AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,491 of 2,514
How in Windows 10? I don't see where...

2745f5468a.png
In Windows, Linux or macOS the application is really the only thing that will kill bit perfect output. So if you use Roon, J River, the new Audirvana or any other application if you set your configuration to WASAPI it should be bit perfect in the output.

Thanks,
Gordon

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,492 of 2,514
In Windows, Linux or macOS the application is really the only thing that will kill bit perfect output. So if you use Roon, J River, the new Audirvana or any other application if you set your configuration to WASAPI it should be bit perfect in the output.

Thanks,
Gordon

ok great, I do use Foobar and WASAPI so i should be good, cheers

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,493 of 2,514
Does this mean that my DF Red with WASAPI and Foobar will auto change to the right 16 bit 44100 or 96hz 24 bit, based on what file it plays? does it all automatic? prob not in sptoify but in foobar with wasapi it does?

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,494 of 2,514
Does this mean that my DF Red with WASAPI and Foobar will auto change to the right 16 bit 44100 or 96hz 24 bit, based on what file it plays? does it all automatic? prob not in sptoify but in foobar with wasapi it does?

Yes correct it will, unless you have added some kind of upsampler.

Thanks,
Gordon

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #2,495 of 2,514
I have a dragonfly v1.2 for some years now. I bought it immediately after the first android update which permitted usb audio. I was one of the earliest adopters trying to use it with my Nexus 5 but I was underwelmed obviously for reasons that are currently clear but were not back in the day.

But for the last year or more I had problems to play under some circumstances and could not understand why. Yesterday, I think I understood partially the reason after getting the apple usb 3.0 adapter. I discovered that simply 44.100 and its twice multiple just do not play and make a crackling static noise. As an analogy, I could say it's like it has two clocks and just one is faulty hardware wise or software wise. The other responsible for 96.000 plays just fine but as a result I can not play with my iPad through camera 3 usb adaptor powered from an iPad 15w charger which I believe otherwise i could unless I find a way to send a 96.000 signal without roon.

Can someone please help me to solve this issue or just tell me if I can fix this? Is it hardware related or software related? Can I reset somehow the software?

I know about the third generation of mobile capable dragonflies and my issue seems to be completely trivial but it would be nice if I could fix since I am doing a comparison with xCan which supposedly uses the same DAC with v1.2 for my upcoming review and also for my ipurifier 3 upcoming review.

Many thanks in advance for anything that could help.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,496 of 2,514
I have a dragonfly v1.2 for some years now. I bought it immediately after the first android update which permitted usb audio. I was one of the earliest adopters trying to use it with my Nexus 5 but I was underwelmed obviously for reasons that are currently clear but were not back in the day.

But for the last year or more I had problems to play under some circumstances and could not understand why. Yesterday, I think I understood partially the reason after getting the apple usb 3.0 adapter. I discovered that simply 44.100 and its twice multiple just do not play and make a crackling static noise. As an analogy, I could say it's like it has two clocks and just one is faulty hardware wise or software wise. The other responsible for 96.000 plays just fine but as a result I can not play with my iPad through camera 3 usb adaptor powered from an iPad 15w charger which I believe otherwise i could unless I find a way to send a 96.000 signal without roon.

Can someone please help me to solve this issue or just tell me if I can fix this? Is it hardware related or software related? Can I reset somehow the software?

I know about the third generation of mobile capable dragonflies and my issue seems to be completely trivial but it would be nice if I could fix since I am doing a comparison with xCan which supposedly uses the same DAC with v1.2 for my upcoming review and also for my ipurifier 3 upcoming review.

Many thanks in advance for anything that could help.

that's funny, I think my V1.2 sounds better than the Red, I compared them side by side one day for several hours. I didn't have the Black handy to test it though. but I am glad I kept my V1.2, sorry you do not like yours.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #2,497 of 2,514
that's funny, I think my V1.2 sounds better than the Red, I compared them side by side one day for several hours. I didn't have the Black handy to test it though. but I am glad I kept my V1.2, sorry you do not like yours.
I did not say I do not like it I am just saying is not working properly anymore. I tested it everywhere, mac, windows (tidal settings), android phone and iOS devices I am pretty sure that the 44.1 mode is not working any more.

