AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 20, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #2,476 of 2,514
I actually prefer the black over the red w the H6. It is a little warmer with a bit more bass in comparison. It's definitely enough to drive the H6 out of the iPhone and iPad. Android devices are another story as there aren't too many that support the DF.

Thanks for the input. That sounds good, I think I will try the black one then!
There's something I just didnt find out... can I still use the Control buttons on the cable?  I know the Mic works and the Dragonfly is supposed to have analogue buttons, right?  But is there a passthrough for the control buttons on the cable?
I don't like either one. I don't get why people buy these things. It's nothing more than an EQ that, in my opinion, doesn't sound very nice. I did like the black one more though. They both sounded muddy, but the black a bit less and has a more hifi sound.

Better buy a different amp/dac. Maybe your cans don't need much amp, but it can still add a lot with a bit more than an USB stick with some added power to add more than an EQ.
But it's of course personal like everything in audio.

I heard you say that before and thank you for your 2cents. Thanks for assuring the black one would be a better choice. Do you have a recommendation for an alternative? 
I also need the Dragonfly to act as a lightning connection to my iPhone. It's small enough to use in the bus, I didnt want to use something much bigger and was hoping it could also improve audio a bit.

Cheers and thanks folks!

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,477 of 2,514
  Thanks for the input. That sounds good, I think I will try the black one then!
There's something I just didnt find out... can I still use the Control buttons on the cable?  I know the Mic works and the Dragonfly is supposed to have analogue buttons, right?  But is there a passthrough for the control buttons on the cable?

No, nothing works.  No volume buttons, no play pause, nothing.  The DF is just a dumb amplifier.  You have to use on screen buttons and volume buttons on the device.  At least I did w/ my iPad Pro.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,478 of 2,514
Theoretical a dragonfly is an amp, but in practice more of an equalizer.
Sorry, but the dragonfly is nothing more then a slightly powered EQ. In my experience. Comparing it with the internals of the fiio is just not right.

It's more of an exceptional and extremely portable USB DAC that has a more than adequate amp section... Music reproduction is almost exactly in line with my Yamaha S1800 SACD player with Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp combo....highly detailed with ZERO noise and excellent bass presentation, especially when listening on Fostex TH-X00 PH's.... :D

Listening volume level (~70dB SPL) with Fostex T50RP MKIII's and Philips SHP9500 on my Samsung Galaxy TAB S2 using UAPP with FLAC rips from CD:

T50RP
i-w9RjgcJ.jpg

SHP9500
i-swfr35h.jpg

Half volume would be instant hearing damage loudness level, especially with SHP9500's...

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,479 of 2,514
Theoretical a dragonfly is an amp, but in practice more of an equalizer.
Sorry, but the dragonfly is nothing more then a slightly powered EQ. In my experience. Comparing it with the internals of the fiio is just not right.

Do you work for Fiio or something?  This is just plain untrue.  The Dragonfly v1.2 had a little bit of bloom in the bass but the new Red is superbly clean and flat.  Whenever someone trashes something that so many others have praised, my spidey sense tingles and I wonder what the agenda truly is.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,480 of 2,514
  Do you work for Fiio or something?  This is just plain untrue.  The Dragonfly v1.2 had a little bit of bloom in the bass but the new Red is superbly clean and flat.  Whenever someone trashes something that so many others have praised, my spidey sense tingles and I wonder what the agenda truly is.

No, Fiio was just an example. Could also have said Cayin i5 or whatever. 
I thought the performance of the Dragonfly was disappointing. Everybody has their opinion, that doesn't directly mean i have some affiliation, just because you disagree. 

Let other praise this product and be happy with it. I'm still disappointed and don't like the product. It just felt like an EQ that "emphasised" sound, but didn't really gave me more resolution or control. But since you decide to quote me out of context, i also said i didn't use it with my phone for instance. Probably would have more impact, but that's not a solution for me (also because of the weird sticking out combo + weak usb otg plug). Applying a software EQ on my laptop for instance gave me better results than this DF ... 

For mobile use i'd always advise a DAP. Dedicated, no weird sticking out stuff, fixed design, can be used as USB dac, extra battery, more amp etc etc ... 
But sure, i can imagine that other people have a different situation or solution. Doesn't change my opinion and def. doesn't mean i have a hidden agenda.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,482 of 2,514
When I plug my DFBlack into my PC, it gets so on Volume level 2 or 3 is maximum I can stand. Like, 2 and 3 are LOUD. That means Level 1 is the normal listening level. Is there a way to fix this and increase the volume steps? I am running Windows 10.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,483 of 2,514
I've used my ie800's with the Dragonfly 1.2 quite a bit at the office.  I typically run it to an O2 for fine tuning of the volume (not IE800 specific, just in general).  I think they sound quite good... haven't compared it with my LG V20 or FiiO X3ii stack but I had no complaints.

May 18, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #2,484 of 2,514
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #2,486 of 2,514
It's more of an exceptional and extremely portable USB DAC that has a more than adequate amp section... Music reproduction is almost exactly in line with my Yamaha S1800 SACD player with Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp combo....highly detailed with ZERO noise and excellent bass presentation, especially when listening on Fostex TH-X00 PH's.... :D

Listening volume level (~70dB SPL) with Fostex T50RP MKIII's and Philips SHP9500 on my Samsung Galaxy TAB S2 using UAPP with FLAC rips from CD:

T50RP
i-w9RjgcJ.jpg

SHP9500
i-swfr35h.jpg

Half volume would be instant hearing damage loudness level, especially with SHP9500's...

Are you using BitPerfect mode?

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,489 of 2,514
Firmware update 1.06 with support for MQA and optimizations for use with Android devices is now available from AudioQuest. http://www.audioquest.com/digitalupdates/
All,

I posted a new version 1.07 for DragonFly about a month ago. This fixes some of the volume control problems with Android devices when using apps that don't support the low level device volume controls like youtube and others.

If you are using the eXtream USB driver for Android you should download the latest version before using the DragonFly or you may get a loud pop when first used. If your not using this for audio you really should it makes a huge difference in sound quality. Again I have nothing to do with eXtream or their products.

Thanks,
Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back