Audiophile iOS audio player
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #767 of 855
I tried personally more than one time the DragonFly Red, Oppo HA-2SE and the Chord Mojo with the iPhone + Campfire Andromeda and I always returned back them.
Really: I can barely notice that the sound is better. For me these DACs are just not worth – not just because of the price, but also because this solutions was for me not portable enough.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #769 of 855
With which tracks did you try them?
"...barely notice that the sound is better". Better than what?
Just asking.

I missed your recommended DAC, BTW.

I tried just many FLAC track – also 24bit and 48kHz – in "bit perfect". I don't remember which. But I spend many, many hours to compare every DAC which I bought by myself with the standard iPhone DAC. Again, I "barely" noticed a sound difference between the DACs and the iPhone (...). Between the Mojo, DFR, Cozoy Pro and the Oppo, the Mojo is of course the best. Than the Oppo and the DFR. The Cozoy sounds worst than the iPhone DAC.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #770 of 855
I tried just many FLAC track – also 24bit and 48kHz – in "bit perfect". I don't remember which. But I spend many, many hours to compare every DAC which I bought by myself with the standard iPhone DAC. Again, I "barely" noticed a sound difference between the DACs and the iPhone (...). Between the Mojo, DFR, Cozoy Pro and the Oppo, the Mojo is of course the best. Than the Oppo and the DFR. The Cozoy sounds worst than the iPhone DAC.

Uhmmm...there was something wrong in the listening chain for sure, mate.
I'll limit to Mojo.
I'm prone thinking low impedance IEM are not a match made in heaven (euphemism) with it.
You might wish to give this a good read:
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-chord-mojo-24-bit
There is no chance whatsoever that your or my iPhone's DAC will reach that scores. Try your Mojo with medium-flagship full size cans equal or north of 32 Ohm and capable of withstanding at least 400mW of continuous power.
48KHz, just to mention, is NOT a significant bench, as well

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #774 of 855
Hoping to compare the Mojo soon with the Idsd micro black label out of neutron to see which dac I want more.

Interested in your findings.

EDIT:
You would like to give this a look

EDIT 2:
In the end, using the Mojo review here this would sum up the whole thing in the "Line-Out" section (Mojo is always in line out mode BTW, it has a shortcut to start at 3V, but it is just a shortcut).

Mojo:+6dBV (Mojo at ~90% volume) in Green and +18dBV (Mojo at 100% volume, which is practically a Class A per Rob Watts comments) in Red. iFi micro iDSD BL comes in the far right in Black (Standard - Direct setting thus 2V)

Noise Level, dB(A): -116.2; -120.9; -96.6
Dynamic Range, dB(A): 115.9; 120.6; -96.6
THD, (%): 0.0004; 0.0002; 0.0092
IMD + Noise, (%): 0.0008; 0.0007; -0.011
Stereo Crosstalk, (dB): -115.4; -119.5; -88.4

I've no doubts about the best performer.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #776 of 855
My setup: Iphone X + Dragonfly Red. I've just installed VOX and Onkyo players to test them out. I've put in my iphone's itune library 24 bit files with various sampling rates (including 44.1 khz, 48 khz, 88.2 khz and 96 khz). I haven't paid for premium versions of VOX and Onkyo players. When I play a 24 bit file with itunes, vox or onkyo dragonfly red lights up according to the sampling rate; amber for 88.2 khz file and magenta for 96khz etc. Doesn't this mean that the Iphone is feeding the DFR the files in their true sampling rates? How can this be even though I haven't paid for the premium versions?

In the VOX player it is indicated that the track being played is "ALAC 88.2kHz 24 bit" while DFR lights up amber... Shouldn't this player only play hi-res files in their native properties after I upgrade to premium?

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #777 of 855
Not exactly related to this thread but I created a thread and got no replies. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the new ipad 2018 and can tell me whether the headphone jack is as good as the pro 2017 models. They aren't available in my country yet so I couldn't really test them at any store yet.

May 3, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #779 of 855
Hi,

my colleague who has iPhone is curious, is it possible to use lightning connector headphones with built-in DAC (for instance,
Pioneer RayZ Plus)
and enjoy great sound, using some third-party player with FLAC support (we don't like the idea to convert FLAC to ALAC each time)?
Could someone, who already uses such set, share their impression about the sound quality in comparison with Android musical smartphones, players, etc.?
Thanks.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #780 of 855
so which iphone are you referring to? because all the iphones with the adaptor should sound the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back