Audiophile iOS audio player
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #301 of 855

I have the same problem with my iPhone 6 with the Mojo and DSD128 through Onkyo HF Player.  Did you ever get it working?  I thought maybe the iPhone 6 just didn't have enough power for DSD128 but that can't be the case if the iPhone 7 has the same problem with it.

I did notice Onkyo HF Player came out with an update yesterday so I'm going to try my Tea for the Tillerman DSD128 album tomorrow and report back if the update helped.  I saw that daberti mentioned DSD128 works with nePlayer but it's hard to justify buying another app for only one album I have in DSD128.  That album does sound phenomenal though.  

It is NOT a matter of computational power mates.
It is -almost certainly- a matter of these apps not following DoP 1.0 standard, as requested by Mojo.
See Mojo manual, page 7..."
DSD decoding
DSD playback is supported using the DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers. "
This had been brought up to iAudioGate crew attention on October the 31st.
Then the very same day I added the following "What DoP standard are you using?
I spotted this into Mojo manual "DSD playback is supported using the DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers.".
For those of us who don't know what this means here it is a detailed explaination.
Just to make the whole picture a little more understandable: DoP 0xFA / 0x05 markers mean that DSD 64 will be "wrapped" into a 176.4/24.
DSD128 will be similarly DoPpped via a 352.8/24.
But PCM files will be played by iAudioGate at 192/24 max.
So, iAudioGate should (may I say it would be time to do that) enable 352.8/24 and take care of following DoP 0xFA / 0x05 markers if they wish to supportDSD128 with the Mojo .
Following the same reasoning but enabling 705.6/24 -which Mojo fully supports- also DSD256 would be enabled.
It looks like your software has long lived on past laurels, given what i.e. Kaisertone or Neutron do already offer."

No news since then, which is 1/3rd of a month.
Well, I'm an IT System Analist and let me say that shouldn't I solve a problem in day one or two I'd be sacked.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #303 of 855
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I just tried it again and no luck with the new Onkyo HF Player update fixing it. GD shame.

I'm convinced that Kaisertone unleashes the full power of Mojo, has many equalizing options (including Spline curves) and it is actually revealing, when properly configured. This is the SW I do use.

As an update, iAudioGate works in latest iOS with DSD128 with my Oppo HA2. This makes me thinking a lot :wink:

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #307 of 855
I thought as you did. I use my iPod Touch simply as a digital transport to the Chord Mojo. However in July when I compared the five most popular applications from the App Store for playing high resolution music I was surprised by the variance of the sound. The variance is not night and day but it is noticeable. Can I explain the phenomenon no but I can state there were differences.

Which player do you prefer now, after your through testing?

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #308 of 855
I thought as you did. I use my iPod Touch simply as a digital transport to the Chord Mojo. However in July when I compared the five most popular applications from the App Store for playing high resolution music I was surprised by the variance of the sound. The variance is not night and day but it is noticeable. Can I explain the phenomenon no but I can state there were differences.

Which player do you prefer now, after your through testing?

On pure sound alone, NePLAYER. Not the best user interface (that would be either KaiserTone or iAudiogate) and I cannot speak about DSD as my highest resolution files are 192/24. With those caveats, NePLAYER has a great balance across the tonal spectrum with the best detail retrieval to my electrostats.

I hate to equivocate but one thing I have learned on my audio journey is it is all about synergy. What is great with my iPod Touch, Mojo and KSE may not be best with another set up.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #309 of 855

though I asked Apple a refund (and got it) because:
- it does play AIF (even though they're not officially listed among supported formats) but doesn't read their tags :-/ (most of my HiRes collection is AIF)
- it doesn't read "Disc" and "Of" tags (not even in supported file formats) so unless one puts multidisc albums in separate folders (one per disc) the result is a mess :mad:

:thumbdown:

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #310 of 855
Hi guys, this will be my first post here. Been lurking around head-fi for a while. Just downloaded the Onkyo app. Is it just me or is there really no night and day difference with it against the built-in player?

I'm listening with them straight from the iphone 6 jack, though. Would this be the bottleneck?

Btw, I don't use EQ. I like to listen to my music as is.

What source files are you comparing? 

Edit: I just replied to a post nearly 2 years old. disregard! >.>

The player doesn't change anything about the source file, so you'll notice no difference there. AAC played through the default music player will sound the same as when played through the Onkyo player.

