AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Apr 27, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,326 of 2,514
  Burning in something with "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" is the kind of irony I love :)

I'm excited for my Dragonfly Red to get in tomorrow, but I have a concert to go to tomorrow night, which will keep me from listening to it much right away. "Oh no, I can't listen to music because I have to go and listen to music!"

Bring the Red and hold it up like a lighter. Burn it in!

Meanwhile, in the wee morning hours, accompanied by the faint background harmonics of early rising songbirds and the lead-boot soft shoe of the upstairs neighbor I do detect the slightest hint of a hiss via an Asus Zenbook USB 3.0 port. Not so much a hiss like a cat person would perform to display her disapproval of you, but more like a low frequency hum achievable, possibly, by playing Barry White through a subwoofer that only reproduced frequencies 40hz and below. I had to unplug my IEMs from the Red just to make sure I was hearing it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,327 of 2,514
Some headphones are like that.  I'm building a headphone-specific gainclone amp and it sounds great - nice and quiet - until I hook up my Shure SE535's to it.  Then I hear all the buzzes and hums that are masked by the other headphones.  I'm going to have to try moving the transformer to another enclosure to minimize the noise.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,328 of 2,514
It's not bad or distracting in any way. I actually needed near silent conditions to even detect it and more than anything it just sounds like something with an electrical charge running through it. Unlike the hiss I get from my other sources I can only detect this hum in ideal conditions and only if I'm really listening for it.

It's a non-issue and I only brought it up because, technically, the Red is not dead silent, but it's damn close. Considering the higher output power of the Red, the Black might actually achieve full ninja capability.

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,329 of 2,514
I just received my Dragonfly Red and using it with 64Audio A12. I agree that the red is not dead silent but it is really really close.

The 2 problems I have is the low volume I get when using the Red with the A12 and the bloated bass.

Don't get me wrong, the volume is enough for comfortable listening but it's not as loud as my other amps or even the integrated laptop sound. It's like I can only used DF Red for only chilling and enjoying music but not when I want to crank up the volume. I used foobar with the laptop and with UAPP/Poweramp with Samsung Edge 7 and I get the same volume level.

Additionally, the first thing I noticed when I popped in the DF Red is the bloated bass to the point it gets muddy at times. I'm fairly disappointed with the DF Red so far but I will still give it a few days before I decide if I keep it.

I'm not really sure what is happening but can someone explain why this is happening?

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #2,335 of 2,514
How really works the 64 volume steps? for ex. Windows has until 100, android only has 15 steps, many apps have they own internal volume, UAPP has a volume slider.  Can't figure it out how to adjust between the 64 steps or really is the volume is from the device?

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #2,337 of 2,514

The Dragonfly Black is otherwise known as the 1.5.

How really works the 64 volume steps? for ex. Windows has until 100, android only has 15 steps, many apps have they own internal volume, UAPP has a volume slider.  Can't figure it out how to adjust between the 64 steps or really is the volume is from the device?

My guess is that it adjusts/corresponds to whatever step is as close as possible as the system volume. I'd ask Audioquest, their Facebook page is pretty responsive to questions.

--

Also, I gotta say I like my Red so far. Works perfectly out of my iPhone (even with my Fiio L19 and micro-USB to female USB-A adapter, which can be finnicky). I think the amp is less revealing than the O2 I typically use, but the DAC is a lot more revealing/less aggressive in the treble than the Sound Blaster E5 I was using as a DAC recently. So at home, I'm using a combo of the Red + O2 right now.

I might pick up the JitterBug to test with my laptop as there might be some SLIGHT hiss when music is playing, but I can't tell 100%. It's barely enough to bother me, and it's nowhere as bad as the DACport HD, which is particularly problematic with IEMs. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,338 of 2,514

Good question. I have no idea. I haven't used it much with my PC or laptop, but on my Galaxy S6 Active via Google Play Music, YouTube, and MX Player I have to crank the volume to 13-14 out of 15 or else it's too quiet. Onkyo HF Player is super loud and I'm only able to go up 2-3 steps out of 15 before it's deafening. UAPP has the best control via "Hardware Volume" and the gain slider under EQ, but still doesn't achieve 64 steps.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,339 of 2,514
Hi
I originally bought the dragonfly 1.2 for my laptop but i ended up using it more with my phone (galaxy s4 9500).

Main reason being, its small enough to be manageable in my pocket with my phone, and the sound quality increase (or enjoyment of music) is well worth the additional hassle.

It only works with my phone using a dedicated player that interfaces the hardware directly (usb player pro).

All my headphones and IEM are easy to drive (beyer t51p, momentum, shure 30), they all improved substantially in all aspects compared to my phone output (including my other phones such as iphone4, 5).

In terms of volume, i noticed that on my cans the hardware volume needs to be at 30pct (instead of 70 pct when directly using phone and android or apple interface), overall very happy !

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #2,340 of 2,514
Recieved the DRAGONFLY RED DAC. I expected a step up, but it disappoints me. V1.2 sounds fluid and musical to my ears. The RED more harsch and unpleasant?

From what I have been told the Microchip USB receiver chip has questionable clock/jitter spec's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back