Audiophile headphones for turntable
Mar 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tony5787

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm recently getting into vinyl and I'm looking to get a pair of headphones n the $100-150 range. Currently I'm looking at The SRH440's, SRH750DJ's, and Sennheiser HD595. I'm looking at comfort and how portable the headphones are (I want something that is small enough to walk around with). Sound quality is the main factor though. I was thinking about a new set of speakers but since most of the music I listen to is more experimental, I think my family would appreciate it more if I had a pair of headphones instead
beyersmile.png
  I also like the fact that with the SRH750DJ's you can easily wear one headphone at a time but I hear they aren't that comfortable. Is this true?

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 8
You should consider the Creative Aurvana Live!'s (Same headphone as Denon D1001) Only $70 on amazon right now.

If you are getting into vinyl, what are you going to be amping the headphones with?
Vintage receiver?
If thats the case, you should consider a used pair of Senn HD580's

This my list to recommend to newbies. Keep in mind that I've never heard most of these.
They are just the popular choices for headphones in the ~$100 range.

(Closed/Semi-Portable)
Audio Technica ATH-M50.
Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live!
Shure 440 or 840.
Sony MDR-V6

(Open)
Audio Technica AD700
Grado SR60/SR80
Alessandro MS-1
Maybe the new lowend open senns hd558/598

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 8
You could look under the Head Gear section and determine if You'd like over, on or in the ear phone's. There are some review's that might help You out in sound quality and comfort. I'd save up more while I was doing My research if You can and narrow it down. There are plenty check out, Sennheiser's, Audiotechnica, AKG's to name a few. Happy Hunting. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 8
You could look at HeadPhone amp's tube (Shiit Lyr) not joking or solid state amp, do Your research and read up on as many review's as You can and ask the Senior member's when Your not sure that's why they do this. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Both of them are completely different in every way. The K240 Studio is meant as a studio monitor and has a balanced, close to neutral sound, but does have a very slight bass boost. Strangely the headphone is more bassy out of the box and gets reduced somehow after a week or so (to my ears, but maybe not. Felt like it). The K240 has some good mids, a decent amount of bass, but slightly rolled off highs. The Sextett seems to have more treble, but it's a pain to drive.

The 750DJ based on my first 15 minutes seems to be very bass heavy. My pair straight out of the box was too bass heavy and had very harsh treble. I disliked them so much that I didn't even give them a chance to burn in. Many people here love them, but not me. I prefer a more neutral signature.

If you are interested in the K240 MK II, I'd suggest the K240 Studio instead. It costs less and doesn't include the two cables and two sets of earpads. If you can get the K240 MK II for only $20-$30 more, it may be worth it. I think the Studio version has a user replaceable cable. Not sure if the MKII does.

The K240 Studio is one of my favorite headphones up there with the DJ100, SRH-840 and a few others. It's even quite good for gaming for it's cheap price. I got mine as an open box for just $70!

The Beyer Dynamic velour and pleather pads also fit them! Right now I'm using the Beyer Dynamic velour pads on mine and replaced the default foam covering the driver. It does help the mids a bit.

BTW the K240 Studio really needs an amp. You can drive it from an Ipod Touch, but the sound is only "good" and you have to max it. I don't suggest it without an amp. The E5 is enough to make it worth getting though. It's definitely not as power hungry as the K601/K702.
Quote:
Have any of you had experience with the AKG K240MKII or any AKG headphones? How would these compare to the SRH750DJ's?

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 8
JVC HA-S 500. Check this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes.

They can be changed to desired sound signature by replacing the earpads - see thread for details. But beware - these have resoltution rivaling Stax and have no problem whatsover with clearly identyfiying SQ differences in phono cartridges costing >> 1K$. If you are new to analog and your equipment is relatively modest or your tt is not set up properly, they may well prove to be too revealing of the equipment flaws.

They definitely do not sound good out of the box. Burn in is a must. But once burnt in and with the pads that match your needs, they can not be beat for "many many severals"   times of their cost. 

As always, enjoy your music !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back