Audiophile iOS audio player
Apr 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #617 of 855
Hello Everyone

I have been reading through all the pages of this great thread, getting as much information as possible.

I am an iOS developer and want to create a great app for listen music. I will appreciate any help from you!

As it is imposible for a team of one to get the "all features perfect app" in a short time, I decided to make a first version with the basics only... and then add different features with time, my dream is that you all can use it as your chosen app for music in the future =) 

For a first usable version, I would priorize:

- A nice and easy UI
- Free (no ads, hate the ads)
- Mp3, ALAC and FLAC capable
- getting the music from the iTunes library as well to straight into the app
- high resolution capable, with perfect bit output
- low power consumption 

I think this are the very basic. Do you think there should be another imprescindible feature? (advanced features will be added later, just need the "must have" now) 

Any help or commentary will be appreciated... I love music and I love iOS... so I think I need to create an app myself.

regards!

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #618 of 855
really looking forward to it :)

please also add AIFF support (both ".aif" *and* ".aiff" file extensions)
and please: make use of disc number/total discs tags (looks almost no one does :rolleyes: )

thanks

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #619 of 855
  really looking forward to it :)

please also add AIFF support (both ".aif" *and* ".aiff" file extensions)
and please: make use of disc number/total discs tags (looks almost no one does :rolleyes: )

thanks

ok! I will! thank you!

about the disc number... what you mean? For example, when I use the apple music app, if I tag a double album with disc1 and disc2 and both disc have the same name, then it will appear like just one album with two discs (as It must). Is this what you are talking about?

By the way, may be some people come here to look for iOS music apps and I am contaminating this thread... should I create another thread?

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #620 of 855

about the disc number... what you mean? For example, when I use the apple music app, if I tag a double album with disc1 and disc2 and both disc have the same name, then it will appear like just one album with two discs (as It must). Is this what you are talking about?

exactly! :)

some apps do not use disc number :rolleyes: so, as I usually organise my music by "1 folder = 1 album", I end up with tracks sorted (mixed!) by just track number :mad:

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #621 of 855
Hello velasfloyd,

Welcome!

I think we found a new "Damien" (Developer of Audirvana) here :)
Because, Once he started like this at CA forum ...

Well, Good functionality and Sound/SQ are what people always looking for, so those should be your goal.

Easy and fun to use and engaging sound would be appreciated by many.

Now, for your question, when you'll first drop the Bomb( the app) then that would be the nice time to start a new thread :wink:

For features, I would like to request you to add proper support for .CUE file. And obviously gapless playback support because by your username/alias its look like you are a Pink Floyd fan! (If I'm not wrong though ) :wink:

Best regards:)

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #622 of 855
Hello velasfloyd,

Welcome!

I think we found a new "Damien" (Developer of Audirvana) here
smily_headphones1.gif

Because, Once he started like this at CA forum ...

Well, Good functionality and Sound/SQ are what people always looking for, so those should be your goal.

Easy and fun to use and engaging sound would be appreciated by many.

Now, for your question, when you'll first drop the Bomb( the app) then that would be the nice time to start a new thread
wink.gif

For features, I would like to request you to add proper support for .CUE file. And obviously gapless playback support because by your username/alias its look like you are a Pink Floyd fan! (If I'm not wrong though )
wink.gif

Best regards:)

Hey, thanks for your comment!

Working right now on the app, very motivated. .CUE and gapless added to my backlog... you are right, I need to listen the conceptual Pink Floyd albums with no gap!! (Pink Floyd to death fan here... still paying my debts after following Gilmour through Europe last year)

About sound quality. Being a novate audiophile, a guitarist player and a music lover in general... I have some doubts about it:

Do not want you the music as pure as possible? I mean. There is 2 options. First is no modification at all to the original bits from the font. I would just take this bits and pass straight through the digital output... so an external dac/amp would take it and colour it.

Second option is to use the internal dac and then it is my task to get the bits into an analogue wave. But, at this point is when one app is different from another... I have read all your reviews in this thread about the different music apps, and you say there are actually different kind of sounds... some of them better, bright, warm and so on.... so, if the hardware is the same (iphone or ipod hardware)... whats make this difference? then, the only answer I can think about is equalization. just apply a custom equalization could make one app be different to another... and if some user likes some equalization he/she will say than "this app sounds better".... but I would say is not sounding better if the music file and the hardware is the same.... 

