Audiophile iOS audio player
Apr 21, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #631 of 855
When I use Cipher I do not know what lighting puts out to Cipher. But when I use mojo I can see on the colours on mojo that even DSD is feed to mojo. The colours on mojo change depending on the file being played.

... which makes me ask for another "essential" feature a player should have (iAudioGate has it): display tracks's file format and bit/sample rate *and* what is being sent to the DAC (plus possibly what DAC it is :wink:

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #632 of 855
@peter2

My iPhone have 256gb memory. The files are mixed, maby 1/3 lossless. And the player handles it well.

When I use Cipher I do not know what lighting puts out to Cipher. But when I use mojo I can see on the colours on mojo that even DSD is feed to mojo. The colours on mojo change depending on the file being played.

In iAudiogate, when you play a song, the screen displays both the original format and what's going out to the cipher/mojo. But if you don't use high-res, this doesn't matter. Everything works - or should work :) I'm curious why you're doing all this if you use 16/44, which the default music app works well with.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #633 of 855
... which makes me ask for another "essential" feature a player should have (iAudioGate has it): display tracks's file format and bit/sample rate *and* what is being sent to the DAC (plus possibly what DAC it is :wink:

Now when I'm playing a 24/48 file with mojo. Kaisertone show: Flac 48khz/24bit PCM 48khz

It doesn't display that it's mojo it's sending to in the same window.

I really liked Audiogate, but it didn't work with some Swedish songs containing letters Å, Ä and Ö. But that's only a problem for very few users. Another thing that put me off Audiogate was that the search engine on my iPhone 7 was very slow. Probably because the big number of files in my library.

If iaduiogate had work with the letters and search engine. It would be my first choice today. But Kaisertone has some interesting functions that I want to explore. And today the only one that works for me of the ones I tested.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #634 of 855
In iAudiogate, when you play a song, the screen displays both the original format and what's going out to the cipher/mojo. But if you don't use high-res, this doesn't matter. Everything works - or should work :) I'm curious why you're doing all this if you use 16/44, which the default music app works well with.

Sorry, I was wrong. Look at the message before this one when it comes to displaying.

I have quite a few high-res files. And there will be more in the future.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #635 of 855

Agreed to your points (1) and (2), I kind of assumed that this would go without saying.

However, I could live without the software telling me what kind of DAC I am using

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #636 of 855
Agreed to your points (1) and (2), I kind of assumed that this would go without saying.

However, I could live without the software telling me what kind of DAC I am using

I have found the software indicating the DAC to be very useful. There have been too many times DACs or the iPhone have dropped their connection and having that indicator in iAudioGate has been an essential quick troubleshooting tool.

I would consider it an essential item for me.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #637 of 855
i been using Onkyo HF for 96k file
and Jet Audio for everything else. i love that i can browse thru all FLAC songs by folders in Jet Audio( based on how i put them in app's document in itune), makes my life a lot easier

can you browse thru songs by folders in Kasertone or iAudio?

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #638 of 855
i been using Onkyo HF for 96k file
and Jet Audio for everything else. i love that i can browse thru all FLAC songs by folders in Jet Audio( based on how i put them in app's document in itune), makes my life a lot easier

can you browse thru songs by folders in Kasertone or iAudio?

IAudioGate does not have browse by folder. I have been waiting on that feature for a long time. Even made a request for it.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #639 of 855
NePLAYER
iAudiogate
Kaisertone

I have bought and used/tested all three. I prefer NePLAYER but others iAudiogate or Kaisertone. All three applications will play high resolution music and output a bit perfect signal. It is all about system synergy. My advice is to buy all three and let your ears decide which sounds best.

OK, so I purchased NePLAYER for iOS a couple of weeks ago, and have been putting it through it's paces. Generally speaking, the feature set is nice even for basic .aac / .mp3 files.

However, I have a problem. When playing hi-fidelity audio files, the app stops after playing only one song on an album. Regular audio files play/shuffle/repeat just fine, but when playing hi-fidelity files, the app regularly stops after playing just one song. I've tried everything, from creating a playlist, shuffle on/off, repeat on/off, and nothing seems to work. (And yes, I even tried a hard reset on my phone, to no avail.)

It happens with either 16 or 24 bit audio files I transferred over.

I'm using the most recent iOS 10.3.1 on an iPhone 5s. Are there any other recommendations, or settings I may be missing somewhere?