I remember a review from stereophile that claimed in the past that v1.2 sounds better in the main system (not portable) in comparison with the new ones so your preference make absolutely sense and confirms that.

Jan 5, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #2,498 of 2,514
I did not say I do not like it I am just saying is not working properly anymore. I tested it everywhere, mac, windows (tidal settings), android phone and iOS devices I am pretty sure that the 44.1 mode is not working any more.

I remember a review from stereophile that claimed in the past that v1.2 sounds better in the main system (not portable) in comparison with the new ones so your preference make absolutely sense and confirms that.

Sorry I misread you mate, hmm, no idea about the 44.1 I have always just automatically changed it in WIndows to 96hz and 24 bit and disabled enhancements, so i don't even know if mine works in 44.1 or not. i know your supposed to match it to the music you listen to, i just stopped caring, and 24 bit 96 seems to be just fine on everything so i just leave it there.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,499 of 2,514
Sorry I misread you mate, hmm, no idea about the 44.1 I have always just automatically changed it in WIndows to 96hz and 24 bit and disabled enhancements, so i don't even know if mine works in 44.1 or not. i know your supposed to match it to the music you listen to, i just stopped caring, and 24 bit 96 seems to be just fine on everything so i just leave it there.
Yes I prefer too 96 upsampling, I have no problems with that I am using it in my PC. The problem is I cannot force my iPad and iPhone to do that without roon or something similar complicated. It defaults to 44.1 and does not play at all because, let's say for not having a better word, this 44.1 clock is not working properly.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,500 of 2,514
Yes I prefer too 96 upsampling, I have no problems with that I am using it in my PC. The problem is I cannot force my iPad and iPhone to do that without roon or something similar complicated. It defaults to 44.1 and does not play at all because, let's say for not having a better word, this 44.1 clock is not working properly.

I understand your issue now, dang, that does suck. I am sorry mate I do not know how to help.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #2,501 of 2,514
Hey guys I've had Dragonfly Red for a while now (2-3 years?) and it's been my sound reference. My other gear come and go but this always stays. I just really like how Red portrays female vocal (very forward) and it make everything sounds richer and warm.

I've also bought Cobalt twice and returned both times since Red sound more musical to me. Cobalt to me is more technical but more lean sounding (and lack bass compare to Red).

Maybe I'm just bored (you know how it is with gear) and was wondering if I should try Black or 1.2.

I talked to one person who likes Black over Red. But from what I gathered here A LOT seems to like 1.2 over Red and a few likes Red over 1.2.

Is it worth it to give 1.2 a try? I found someone selling. Maybe skip Black for now or revisit later?

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess in the grand scheme of things this is still fairly cheap hahah, this is coming from a guy with Violectric V200 on my desk and here I am agonizing over $60 LOL.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #2,502 of 2,514
Hey guys I've had Dragonfly Red for a while now (2-3 years?) and it's been my sound reference. My other gear come and go but this always stays. I just really like how Red portrays female vocal (very forward) and it make everything sounds richer and warm.

I've also bought Cobalt twice and returned both times since Red sound more musical to me. Cobalt to me is more technical but more lean sounding (and lack bass compare to Red).

Maybe I'm just bored (you know how it is with gear) and was wondering if I should try Black or 1.2.

I talked to one person who likes Black over Red. But from what I gathered here A LOT seems to like 1.2 over Red and a few likes Red over 1.2.

Is it worth it to give 1.2 a try? I found someone selling. Maybe skip Black for now or revisit later?

