Audiophile iOS audio player
Apr 11, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #601 of 855
  Anybody here using vox? any pro or con with this player? seems to have a decent interface and wonder how it sounds and if it can be used with a dragonfly red

The sound is good and it works well with Dragonfly red. I have not used it for a couple of months because I uploded about 12000 albums and the interface is really not ready to handle a collection like that - especially when you are used to interfaces like Roon and jRiver. There is for example no navigation based on genre, only artists and albums. That said, it works well on an iPhone 7 and streams well on 4G even if the source is 24-96 - there is some buffering but not that much. The Mac app is not much more than the iPhone app, very minimal.

But for minimalists with a few hundred albums... and if you usually navigates by artist or album... The scrolling is very smooth and fast in the iPhone app I might add. Vox (with the Loop service) has great potential as an online highres version of iTunes Match or Google Play Music.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #603 of 855
I use VOX. Works great with mojo and dragonfly. The only con is having to sync files through computer using iTunes. But otherwise great for high res playback.

The only reason I considered Vox in the first place was Vox for Loop, the online service with unlimited upload of all file types, including highres. The drawback is the price - besides the drawbacks in the interface.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #605 of 855
Hi all. I have paid for and used all the apps. Relisten was pretty good but it gets sibilant and starts cutting at loud volumes. I agree that sometimes native iOS player is pretty good especially with DFR. But after 17 different apps, iAudioGate is my go to. NePLAYER would be good if you need a brighter sound to balance out some bassy headphones. I like dunk 2000j and ie800 and 1more triple out of iAudioGate with dragonfly black and red. It sounds great. Better than anything else I've tried

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #606 of 855
Hi all. I have paid for and used all the apps. Relisten was pretty good but it gets sibilant and starts cutting at loud volumes. I agree that sometimes native iOS player is pretty good especially with DFR. But after 17 different apps, iAudioGate is my go to. NePLAYER would be good if you need a brighter sound to balance out some bassy headphones. I like dunk 2000j and ie800 and 1more triple out of iAudioGate with dragonfly black and red. It sounds great. Better than anything else I've tried

i used to used Relisten player with any Hierarchy process turned off;it sounds good.i hate software processing of the apps;as it makes sond sibilant.

Btw i am in ios 10.3 ;which is warmer ;but ios 9 sounds flat.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #607 of 855
So, I'm new to this thread. Actually, I tried to create a new one asking about iOS apps but then stumbled onto this one later in the day.

To save me from reading through the many pages of this thread, what seems to be the consensus on the top 3 recommended apps for iOS?  (I've been using Can Opener for years, but it seems like it's no longer available and likely won't install once iOS 11 releases, as it's a 32-bit app and Apple is transitioning to 64-bit only.)

So again, what seems to be the consensus on the top 3 recommended music apps for iOS? 

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #608 of 855
So, I'm new to this thread. Actually, I tried to create a new one asking about iOS apps but then stumbled onto this one later in the day.

To save me from reading through the many pages of this thread, what seems to be the consensus on the top 3 recommended apps for iOS?  (I've been using Can Opener for years, but it seems like it's no longer available and likely won't install once iOS 11 releases, as it's a 32-bit app and Apple is transitioning to 64-bit only.)

So again, what seems to be the consensus on the top 3 recommended music apps for iOS? 

NePLAYER
iAudiogate
Kaisertone

I have bought and used/tested all three. I prefer NePLAYER but others iAudiogate or Kaisertone. All three applications will play high resolution music and output a bit perfect signal. It is all about system synergy. My advice is to buy all three and let your ears decide which sounds best.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #609 of 855
OK, also new to this thread, so here's what I'm searching for in an iOS app:

1. Needs to play FLAC/ALAC (and lossy mp3/aac). 95% of my files are 16/44.1, so hi-rez isn't a must have, but it should be able to handle them even if it converts on-the-fly.

1. Connects to Google Drive and Dropbox.

1. SMB connection to my ASUS router-attached external HD.

1. Offline playback capability as well as streaming.

1. Gapless playback capability.

So far, the only players I've found that come close are VLC (quirky, no gapless), and FLACbox (no gapless).

Any suggestions that tick all my boxes?

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #610 of 855
Hi everyone,

I just got my new iPhone. I went for 256gb instead of buying a new dap. I already had Onkyo Hf player. And downloaded Iaudiogate and Kaisertone. I have not tested that much yet but this is my early thoughts. And so far not concerning sound.

iaudiogate

I havent tested it much because I couldn't get it to handle files named in specific Swedish letters as Å,Ä and Ö. That's a deal breaker for me. And the search function was really slow. Could be that I have over 10 000 files. So I asked apple to get my money back.

Kaisertone

Just installed and uploaded some files to test. Handle Swedish letters fine. It has a lot of options and looks interesting. Not so nice looking graficly as the others I tested, but that's ok for me. Haven't put search function to test yet, have just a few files on it. But could be one of choice.

Onkyo HF Player

The one I'm using now and so far it's working fine. (Edit. Just noticed that this doesn't handle files with Swedish letters) The search function is superb. Very fast and shows results in many angels. One thing I miss is to search sample rate as is possible in other players.

Next thing is to find out how Chord mojo and Audeze iSINE cipher works with the ones I'm testing.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #612 of 855
Anyone figured out a way to go faster than one download at a time for iAudiogate for Dropbox/G Drive? It seems somewhat tedious to have to do it that way and I gotta believe I'm just missing something
Not really being a user, I thought (initially) that that was the way you had to do that for local files too...

Probably stupid question of the day, however - could you not put your cloud files inside directories, and drag the directories into iTunes?

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #614 of 855
Yeah, I found that annoying too. Easiest way is to add music through iTunes.

Agree and easiest way if you have FLAC files and an iMac is to use an application from the iMac Store called FLACTunes. Drag and drop a FLAC album one at a time and FLACTunes automatically converts the file into ALAC and uploads it into iTunes.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #615 of 855
Agree and easiest way if you have FLAC files and an iMac is to use an application from the iMac Store called FLACTunes. Drag and drop a FLAC album one at a time and FLACTunes automatically converts the file into ALAC and uploads it into iTunes.

I find Waltr2 from softorino.com to be the best for uploading music files into an iPhone. It is just oh-so-convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back