Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #946 of 1,214
He's sort of right.

Windows doesn't always display the available sample rates correctly... it depends on the driver and Windows.
The AP will cheerfully do 88 or 176 in WASAPI, or in Windows XP, so it can certainly do them.
Presumably, however, Windows 7 doesn't correctly interact with the AP driver.

The bigger issue is that whatever rate you have set in that "shared" dialog actually serves as a default,
and Windows 7 will usually re-sample anything you play to that sample rate (anything you play in DS mode),
which you would probably prefer it didn't do.

You play something in Foobar, in DS mode, with nothing else playing, and the "allow apps to have exclusive control" box checked,
and you will find that, while Foobar displays the correct rate, what's actually coming out is being re-sampled to
the rate you have chosen in that dialog box.

It won't do that in WASAPI (which works as it should).

Windows XP doesn't do any of that odd stuff.....

Quote:
from audiophilleo site:

Why don't the 88.2 and 176.4 sample rates show up in the Windows control panel?

All versions of Windows have a bug which causes these sample rates to not be displayed even though they are available. This will happen with any audio device.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #947 of 1,214
True and if I wasn't running a NOS DAC it wouldn't matter.  Actually as it turns out... still doesn't matter since after actually using the damn thing instead of reading about it, I prefer 44 to 96.

In other news, I'm likely going to bring in 1 more DAC so round out my 'trials' and Philip has been super cool about extending my trial period to accommodate the comparison.  The AP isn't cheap but the support is awesome!

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #948 of 1,214
Quote:
Most aren't, Canare RCAPs are :wink:  That said, define high end.  The only DAC on my radar is the PS PWD2 and its RCA as well.

In the end it really doesn't matter.  Think we can agree on this though... if you have BNC on one end and RCA on the other... you lose any advantage BNC had and possibly even worse since 75 ohm RCA standards aren't designed around BNC on the other side, ya?

I'm pretty sure you'd still come out ahead with only one side BNC.  Then you could still use a proper 75 ohm cable and then a simple adapter.  The adapter is just a short and could wind up being the same as some bnc connectors anyway.  Besides, you next DAC may have bnc too.  I think all mine have bnc and my adapters have bnc though it was something I looked for.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #949 of 1,214
I wonder if you guys could help me to set up my PP and Audiophilio 1 so that the batteries r always charged. It use to work fine in that regard but I have some problem with them and resetting everything has messed things up. My PP use to only come on when I started amarra, now it comes on as soon as my iMac comes out of sleep mode and the battery gets used up. This did not happen before.
I wonder what setting I messed up!

Thanks

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #951 of 1,214
I have, printed the manual and read it . Have not been able to fix.
Phillip must be busy or still sick , he was sick over te weekend.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #952 of 1,214
Hello all.

I have come across a AP 2nd hand and I'm going through with the purchase.  Its an original one bought over a year ago.

I also have £100 ($150) extra to either buy a AQVOX power supply or a battery pack (if one exists for that price).

How would I best spend the £100?  Are there any battery packs available for £100?

I will be using the AP with a Rega DAC and a Mac Mini with Pure Music software.

I currently have a HiFace 2 which is decent, but the AP is too good to turn down.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #953 of 1,214
On music.  The AP series has its transformer isolation before the clocks so they are not fed by 'dirty' power.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #955 of 1,214
Probably is if done right, but do you actually know that the AQVOX is done right?  Or that the cheap battery packs don't have even noisier charging units than your USB?  I know my PC power supply has stupid low ripple and noise so its not even on my radar.  Audiophilleo's own battery unit is routed to the clocks and output only so its pretty clear they believe its more important to isolate the processor and output more than anything else.  That and frankly, you could very well not even be able to tell the difference between the AP2 and HF2 depending on your DAC.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #956 of 1,214
Quote:
Probably is if done right, but do you actually know that the AQVOX is done right?  Or that the cheap battery packs don't have even noisier charging units than your USB?  I know my PC power supply has stupid low ripple and noise so its not even on my radar.  Audiophilleo's own battery unit is routed to the clocks and output only so its pretty clear they believe its more important to isolate the processor and output more than anything else.  That and frankly, you could very well not even be able to tell the difference between the AP2 and HF2 depending on your DAC.

I don't know why you are shooting me down.  I only asked a question.  You are also inferring that I'm wasting my time buying the AP if I have a HiFace 2.  

What is your problem??  

The AP is a good deal.  If it doesn't make a difference I can sell it for what I paid.  

I only asked the question because I have heard a battery pack can make a difference.  I have also read posts from people who have used the Aqvox to good effect.  

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #957 of 1,214
Not shooting you down.  Shooting down the idea that just because you can do something that it makes it a good idea :wink:  Last I checked you don't make the AQVOX or AP :p  And no one who has liked the AQVOX can show you that its a clean supply, its an assumption.  The other thing is its EU 220V only so your location isn't listed but if you are here in NA... not an option.

The point of a usb>spdif adapter is to get a good spdif output.  Once you have that, diminishing returns kick in.  My Metrum has 0 input jitter reduction scheme going on, so it is a good candidate for having the 'best'.  The PWD2 I have coming in has a great jitter reduction scheme so I don't think the AP2 will be even needed.

Your DAC could be good enough to not care whether its fed by an AP2 or HF2, so keep your money until you know one way or the other.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #960 of 1,214
Well my new cables came in allowing me to compare the AP2 w/ WireWorld UV to my old EMU 1212m which also has dedicated crystal clocks for 44 and 48 as well as galvanic isolation.  As good as the 1212m was back in 2004 for PC audio... it just doesn't compete with the AP2.  In comparison the 1212m almost sounds broken.  The sound is brighter, edgier, not fuzzy and still focused but completely flat down low.  Imagine a sound that start flat and laid back and as frequency increases so does attack and dynamics... weird result let me tell you :p

My PWD2 should hit my door Monday or Tuesday and then the real, almost fair, comparison can begin.  A big part of me hopes the PWD2 has a USB input that is as good as the AP2 because well $600 is $600 :wink:

But for now its fair to say the AP2 is without a question better than onboard spdif and professional soundcards as well.  The level above the EMU costs more than the AP2 so... not really relevant.  I'd love to have another usb>spdif on hand to see how much of the performance is from being out of the PC but since I'm happy with the AP2, not much point :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back