Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Sep 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #916 of 1,214
I tried two different ports on my computer (one at the front and one at the back), but that didn't solve it.  I don't have the AP2 anymore so i can't test any further.

@Caution

So you are saying that you got it working fine just by using a different usb port? If that's the case, there is still some hope for me lol

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #917 of 1,214
Quote:
I tried two different ports on my computer (one at the front and one at the back), but that didn't solve it.  I don't have the AP2 anymore so i can't test any further.

@Caution

So you are saying that you got it working fine just by using a different usb port? If that's the case, there is still some hope for me lol

I think there's a fair chance that whatever caused your audiophilleo to die may have contributed to the problems you encountered before.  I guess there's plenty of time to worry about the computer you were using when it gets back, but... a few general windows setting tweaks you may want to try:

-turn off all power management options, no powering down of hard drives, no CPU power saving, no powering down usb devices etc.
-turn off speed step or any power saving or speed stepping options for the cpu.
-set performance priority to background tasks.
-turn wifi off if you can.  LAN cable connection seems to be better if possible (windows wifi service tends to create a nasty latency spike ever minute or so which you will probably hear as a dropout)
-use a lightweight antivirus like Vipre (less background I/O activity)
-go through blackviper list and disable unnecessary processes (less background I/O activity)

depending what you are using the computer for some or all of these settings may not be practical, so I guess some discretion is required.  Sorry if you have already gone through some of this stuff.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #918 of 1,214
Quote:

@Caution

Yep! Also my laptop doesn't have this problem, I can use any port. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #920 of 1,214
Anyone running an AP1 or AP2 confirm what options you have for shared playback in Windows 7?  I got mine today and big downer no 88 or 176 options for 16 or 24 bit playback.  Kind of a big deal for the Octave which won't do 192.  Let me know soon because unless it flat out destroys the toslink Octave and USB fed DAC-2 I'll likely return it.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #921 of 1,214
from audiophilleo site:

Why don't the 88.2 and 176.4 sample rates show up in the Windows control panel?

All versions of Windows have a bug which causes these sample rates to not be displayed even though they are available. This will happen with any audio device.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #922 of 1,214
Ya except that its not true.  The m2tech in my W4S shows 88 and 176 as does my onboard toslink soundcard.  But they suck so :wink:

Other observations, the slow mute thing... please make it an option.  Sucks to mute and still have a finger up 'one minute, almost there, ok go' :p

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #923 of 1,214
Ok, I have well over 100 hours on the the Audiophilleo 2 + PurePower. I am feeding it with a SBT + EDO into an Anedio D2 Dac which is feeding my beloved Decware Torii MKIII and Zu Soul Superfly's.

I won't repeat everything said by Currawong and others on this excellent thread, but suffice to say, it is all true. It removes that last bit of glare, smoother and more organic presentation, wider and deeper soundstage, more 3 dimensional, tighter bass, more defined imaging and so on.

The USB on the Anedio D2 is very, very good, but the Audiophilleo + PP clearly improves everything. These improvements are especially noticeable on High Rez tracks to which I am now addicted!

I was pleasantly surprised that my sweet spot is now much wider and I can turn up the volume much louder than before. Most of all, I just love how effortlessly the music flows. I thought my system was already engaging, but now it is simply sublime.

That automatic charging is flawless. You can just forget about it.

I will definitely be keeping mine!

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #924 of 1,214
Thought I might take a few shots so I'm being clear...

W4S DAC-2 (m2tech hiface OEM)

AP2 (1.7 driver)

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #925 of 1,214
Quote:
Thought I might take a few shots so I'm being clear...

W4S DAC-2 (m2tech hiface OEM)

AP2 (1.7 driver)

That is pretty odd, I never looked at this.  Does anyone have a DAC that shows the sampling frequency of the incoming SPDIF signal?  

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #927 of 1,214
To be able to oversample before the DAC.  NOS DACs fed 44k do nasty stuff.  I don't play anything but 44k material so I need it up/oversampled before the NOS DAC.  If the W4S bests it, then yes it doesn't matter since it can do 192k and even fed 44 it upsamples so, no biggy.

The other technical side of it is the way I use my rig, I rarely just sit and listen with nothing else going on.  Having the higher rates means a better mix is sent to the DAC, NOS or not.  Mixing anywhere from 2-128 sources to 16/44 is, not surprisingly, not lossless :wink:

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #928 of 1,214
Apparently the bug is limited to 24bit, which is why it shows up under 16bit for the m2tech.  Guess it comes down to whether you fancy more  lower res sample or less high res samples /shrug

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #929 of 1,214
Well I've finished my W4S DAC-2 v Metrum Octave using the AP2 on both, using JRiver WASAPI originally at 176K but dropped back down to 44K since I felt the higher rates pushed things to extreme left/right.  Anyway my notes are shall we say minimalist at best today but the overwhelming take away was the Metrum is just as detailed, tonally more balanced and doesn't stop events early.  I wouldn't have said so before but after the W4S sounds shouty in comparison, starting and stopping unnaturally fast.

But this is a AP2 thread so... well now I'm on the Metrum exclusively and switching between onboard toslink and the AP2 isn't jumping out at me.  Granted this is not a critical listen but you'd think I'd be able to point at something.  Will also add that since the AP is supposed to be direct connected, that it should be redesigned to be an RCA male output with BNC adapters.  I say this because frankly most DACs have RCA jacks not BNC and the adapters provided have a lot of give.  They tend to drop signal often if not under pressure.  I might try a JKSPDIF but I have to say the new model is brutally ugly compared to the original Mk3 with toggle and led.  Or I might just call it a day and get a sound card with 22 and 24MHz clocks onboard.  Sigh.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #930 of 1,214
Quote:
But this is a AP2 thread so... well now I'm on the Metrum exclusively and switching between onboard toslink and the AP2 isn't jumping out at me.  Granted this is not a critical listen but you'd think I'd be able to point at something.  Will also add that since the AP is supposed to be direct connected, that it should be redesigned to be an RCA male output with BNC adapters.  I say this because frankly most DACs have RCA jacks not BNC and the adapters provided have a lot of give.  They tend to drop signal often if not under pressure.  I might try a JKSPDIF but I have to say the new model is brutally ugly compared to the original Mk3 with toggle and led.  Or I might just call it a day and get a sound card with 22 and 24MHz clocks onboard.  Sigh.

You're going to change your USB converter over an adapter? Just get a different S/Pdif cable, BNC on one end, RCA on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back