than my Fiio E17 "Alpen" (soon to go to the "for sale" section :))

BTW 
when i finished my listening session, i unpluged it, and it was very hot.
is it normal for it to get hot ?

1 min outside, it cooled back to room temperature.. 

-Eyal

I have the E17 and am considering getting the DF.  Can you determine if it's the DAC or amp (or both) that is the better performer?

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #296 of 2,514
OK, found the problem.
it lies in my laptop. it just throws hot air on it.
for some reason, the Dell Vostro v3550 laptop heats more than the average laptop. (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Vostro-3550-Notebook.53227.0.html
so i connected a 90d usb3 angle unit (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140567116334#ht_1495wt_906)
and then the DF to it. 
this way, not only the DF doesn't heat up anymore, but also the energy put on it from the headphone is lesser. 

-Eyal 

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #297 of 2,514
Quote:
OK, found the problem.
it lies in my laptop. it just throws hot air on it.

-Eyal 

Just wanted to throw out that the little guy does heat up from use on my MBA after an hour or two.  Perhaps not to the degree you're experiencing, and certainly not too hot to touch or anything.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #299 of 2,514
Just got in my second DF (purchased used so no idea how many hours on it) and comparing simply out of my MBA's hp out (which voldemort measured last year to be the best laptop hp out he's seen, at least when running on just battery power)

1) I believe I'm pretty much hearing the same thing I heard with my first unit on my EPH-100s - a fuller but tending toward bloated sound.  Perhaps bloated is the wrong word, more like it lacks dynamic punch a bit, smoothed over.  That said, the midrange is esp. lovely and timber does seem more accurate though overall, drums sound more like drums, etc... it's not bad and I could see many preferring this sound, but at least at this early juncture I'm more into my MBA's out.  It's like its making a colored 'fun' sounding phone a little too fun.

2) Also tried with Etymotic HF2 (also fairly low impedance at 16 ohms) I had lying around and it's also a mixed bag... bass actually comes in with better presence, there is a better sense of space, but details are a bit obscured.  It almost makes these perform more like dynamic drivers, but oddly enough it makes it seem a bit more sibilant in places even though overall the sound signature seems to shift downward.  Not a fan of the Ety sound fwiw but it does make these phones more listenable to me so I actually prefer it.  But I would take the DF -> EPH-100 anyday.

3) Tried with some Edition 8s... now we're talking.  Really good pairing.  Everything sounds more alive/dynamic/fleshed out, just a tiny lack of control in the bass that could possibly go away with a good burn-in. 

No matter, I picked this up for using with other things, esp. a GR07 Mk2 and probably some portable cans like the JVC S500 I'm looking at checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back