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess in the grand scheme of things this is still fairly cheap hahah, this is coming from a guy with Violectric V200 on my desk and here I am agonizing over $60 LOL.
At this point the Red is a pretty low bar. A few years ago I compared it to a Peachtree DAC-IT which sounded much better. Since then I've compared it to numerous more modern DACs and the Red consistently falls on its face, and not just because of its limited sample rate support, but also in terms of dynamics and frequency extension. I used the Red for a long time, but it's time has passed.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2,503 of 2,514
At this point the Red is a pretty low bar. A few years ago I compared it to a Peachtree DAC-IT which sounded much better. Since then I've compared it to numerous more modern DACs and the Red consistently falls on its face, and not just because of its limited sample rate support, but also in terms of dynamics and frequency extension. I used the Red for a long time, but it's time has passed.
lol funny enough I had the opposite impression. Maybe I just liked its tuning enough that I could overlook the technicality.

Like since I got Dragonfly Red I've tried:

Amps:
Schiit Vali 2+
Schiit Asgard 3
Project Polaris
Liquid Spark
Burson Playmate 2
Objective 2
Violectric V200

Dacs:
SMSL M100 MK2
Schiit Modi 3+
Schiit Modi Multibit
Burson Playmate 2 Internal DAC
Grace Standard DAC

Dongles:
Astell and Kern PEE51
Cayin RU6
Luxury and Precision W2
Luxury and Precision W2-131
Chord Mojo 2
xDuoo Link2 Bal

And after all that I've sold everything and went back to Dragonfly Red, only recently I got Violectric V200 and borrowed my friend's Grace SDAC, in the process of hunting down a Soekris 1321 dac (R2R dac).

But funny enough I mean yes Violectric V200 is a better amp but if I don't A/B it I think I'm still perfectly ok using Dragonfly Red.

I think I just like its tuning and maybe I've used it for long enough now I'm just used to it. Also I like how small it sits on my desk.

Though I'll admit maybe I don't "need" the Dragonfly 1.2 but just want to try things LOL.:laughing:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #2,504 of 2,514
lol funny enough I had the opposite impression. Maybe I just liked its tuning enough that I could overlook the technicality.

Like since I got Dragonfly Red I've tried:

Amps:
Schiit Vali 2+
Schiit Asgard 3
Project Polaris
Liquid Spark
Burson Playmate 2
Objective 2
Violectric V200

Dacs:
SMSL M100 MK2
Schiit Modi 3+
Schiit Modi Multibit
Burson Playmate 2 Internal DAC
Grace Standard DAC

Dongles:
Astell and Kern PEE51
Cayin RU6
Luxury and Precision W2
Luxury and Precision W2-131
Chord Mojo 2
xDuoo Link2 Bal

And after all that I've sold everything and went back to Dragonfly Red, only recently I got Violectric V200 and borrowed my friend's Grace SDAC, in the process of hunting down a Soekris 1321 dac (R2R dac).

But funny enough I mean yes Violectric V200 is a better amp but if I don't A/B it I think I'm still perfectly ok using Dragonfly Red.

I think I just like its tuning and maybe I've used it for long enough now I'm just used to it. Also I like how small it sits on my desk.

Though I'll admit maybe I don't "need" the Dragonfly 1.2 but just want to try things LOL.:laughing:
That's quite the list of DACs. Mine includes the Modi Multibit also, as well as the SMSL SU8, Topping E30, 2 different iFi Zens, and the Peachtree mentioned. The Red just didn't cut it for me and is now in a suitcase as a travel DAC.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,505 of 2,514
That's quite the list of DACs. Mine includes the Modi Multibit also, as well as the SMSL SU8, Topping E30, 2 different iFi Zens, and the Peachtree mentioned. The Red just didn't cut it for me and is now in a suitcase as a travel DAC.
Lol no I agree with you, I think everyone else have moved on. I'm just the weird one.

It's gonna be like at the year of 2062 and we'll be at Dragonfly Violet with ES10236 Pro or something fancy like that, and I'll be like hey guys check out my Dragonfly Red with ES9016 LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back