AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Dec 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,579 of 2,514
  I had the dragonfly for a short time and had popping noises with iTunes windows 7..sounded like a old record!

check your audio drivers.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,581 of 2,514
  Out of curiosity, what OS has everyone been experiencing these problems on?

I had this issue on Linux, though not with all material - it only happened on a DVD-Audio disc as well as downsampled 24/192 AIFF files for me. In this case, I had to move the DragonFly from the USB 1.0 / 2.0 port to the USB 3.0 port on my laptop (Dell Precision M4600). That solved the popping / sync issues.

I'm not sure whether this is a result of the USB driver (EHCI vs. XHCI) in the Linux kernel or something hardware-related. I am on the latest stable kernel, though, which is 3.12.6 as of this post.

I haven't tried to reproduce on Windows 7 - maybe I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,582 of 2,514
The Note 3 can plug and play the DragonFly v1.0.. now I need some way to hold them both together without bending their connectors :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,584 of 2,514
  No need for UARP/UAPP?

I have no clue what those are but I literally just plugged in the dragonfly to my OTG cable and opened up poweramp and plugged in my headphones to the dragonfly and it fed sound directly. Feeds it well too because on my Note 3, 1 tick is too loud for me but with the DragonFly I can use like ~5 ticks.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,585 of 2,514

I have no clue what those are but I literally just plugged in the dragonfly to my OTG cable and opened up poweramp and plugged in my headphones to the dragonfly and it fed sound directly. Feeds it well too because on my Note 3, 1 tick is too loud for me but with the DragonFly I can use like ~5 ticks.

I haven't been able to get the DF to run with any of my Android devices (versus my other DACs) which is one reason I'm currently ebaying it. Glad to hear it works with the Note 3 though. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,586 of 2,514
I haven't been able to get the DF to run with any of my Android devices (versus my other DACs) which is one reason I'm currently ebaying it. Glad to hear it works with the Note 3 though. 

Likely your android version is not high enough. USB audio out has been enabled in kitkat, note 3, nexus etc. Don't worry it will be common for android devices soon.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,588 of 2,514
Which Android version please? I have a T-Mobile Note 3 and am considering the DF.

Verizon's latest, MJE. Android 4.3. Accidentally updated to latest so not sure if it works with previous versions.

Edit: It actually doesn't work consistently for me. I have to re-plug it in a few times to get it to work because other times it's like underpowered or something and there's a lot of static and the vocals go really deep. I'll wait for the v1.2 and then see if it also occurs for that one. Not a huge deal breaker for me because I feel as if the Note's USB port would be easy to break. Sounds much better than the headphone jack though. Using Westone ES3X

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,589 of 2,514
Verizon's latest, MJE. Android 4.3. Accidentally updated to latest so not sure if it works with previous versions.

Edit: It actually doesn't work consistently for me. I have to re-plug it in a few times to get it to work because other times it's like underpowered or something and there's a lot of static and the vocals go really deep. I'll wait for the v1.2 and then see if it also occurs for that one. Not a huge deal breaker for me because I feel as if the Note's USB port would be easy to break. Sounds much better than the headphone jack though. Using Westone ES3X

That's actually a pretty common problem on tablets where output power on usb is often sub-standard. Using an external powered USB hub is the solution.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,590 of 2,514
Likely your android version is not high enough. USB audio out has been enabled in kitkat, note 3, nexus etc. Don't worry it will be common for android devices soon.

USB audio out on the DF still doesn't work where it should on all of my devices that support it (where it works fine with my Concero HD) even when externally powered with either a powered hub or a Y split cable, including my HTC One running 4.4 
wink.gif
 It simply has less compatibility with Android than most USB audio devices. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back