AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Apr 24, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,296 of 2,514
Interesting reply ...just shows how you really have to listen to the device yourself based on your own likes and skill sets.

if you read John darko's review of the dragonfly (read and look at his comments towards the very bottom), one of the newest comments asks him about its sound vs the iPhone 6 , and he said for sure it sounded much better ..significantly... I think I said night and day even ...so I think it's great to hear your op...basically it says get out there listen to things on your own and make your own assessment.

Actually it's me who asked John about the iPhone 6; you're quite sharp :wink:
We do our research and gather opinions from experts, but ultimately it's our ears and how the equipment synergies with our own gear. John mentioned clearly in another comment that he didn't try it out with the Shure se846, so I had to go and give it a test drive.
Again, I'm not saying it's bad; to the contrary, there was a slight improvement to the iPhone 6, but not to the point of justifying the price. I will be getting the Mojo.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #2,297 of 2,514
That's how I'll be using it with the DF Red.  I don't use EQ of any kind and not implying that theintrospect has any on, it's just that more often than none, smartphone users has some EQ and/or enhancement turned on that can effect the output with setups using OTG USB DACs.

This point is very important, and thanks for making it explicit. Yes I have all all EQ turned off (all the time).

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,298 of 2,514
This website has a review in Dutch. There is a PDF download with a better English translation, but Google translate gets the point across. Reviewer uses both Black and Red with the AQ Nighthawks out of an iPhone 6 and Mac Mini.

http://artsexcellence.com/site/audioquest-dragonfly-black-en-red-usb-dacs/

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,299 of 2,514
well it seems only one cdn carrier will sell the new htc 10 (and its not the one i work for lol)
...my current phone has only 15gb of storage, which of course is laughable
('tis the lg nexus 5 purchased 3 yrs ago, before my interest in audio was re engaged)

....drats....so might even consider the apple 'lowly' ipod touch 6 with this gizmo....cheap, lightweight and small.
all up there with the dragonfly...or might have swallow the form factor/extra weight and swing for the chord.
(chord has ruly hit it out of the park with the mojo, such a sought after product)...heck there were some on the chord
site who'd done this and feels it's one of the best for bang buck combos.

if anyone does a pairing, pls share your thoughts.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #2,300 of 2,514
I ordered mine from Amazon as well. I've also checked if HiDEF Lifestyle is an authorized distributor which they are based from Audioquest website before ordering as they are the only one selling it with Amazon prime.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #2,302 of 2,514
Since I already have the v1.2, I wanted to try using it on my Nexus 6p. Is it normal that the output using the Dragonfly is lower than on the headphone output?

See posts 2000 - 2002

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,304 of 2,514
I didn't get any "answers" within those posts. Am I missing something?

Sorry meant 2200 -2202!! You need to use USB Audio Player to get full control of the Dragonfly's volume. I had the same problem.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,307 of 2,514
Have you tried Onkyo HF player?

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #2,308 of 2,514
I have nothing intelligent to say. I've never tried any of the devises you'd like me to compare to. I've tried wired to a beats pill xl, and my Sony mdr-xb950's. This is my first ess chip. My initial impressions are:
HTC m8 + 16-bit wav + dragonfly red = believe the hype
Thanks to those who pointed out the need for a USB app (((d-_-b)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back