If you're comparing FLAC files to AAC, there should be a better contrast. You'll need to transfer your lossless files through iTunes to the device, as FLAC won't transfer to the iDevice natively. 

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #311 of 855
Hello! HibyMusic 2.0.0 for iOS version is coming!

Perhaps some of you are not familiar with this App... Here is a brief introduction to HibyMusic.

Hiby Music Player is a free lossless HiFi audio player which is designed for audiophile and music fans. Users may play DSD files from net driver directly with native DSD support. It supports the main lossless audio formats and CUE sheets. Moreover, external USB DAC is supported with DXD/DoP output in Vesion 2.0.0. 

What’s new for 2.2.0?

1.Added DoP and SRC feature

2.Import music via WiFi supported

3.Lyrics supported

4.DSP plugin supported

5.Bugs fixes

DoP output has been added in this update:

Please download/update by searching “HibyMusic” on App Store, or clicking this link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hai-bei-yin-le/id1048838844?l=zh&mt=1&app=music

Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Please email your comments/questions to bugs@hiby.cd. Thanks!

Anybody else give this a try? I've been slowly uploading my collection to Baidu cloud to stream back through this app. While there is a bit of latency when selecting the track and playback begins, it sounds *really* good.

I mostly use Spotify extreme as my phone is only 16GB. I had uploaded my entire iTunes collection to Google Play Music as well, but the 320kbps MP3's my files were converted to did not sound great (especially after adding a USB DAC to my setup). Hibymusic thus far is impressing me...a few niggles aside, it is allowing me to stream my collection with no loss of fidelity as I can discern.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #312 of 855
Anybody else give this a try? I've been slowly uploading my collection to Baidu cloud to stream back through this app. While there is a bit of latency when selecting the track and playback begins, it sounds *really* good.

I mostly use Spotify extreme as my phone is only 16GB. I had uploaded my entire iTunes collection to Google Play Music as well, but the 320kbps MP3's my files were converted to did not sound great (especially after adding a USB DAC to my setup). Hibymusic thus far is impressing me...a few niggles aside, it is allowing me to stream my collection with no loss of fidelity as I can discern.

I have not tried it, but streaming delays are a nonstarter for me. I can barely stand it when my older phone has delays processing really large FLAC files. New phone performs much faster.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #313 of 855
On pure sound alone, NePLAYER. Not the best user interface (that would be either KaiserTone or iAudiogate) and I cannot speak about DSD as my highest resolution files are 192/24. With those caveats, NePLAYER has a great balance across the tonal spectrum with the best detail retrieval to my electrostats.

I hate to equivocate but one thing I have learned on my audio journey is it is all about synergy. What is great with my iPod Touch, Mojo and KSE may not be best with another set up.

Thanks.

I downloaded the free version (Lite) yesterday and it looks good. Can't say if I prefer it over CanOpener (my default iOS music player), but it does offer something different.

BTW, do you use NePlayer's up-sampling function? Like you, I pair my Mojo with KSE1500. I know Mojo is designed to handle interpolation things for redbook tracks using Rob Watt's magical recipe, but some (specifically HQPlayer creator) also state that Mojo works at its best at the highest sample rate.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #314 of 855

Thanks.

I downloaded the free version (Lite) yesterday and it looks good. Can't say if I prefer it over CanOpener (my default iOS music player), but it does offer something different.

BTW, do you use NePlayer's up-sampling function? Like you, I pair my Mojo with KSE1500. I know Mojo is designed to handle interpolation things for redbook tracks using Rob Watt's magical recipe, but some (specifically HQPlayer creator) also state that Mojo works at its best at the highest sample rate.

I never use the upsampling function. Rob Watts has time and again cautioned against doing so. My goal is bit perfect and let Rob's magic receipt in the Mojo do its work.

I would love another opinion so let me know what you think of CanOpener versus NePLAYER from another iPod Touch-Mojo-KSE1500 owner. My God to me the end of the sonic journey for a portable rig.

I already bought both applications so switching over my entire library only takes me 3 hours and with our set up it is about the only thing we can change.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #315 of 855
So I really do like NePLAYER but as clear as it sounds, it distorts a bit at high volume and it lacks the warmth and meat of iaudiogate while they both retain a lot of detail, Iaudiogate is a much more pleasant listening experience. That being said, if you are trying to add on an amplifier, I understand why you might prefer the uncolored clarity of ne or kaisertone but I believe that Iaudiogate sounds perfect. I just hate how buggy it is now with the new ios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back