So, in this way.... it is not just better no equalization at all? (and may add a graphic equalizer for the user). So, if I create an app with my own equalization... for example, powering the bass, some will like and some other don´t.... as is the case of the different apps right now

what do you think? apart from equalization, having the same file and the same hardware... what could be doing a different sound?

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #623 of 855

- A nice and easy UI
- low power consumption 

I think this are the very basic. Do you think there should be another imprescindible feature? (advanced features will be added later, just need the "must have" now) 

The two features no one else has are:
  • A universal way to wirelessly get tracks downloaded to the app, not Airdrop (Mac only), or Wi-Fi (laptop only). I also think you gotta include ability to download multiple tracks at once from at least one of: UPnP, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive (see Foobar2000 mobile and SigmaTunes ST-1 as good examples of this)
  • Ability to create playlists from within the app (as a start), and eventually ability to create playlists that combine lossless tracks with iTunes library tracks (see Foobar2000 mobile as example of this)

As far as UI goes I think Spotify, iAudiogate, and ST-1 are good starting points. On the other hand, I find Tidal to be somewhat non-intuitive.

As far as free or ads are concerned, I don't expect developers to work for free and I would be happy to pay $10-20 USD for an app that can do this. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #624 of 855
  whats make this difference? 

what do you think? apart from equalization, having the same file and the same hardware... what could be doing a different sound?

I have found the biggest difference in sound quality to be associated with equalizer and gain settings in the app. For example, using iAudiogate with my DragonFly Red and UE 900s IEM's, the music sounded terrible (mushy, distorted - especially the lows) with equalizer "on" and +0 gain, but if I turned down the gain and turned the volume up, it sounded much better. However, switching to high impedance cans like the HD650 required adjusting gain higher. 

In all cases, to me it appears the best sound comes with equalizer and gain off

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #625 of 855

The two features no one else has are:
  • A universal way to wirelessly get tracks downloaded to the app, not Airdrop (Mac only), or Wi-Fi (laptop only). I also think you gotta include ability to download multiple tracks at once from at least one of: UPnP, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive (see Foobar2000 mobile and SigmaTunes ST-1 as good examples of this)
  • Ability to create playlists from within the app (as a start), and eventually ability to create playlists that combine lossless tracks with iTunes library tracks (see Foobar2000 mobile as example of this)

As far as UI goes I think Spotify, iAudiogate, and ST-1 are good starting points. On the other hand, I find Tidal to be somewhat non-intuitive.

As far as free or ads are concerned, I don't expect developers to work for free and I would be happy to pay $10-20 USD for an app that can do this. 

Thank you very much. both features will be considered! But, about the first one, I think it is easy to just get a quick solution and put in the description "transfer from air" or something, and then all the users will find a very bad development, buggy and not functional. So I would prefer to let this one for a post version, not the first one, as it needs to be done well, and I think it will take some effort, after all I am limited for the iPhone hardware so I need to figure out the best approach.

thanks for the UI recommendation. This is very important for me and Im looking on those apps for some ideas. I myself think a very good app can be totally destroyed if it has an ugly/difficult to use UI.

I have found the biggest difference in sound quality to be associated with equalizer and gain settings in the app. For example, using iAudiogate with my DragonFly Red and UE 900s IEM's, the music sounded terrible (mushy, distorted - especially the lows) with equalizer "on" and +0 gain, but if I turned down the gain and turned the volume up, it sounded much better. However, switching to high impedance cans like the HD650 required adjusting gain higher. 

In all cases, to me it appears the best sound comes with equalizer and gain off

Thank you very much for this information, I appreciate a lot! I will study what could be the best approach. I do like too as pure as possible. and may add options for the user to modify this if he/she wants.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #626 of 855
  Hello Everyone

I have been reading through all the pages of this great thread, getting as much information as possible.

I am an iOS developer and want to create a great app for listen music. I will appreciate any help from you!

As it is imposible for a team of one to get the "all features perfect app" in a short time, I decided to make a first version with the basics only... and then add different features with time, my dream is that you all can use it as your chosen app for music in the future =) 

- A nice and easy UI
- low power consumption 

Any help or commentary will be appreciated... I love music and I love iOS... so I think I need to create an app myself.

regards!

