Audio Technicia ATH-SQ5
Jan 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 62
Yo,

Just got one red unit of this stunner today afternoon... now burning it in with it's equally new partner Go-Vibe Petite amp (with DAC).

Initial impressions: the SQ is as sweet as its looks. The bass is aplenty and packs quite some punches, and its synergy with the amp just made me surrender my payment happily to Jaben.

I find it rather comfortable and really dig those squarish ear cups. It accomodates my spectacles, no problem. It filled my need of a pair of closed can. At resistance of 40 ohms and with a sensitivity of 102db/mW, it is rather easily driven well.

Hope it will improve with further burn in.

Cheers.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 62
Id also be really interested in a more detailed review. I've been looking at getting the ES7's but am reading quite a few -ve reviews as well as +ve.

Could you also please give the dimensions of the ear cups? Cheers!!

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you have given them a good listen to could you give us a more detailed review on them.

Many thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id also be really interested in a more detailed review. I've been looking at getting the ES7's but am reading quite a few -ve reviews as well as +ve.

Could you also please give the dimensions of the ear cups? Cheers!!

Though I am not good at describing sound, I'll try.

The dimensions of the actual oval shape holes are approx 2.5 inches by 1.25 inch at the middle widest points.

About the SQ at this point in time, I would just say it is improving and bass really shines. I am enjoying the power and bass depth and slam while listening to tracks from Celine Dion's The Power of Love album CD in a my Panasonic PCDP via a Jaben Pure Silver IC through Go-Vibe Petite+DAC Amp at 10 o'clock position.

I feel this Cans brings out details clear enough without any veil. I will try to listen to a ES7 and maybe even ES-W9 when I next go to Jaben (wonder if they have any when I go ???). The comfort is good enough for me though the tight fit to make it closed (as it is a dynamic can) can make listening it for a while a sweaty affair when not in a cooling or air-con environment. Time to time I would have to remove it to air my warm ears. Very slight sound leakage when playing loud, but it might just be that the wearing position has not been perfectly executed yet... still making slight adjustments to get the sweetest spot.

Un-amped from my PCDP, details are still clear enough but the bassy portions of the music seems not as punchy or impactful as compared to when I had it from the amp.

IMHO, this cans got much better synergy with the Go-Vibe than Cute Beyond or C&C XO though they can drive more demanding cans. Will try more genres and music/songs.

That's all for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 62
Yeh, a comparison with ES7's would be great. No where near me sells them.

SQ is a big factor obviously, but you do have to walk the streets with them. Hmmm. Decisions!

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 62
I went ahead yesterday and purchased a black pair from Audiocubes.

The fact that they are portable and have a great design made me buy yet another headphone.

I should get them near the end of the week and will keep you updated once I get a chance to assess them.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #10 of 62
Wow, these look great! The ES7's are on top of my buying list at the moment, but I like this design a lot more. Very interested to hear your thoughts on the SQ anadin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 62
Some pics of the cans can be found here as taken by me:

Picasa Web Albums - Tristram

The cans sound very nicely with the new Go Vibes Petite+DAC amp. Only little complaint is the plastic sounds when sometimes we move our heads, when I try to tighten the cans to reduce the moving sounds, the clamping is too much to take.

Well, I think of it as a good complement to my MS1 as the music presentation is different, and the longish ear cups just fits my ears fine, much better than my other cans, even the DT990.
biggrin.gif

Sorry folks, I did not get chance to try the other Audio Technicas as Wilson was not in when I did go to Jaben the other day, and already the shop was packed with many young men buying their X3is or Rubies and Go-Vibe amps or the other stuff there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 62
Sound good so far. I saw these in NY at Audiocubes store and thought the sound quality was amazing.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back