AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #226 of 2,514
I've got a netbook laying around, full of lossless music. If the SQ is as good as what's being reported here, I'm thinking a Dragonfly is in my future.

Audioquest, any chance of a "Head-Fi" version?  Hmmm?
wink_face.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #229 of 2,514
Wow!  I had no idea about the shift-option-volume method!  Now instead of 3 out of 16, I can work with 12 out of 64!  Impressive!

To me, the sound signature of the DACPort was flat and lifeless.  It was clean regardless of how loud you set it at but any instrument with any sharp sounds were dull.  I like drums and cymbals, so I wasn't very happy.  I'm a big fan of the Ray Samuels sound which is forward and vibrant.  The Centrance DACPort seemed to suck the soul out of music.

The DragonFly does not compare in terms of instrument separation and soundstage but it's got a great energy to it.  The portability of the DragonFly is also just amazing.  It makes the Centrance DacPort look ridiculously huge. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #231 of 2,514
I have only spent a small amount of time with the arcam, but the DF rivals my DMPlus at more than twice the price.

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #232 of 2,514
Just picked up  DF a couple of hours ago (and returned an rPAC).  I can see why Jude likes this with the HD700.  Out of the box t's quite nice.  Compared to the rPAC, it has better soundstage, it's more open and airy and has better dynamics. I'm really liking it so far.  Going to run it straight for a couple of weeks and then report back.  So far, so good!

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #233 of 2,514
Shouldn't have bought the Fiio E17!!!
angry_face.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #234 of 2,514
I just spent some time with the DF and the HD800's. It sounds fine but not enough volume with the 800's. It drives the 650's just fine.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #236 of 2,514
Quote:
I'm enjoying my Fiio E17, but I'm hearing that I'd enjoy the DF much more ---  The only headphone I have over 60 ohms is the HD600 --- and the DF will drive it?

The DF drives my HD650's just fine from both my home PC running JRiver and my Mac Book Pro running iTunes and Amarra. Plenty of volume and very full sound in each case. However, Today I was playing around with the HD800's at my dealer and the DF amp in not sufficient to drive the HD800's Nice but not nearly enough volume.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #237 of 2,514
Newer is not always better.  I haven't heard the Fiio E17 and I don't know if the DragonFly would be more enjoyable for you.  After being on this site for more than 10 years, there is a tendency for people to hype the newest stuff.  In some cases, it has lead me to some of my worst purchases ever...  and there was a time where I thought my ears were defective because I couldn't understand the feedback I was reading.

I like the DragonFly for its portability and sound signature.  If you are experiencing any regret with your Fiio purchase, wait for a few months until more people have had a chance to provide feedback especially people who have preferences close to yours.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #238 of 2,514
Well,in my case,I only have the E17 for when I am "out and about"(overseas etc.),so I can listen to the music on my laptop..
At home I'd never use the Fiio for serious listening....not good enough!
And the same would be the case with the DF,I guess....so NO,NO REGRETS!

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #240 of 2,514
Quote:
Word. I've tried it with the HD800, HD700 and the HD600. I think it taps out after the 600/650. Even the 700 is too much for it to bear.

It is awesome with the 650's I am loving it right now while surfing Head-Fi...
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back