AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,381 of 2,514
May be this will help; mine came with a leather pouch and under Mac OS it says:

Product ID: 0x0081
Vendor ID: 0x21b4
Version: 1.0c
Serial Number: (C) 2011 Wavelength Audio, ltd.

So, it appears to be an old*er* version, but it came with a leather pouch.

Its underside (the side without the logo) is also totally black.
The one in the Audiostream review has CE and other markings in white.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,382 of 2,514
Mine is a 1.0c and I bought it 4 days after they became available. It has worked flawlessly since I got it. 

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,383 of 2,514

Mine is a 1.0c and I bought it 4 days after they became available. It has worked flawlessly since I got it. 

I contacted Audioquest last year when there were two different pouchs were floating around. I was told at that time it was just another vendor for the pouch.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,384 of 2,514
I contacted Audioquest last year when there were two different pouchs were floating around. I was told at that time it was just another vendor for the pouch.

That makes sense. There is a lot of speculation about DF versions but AQ has not chimed in with any differences here or anywhere else.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,385 of 2,514

Since no one has seen 1.1c in this "version" field.  My guess is that this is not the actual version of the DF.  

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,386 of 2,514
I hope I don't regret not spending the extra $50 for the newest version. I'll await to read people's thoughts on the new version before opening my newly bought "older" DF.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #1,387 of 2,514
  I hope I don't regret not spending the extra $50 for the newest version. I'll await to read people's thoughts on the new version before opening my newly bought "older" DF.

Don't sweat it...The original does a fine job. Unless you are using DSD or 24/192 you will not be disappointed.

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,388 of 2,514
The Dragonfly is great value either way and very portable and easy to use. Its actually great not having to worry about drivers or anything. I have had 2 DFs in the past which I used as stopgap DACs and I have been sorry every time I had to sell one. The Dragonfly with the Garage 1217 Project Sunrise ii was an especially fun combination to listen to. I have to admit that I thought that the 2nd DF I purchased sounded better than the first one. It sounded cleaner and had a more pronounced bass, but both lost their way a touch when the music got complicated. I often had issues with the first DF with USB audio dropouts which I never experienced with the 2nd unit.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,389 of 2,514
  Don't sweat it...The original does a fine job. Unless you are using DSD or 24/192 you will not be disappointed.

And if that's the case, you'd still be disappointed with the new one, as the neither of them do DSD or 24/192.  I'd be on the fence, personally.  $150 is still a good deal, for an upgrade to something that up until last week was $200.  

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,391 of 2,514
I just got them and running them. easily the best 100 dollars I've spent. No competition... EASILY best 100 dollars spent.

if you're on the fence... just do yourself a favor and get it!

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,393 of 2,514
I might be able to get one for cheap as well. Contemplating picking up the original V1.0. I'm intrigued by it's portability and size factor, and my E10 is crapping out.

How is this as a DAC? Going to be pairing this with Emotiva Mini-x-a-100 ----> LCD-3. 

Also, anyone try D2000 directly out of these?

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,395 of 2,514
Among the improvements, the circuitry between the DAC chip and the analog output stage has been refined to create a more direct signal path, leading to even greater transparency and immediacy. Also, the DAC’s power supply has been fortified, which gives the sound more “grip,” and even greater dynamic contrast.

^copied from website.

theyre available now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back