AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2,461 of 2,514
Using just a sony ex650ap iem and Xperia X Performance to test.

DFB - hiss louder than my breath. unlistenable.

DFR - volume is too soft. can only listen at full volume. my chinchillas can bark louder than that.
But can conclude DFR is better than DFB.

Assuming you are referring to an Xperia phone, Android has issues controlling the hardware gain on the Dragonfly. Even if your system volume is full the device is at a low volume setting.

Try USB Audio Player Pro from the play store. It has it's own driver which bypasses the Android sound system and can control the hardware volume on the Dragonfly.

Audio-quest suggests that you max out the system volume and use the hardware controls.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,467 of 2,514

In all fairness, the Dragonfly is both a DAC and an amp, as is the Fiio E10k - so I think it is fine to compare them...but not unless you have heard both.  

Price-wise, the E10k and Dragonfly Black are in the same ballpark. The primary differences are form factor, and the added volume knob and bass-boost selector on the Fiio.  (And I don't know if the E10k will work straight out of an iPhone the way the Dragonfly Black or Red will.) They are both limited to 24/96. Which amp section is a better match for your headphones? Hard to say. Try to listen to both if you can.

I think the Dragonflies are fine products, but have not heard the E10k to compare sound.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2,469 of 2,514
Theoretical a dragonfly is an amp, but in practice more of an equalizer.
Sorry, but the dragonfly is nothing more then a slightly powered EQ. In my experience. Comparing it with the internals of the fiio is just not right.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,470 of 2,514
The Dragonfly Red is not as powerful as my Sound Blaster Z soundcard, but the sound is cleaner and doesn't distort even when the volume is at max. As far as DACs go, it is the cleanest sounding DAC/amp in my repertoire.

Aune T1 mk1 = Most colored DAC. Sound varies depending on tube. Can sound very digital or extremely analog. Most fun of all my DACs. I use the line-out exclusively.

V-MODA Vamp Verza = Neutral with a warm tilt. Pairs well with brighter headphones like the AKG Q701. Has the least powerful amp of all my gear.

Creative Sound Blaster Z = Sounds better than the RealTek chip built into my PC's motherboard. I mainly use it for gaming and movies. For music my other DACs sound much better. Most powerful amp but distorts at higher volumes.

Audioquest Dragonfly Red = Cleanest, most digital sound. Bass is lightest of the three while treble extends the farthest. No distortion at all volume levels.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #2,471 of 2,514
How does zuperDAC and SMSL m3 would fit in comparison with dargonfly v1.2 & v1.5. Any insights guys?

Sure, m3 has naturally got more juices out of the box but how does the aforementioned dragonfly variants may stack up I wonder apart from that.

Dec 19, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,473 of 2,514
Hey folks,
Maybe one of you can help me out.
I'm looking to improve my listening experience with my Beoplay H6. The iPad dac and amp is usually strong enough to drive them so I thought they might not need the dragonfly red and the black one is enough.
But are there any improvements in quality by choosing the red, even though the black one is strong enough to drive my cans?
Cheers!

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,474 of 2,514
Hey folks,
Maybe one of you can help me out.
I'm looking to improve my listening experience with my Beoplay H6. The iPad dac and amp is usually strong enough to drive them so I thought they might not need the dragonfly red and the black one is enough.
But are there any improvements in quality by choosing the red, even though the black one is strong enough to drive my cans?
Cheers!

I actually prefer the black over the red w the H6. It is a little warmer with a bit more bass in comparison. It's definitely enough to drive the H6 out of the iPhone and iPad. Android devices are another story as there aren't too many that support the DF.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #2,475 of 2,514
I don't like either one. I don't get why people buy these things. It's nothing more than an EQ that, in my opinion, doesn't sound very nice. I did like the black one more though. They both sounded muddy, but the black a bit less and has a more hifi sound.

Better buy a different amp/dac. Maybe your cans don't need much amp, but it can still add a lot with a bit more than an USB stick with some added power to add more than an EQ.
But it's of course personal like everything in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back