Crossfeed would be a nice feature.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #627 of 855

Hey, thanks for your comment!

Working right now on the app, very motivated. .CUE and gapless added to my backlog... you are right, I need to listen the conceptual Pink Floyd albums with no gap!! (Pink Floyd to death fan here... still paying my debts after following Gilmour through Europe last year)

About sound quality. Being a novate audiophile, a guitarist player and a music lover in general... I have some doubts about it:

Do not want you the music as pure as possible? I mean. There is 2 options. First is no modification at all to the original bits from the font. I would just take this bits and pass straight through the digital output... so an external dac/amp would take it and colour it.

Second option is to use the internal dac and then it is my task to get the bits into an analogue wave. But, at this point is when one app is different from another... I have read all your reviews in this thread about the different music apps, and you say there are actually different kind of sounds... some of them better, bright, warm and so on.... so, if the hardware is the same (iphone or ipod hardware)... whats make this difference? then, the only answer I can think about is equalization. just apply a custom equalization could make one app be different to another... and if some user likes some equalization he/she will say than "this app sounds better".... but I would say is not sounding better if the music file and the hardware is the same.... 

So, in this way.... it is not just better no equalization at all? (and may add a graphic equalizer for the user). So, if I create an app with my own equalization... for example, powering the bass, some will like and some other don´t.... as is the case of the different apps right now

Hello from another PF fan / iOS dev here :) 

I'm very curious how you make out with this. These are all very good questions you are raising re sound colouring.
I've always been curious what do all these apps differently to the bitstream that they all sound different.

Curious, are you using objC or Swift for this project? Let me know if you want any help :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #628 of 855
Hi everyone,

I just got my new iPhone. I went for 256gb instead of buying a new dap. I already had Onkyo Hf player. And downloaded Iaudiogate and Kaisertone. I have not tested that much yet but this is my early thoughts. And so far not concerning sound.

iaudiogate

I havent tested it much because I couldn't get it to handle files named in specific Swedish letters as Å,Ä and Ö. That's a deal breaker for me. And the search function was really slow. Could be that I have over 10 000 files. So I asked apple to get my money back.

Kaisertone

Just installed and uploaded some files to test. Handle Swedish letters fine. It has a lot of options and looks interesting. Not so nice looking graficly as the others I tested, but that's ok for me. Haven't put search function to test yet, have just a few files on it. But could be one of choice.

Onkyo HF Player

The one I'm using now and so far it's working fine. (Edit. Just noticed that this doesn't handle files with Swedish letters) The search function is superb. Very fast and shows results in many angels. One thing I miss is to search sample rate as is possible in other players.

Next thing is to find out how Chord mojo and Audeze iSINE cipher works with the ones I'm testing.

After a few days of testing Kaisertone is the only one of the three I tested that works for me. It's the only one that handles Swedish specific letters Å, Ä and Ö. And the search engine is almost as good as Onkyo HF player.
And as I understand the only one of them that has a useful playlist operation inside the app. Correct me if I'm wrong in any of my statements.

Still got some problems sometimes to connect Chord mojo to my iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.1

All the best to you!

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #629 of 855
iaudiogate

I havent tested it much because I couldn't get it to handle files named in specific Swedish letters as Å,Ä and Ö. That's a deal breaker for me. And the search function was really slow. Could be that I have over 10 000 files. So I asked apple to get my money back.

How do you squeeze more than 10 000 music files into iaudiogate on an iPhone, not lossless?

Next thing is to find out how Chord mojo and Audeze iSINE cipher works with the ones I'm testing.

I think all of them will work well with the iSine cipher cable (only tested with iAudiogate), but lightning only supports 24/48. That might not be a problem for you, but it does not make sense to put large files on the iPhone only to have them downsampled.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #630 of 855
@peter2

My iPhone have 256gb memory. The files are mixed, maby 1/3 lossless. And the player handles it well.

When I use Cipher I do not know what lighting puts out to Cipher. But when I use mojo I can see on the colours on mojo that even DSD is feed to mojo. The colours on mojo change depending on the file being played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back