Audiophile iOS audio player
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #16 of 855
A "night and day" difference? Prob not, however, a couple things to consider:
- what headphones/IEMs are you using? A more revealing set will help convey those details/differences.
- what bitrate are your music files? iPhone player is capped at Apple lossless 96kHz 16bit files. Onkyo will play hi resolution FLAC and DSD ($9.99 upgrade i believe) BUT You would need an external DAC to actually play these files natively.
- are you staying on-the-go and portable? Or would you be sitting and listening intently for stretches?
Personally, I think iPhones have very nice heaphone outs, but I really appreciate the Onkyo app after hooking up to an external DAC and playing Hi Rez files for those "sit and listen" sessions.
Here's to the HeadFi journey :beers:

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 855
Oh, another appreciation for the Onkyo app: In the car! If you havent tricked out your system that is :wink:
This is where I find EQ useful, and I like being able to save EQ profiles for each car. I think your standard/factory car audio definitely benefits from the nice EQ in the onkyo app vs the standard Bass and Treble knobs.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 855
Listening from my re-600 iems. The stuff i'm listening to are alac or MP3 at 320kbps. Not thinking of going the external dac and/ or amp route before getting a Fiio X5 or DX90. So I guess there's really not much diff with this setup right? The difference I hear are just a teensy bit of added depth and extended treble but have to listen closely to hear them.

But I'm staying OTG as I listen to these when I commute so less stuff to bring is better for me. Don't really have much time to actually sit down and just listen. There will come that time, I hope. Lol.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 855
This is only true for the headphone jack. One needs to bypass the internal DAC of the iDevice, which is limited to 16 bit 44.1kHz. Use an external DAC and the iDevice will pass the high res files right through!

Here is an article that might help:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2064868/high-fidelity-how-to-get-lossless-and-high-res-audio-on-ios-devices.html

There are some newer DACs out specifically for iDevices now:
NuForce iDo
Beyer Dynamic a200p (Astell n Kern rebrand)
Vmoda Vamp Verza

Just to name a few. Enjoy those hi res files! :thumbsup:

Hi

I believe you know a fair bit about this app so I'd like to pose a couple of questions to you if I may:
1. I use a Mac. How do I actually put FLAC files into the iPhone?
2. Having put FLAC files onto the iPhone, when I do my routine sync and backup, are these FLAC files backed up again? If so then I'd be duplicating the storage of these files on my Mac.
3. This is not really a question but I think you've answered it earlier. To confirm, one only gets high Rez playback if one connects the Lightning out to a compatible DAC amp?

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #20 of 855
Hi

I believe you know a fair bit about this app so I'd like to pose a couple of questions to you if I may:
1. I use a Mac. How do I actually put FLAC files into the iPhone?
2. Having put FLAC files onto the iPhone, when I do my routine sync and backup, are these FLAC files backed up again? If so then I'd be duplicating the storage of these files on my Mac.
3. This is not really a question but I think you've answered it earlier. To confirm, one only gets high Rez playback if one connects the Lightning out to a compatible DAC amp?

Thanks.

1. Apple doesn't support FLAC, you need to use their own lossless format which is called "ALAC". I use DBpoweramp to convert my music into ALAC. (There's not really any audible difference between 320kbps and FLAC besides mastering quality of the original recording, so you may as well just convert any flac into 320kbps to save space on your iDevice.)
2. Once it's in that format, yes it will always sync and be backed up with the rest of your files, not on your iTunes account, but on your hard drive. Third party music is stored differently. There will only be one copy in the original location and one on your iDevice.
3. Actually, after rereading, technically, no. You can still play ALAC and 320kbps via the headphone out, adding an amplifier & DAC are just adding an amplifier and DAC, the only affect on the 'software' of the iDevice is that they take away access to the volume setting. (So that you don't double amp it)

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #21 of 855
Hapster is right :thumbsup:
However, if you do want to transfer FLAC to iPhone, you would plug in to iTunes normally, BUT you have to go into Apps section and find the Onkyo app. Then its simply drag and drop to the Onkyo app.
Hope that helps! The onkyo app has a tutorial in the settings of the app as well.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #23 of 855
3. Actually, after rereading, technically, no. You can still play ALAC and 320kbps via the headphone out, adding an amplifier & DAC are just adding an amplifier and DAC, the only affect on the 'software' of the iDevice is that they take away access to the volume setting. (So that you don't double amp it)

Playing through the headphone out though still correct? 
So how does that bypass the internal DAC of the apple device? (iphone/ipod)
Regarding playing FLAC on the newer items that don't support audio on the lightning connector.

If you then have to add amp/DAC you're just trying to correct for the lacking internal components? 

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 855
Playing through the headphone out though still correct? 
So how does that bypass the internal DAC of the apple device? (iphone/ipod)
Regarding playing FLAC on the newer items that don't support audio on the lightning connector.

If you then have to add amp/DAC you're just trying to correct for the lacking internal components? 

When you have an amp/dac connected, you use the headphone out on the amp/dac.

I don't really understand what you're trying to ask.

It sounds like you're asking if the amp/dac have anything to do with the ability of the iOS device to play FLAC. They do not. iOS doesn't support FLAC, period.

So yes, the only use for an amp/dac is to override the internals in the iOS device.

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 855
When you have an amp/dac connected, you use the headphone out on the amp/dac.

I don't really understand what you're trying to ask.

It sounds like you're asking if the amp/dac have anything to do with the ability of the iOS device to play FLAC. They do not. iOS doesn't support FLAC, period.

So yes, the only use for an amp/dac is to override the internals in the iOS device.

1, ok so connect at headphone jack, not 30 pin.

2, I understand amp/dac don't have anything to do with the playing of FLAC files. 

What I'm asking is, couldn't you play through the 30-pin line out instead of the headphone jack which is powered?

My understanding of the goal here is to go around the internal DAC of the device and use a better quality unit. 

I guess by this method of using the headphone out jack, it helps since the newer apple devices no longer offer the line out feature on the charging connector.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #26 of 855
1, ok so connect at headphone jack, not 30 pin.

2, I understand amp/dac don't have anything to do with the playing of FLAC files. 

What I'm asking is, couldn't you play through the 30-pin line out instead of the headphone jack which is powered?

My understanding of the goal here is to go around the internal DAC of the device and use a better quality unit. 

I guess by this method of using the headphone out jack, it helps since the newer apple devices no longer offer the line out feature on the charging connector.

Oh I see.

Connecting at the 30-pin connector will allow to you override the internal amp of the device, unfortunately 30-pin apple devices don't allow you to override their DAC. Only the newer ligthning connector devices allow that.

Connecting at the headphone jack will just be amping a mediocre signal.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 855
  You can over ride the DAC with lightning connector? 
My iphone 5 does not have any audio signal output on the Lightning connector. 
How do you get audio out on Lightning connector? 

Well, you need a device with its own dac/amp to do that such as a music dock or a portable amplifier/dac combo. If it connects via the lightning out on the phone, then it needs to have its own components.

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #29 of 855

Well, you need a device with its own dac/amp to do that such as a music dock or a portable amplifier/dac combo. If it connects via the lightning out on the phone, then it needs to have its own components.

That's what I'm trying to understand from you.  How do you get audio on the lightning connector? 

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #30 of 855
Does this help explain a bit?

So, a lightning cck (Camera Connector Kit) has a female usb on other end. Using the Onkyo app, for example, once hooked up to an external DAC, the audio from iPhone/iPad automatically passes through via lightning cck. Plug headphones into the external DAC and enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back