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #640 of 855
OK, so I purchased NePLAYER for iOS a couple of weeks ago, and have been putting it through it's paces. Generally speaking, the feature set is nice even for basic .aac / .mp3 files.

However, I have a problem. When playing hi-fidelity audio files, the app stops after playing only one song on an album. Regular audio files play/shuffle/repeat just fine, but when playing hi-fidelity files, the app regularly stops after playing just one song. I've tried everything, from creating a playlist, shuffle on/off, repeat on/off, and nothing seems to work. (And yes, I even tried a hard reset on my phone, to no avail.)

It happens with either 16 or 24 bit audio files I transferred over.

I'm using the most recent iOS 10.3.1 on an iPhone 5s. Are there any other recommendations, or settings I may be missing somewhere?

Follow-up: It seems that the app will advance to the next track as normal if the phone isn't in sleep mode (If the screen is still on, it will advance to the next track). But if the phone screen isn't on, the app will not advance to the next track, but ONLY with hi-fidelity audio files.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #641 of 855
Follow-up: It seems that the app will advance to the next track as normal if the phone isn't in sleep mode (If the screen is still on, it will advance to the next track). But if the phone screen isn't on, the app will not advance to the next track, but ONLY with hi-fidelity audio files.

Somebody? Anybody?

I've tried out the Kaisertone app as well, with the same result. It's odd, as I had both apps working properly yesterday evening, but today I'm running into the same situation - neither app is auto-advancing to the next audio track (even in a playlist), but only for hi-fidelity audio files. The main files I'm experiencing this with today are 24-bit / 96k.

I'm just running a straight iPhone 5s connection to 64 Audio U12's (no DAC, amp, etc.). I've checked every setting I can think of, with no good results.

Does the 5s just not have enough processing power, or is there some obscure setting I'm missing somewhere that's causing this to occur?

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #642 of 855
The two features no one else has are:

• A universal way to wirelessly get tracks downloaded to the app, not Airdrop (Mac only), or Wi-Fi (laptop only). I also think you gotta include ability to download multiple tracks at once from at least one of: UPnP, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive (see Foobar2000 mobile and SigmaTunes ST-1 as good examples of this)
  • Ability to create playlists from within the app (as a start), and eventually ability to create playlists that combine lossless tracks with iTunes library tracks (see Foobar2000 mobile as example of this)

As far as UI goes I think Spotify, iAudiogate, and ST-1 are good starting points. On the other hand, I find Tidal to be somewhat non-intuitive.

As far as free or ads are concerned, I don't expect developers to work for free and I would be happy to pay $10-20 USD for an app that can do this.

All of the above! I'd say you should look at VLC for all of its connectivity options. I can download from Google Drive, Dropbox, SMB, DLNA, IP address via local network...it's great. Except for the sound, that is. :wink:

That plus gapless gets a sale from me. (And nice, flat sound. )

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #643 of 855
Somebody? Anybody?

I've tried out the Kaisertone app as well, with the same result. It's odd, as I had both apps working properly yesterday evening, but today I'm running into the same situation - neither app is auto-advancing to the next audio track (even in a playlist), but only for hi-fidelity audio files. The main files I'm experiencing this with today are 24-bit / 96k.

I'm just running a straight iPhone 5s connection to 64 Audio U12's (no DAC, amp, etc.). I've checked every setting I can think of, with no good results.

Does the 5s just not have enough processing power, or is there some obscure setting I'm missing somewhere that's causing this to occur?

I've had this problem using AirDrop. When you do that it only plays one track in an album then stops. To get around that use iTunes to import it. If you don't use Apple Music just drag the files to the phone. If not, then you have to select the phone in iTunes then add tracks under apps.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #644 of 855
OK, also new to this thread, so here's what I'm searching for in an iOS app:

1. Needs to play FLAC/ALAC (and lossy mp3/aac). 95% of my files are 16/44.1, so hi-rez isn't a must have, but it should be able to handle them, even if it converts on-the-fly.
  2. Connects to Google Drive and Dropbox for streaming and downloading.
  3. SMB and/or DLNA connection to my ASUS router-attached external HD, for streaming and downloading.
  4. Offline playback capability (as well as streaming).
  5. Gapless playback capability.

So far, the only players I've found that come close are VLC (quirky, bad sound, no gapless), and FLACbox (no gapless).

Any suggestions that tick all my boxes?

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back