Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,966 of 2,205
Soundstage is larger than HP200 in all directions. Bass quantity and quality is leagues better when you have a good seal. Imaging is about the same as HP200. HP200s are noticeably more forward due to how the driver is dampened (they could throw the same driver in a closed headphone, and it would sound 95% the same - they really dampened the driver well, almost too well for an open headphone). I don't compare sound signatures since I equalize all of my headphones. I can't compare to a stock AD2000 because I don't have a stock AD series headphone frame to throw AD2000 drivers in. I'd be too lazy to do the work for the sake of listening to something that I would never listen to anyway. Well, I guess I can say this. The GBH sounds like an AD2000 with a closed headphones' bass without the soundstage drawbacks of a closed headphone. People say that open headphones (that aren't planars) can't have bass? Think again.

Versus the K7XX, the GBH has much better bass performance, and due to how the driver is designed, it will never have the bass performance of the HP200 and GBH regardless of how I mod them. That's about it though. Everything else is basically the same, minus a wider stage on the GBH and better imaging due to the fact that the low frequencies are apart of the picture. Your typical open headphones are airy because bass is attenuated to the point that they barely influence imaging. Remember that I don't compare sound signatures. The use of equalizers make comparing sound signatures pretty irrelevant, imo. I have never heard a headphone that sounds good without equalizing them (or a headphone that doesn't sound better by equalizing), so I really don't care about out of the box sound. There's always some peak or dip in the FR that bugs me, so I gotta iron them out. Transparency-wise, they're all basically the same. Also, keep in mind that these impressions are with the HP200s having the beyer gel pads, so my impressions won't match that of a stock HP200.

For anyone wanting to attempt this, make sure you have a pair of earpads that are at least 1in thick and the bottom of the pads are perpendicular to the baffle. If not, you won't get good bass. I guess the Brainwavs HM-2 pads pleather could work, but you gotta stretch them a bit since they're oval.

Oh, and the AD2000 drivers are the easiest to drive, with the HP200s behind them, and K7XX behind those.

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #1,967 of 2,205
Jan 25, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,968 of 2,205
Owner of an AD1000x for a year now. After this long and having moved on to other headphones, I can confidently say that I regret choosing to buy it instead of other cans of the same price range.

I simply did not find it to provide a coherent listening experience when I wanted to focus on enjoying the music. It was great as a multi-purpose headphone for gaming and watching videos but ended up being disappointing when I found myself enjoying my pair of IEM's (worth less than half the price too) way more.

I would suggest trying out cans like the HD600/HD598 or the DT880 if you're set on getting an open-backed headphone.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,969 of 2,205
  Please kindly give me some idea, how the sound of AD1000X and AD2000X compare to W1000 or W5000 or ESW11LTD?

I love these my close can, but looking for another phones that has more fun factor (with still have good mid and treble)

Thanks

You may want to wait for reviews of the R70X to start coming in. They could pair nicely with WA7. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,971 of 2,205

AD2000 Left, AD900 Middle, HP200 Right

Can you or someone else tell whether the HP200 drivers are actually the same as the drivers from any of the ATH AD series headphones?  Also, can anyone point me to a post that describes the differences between the various ATH AD series drivers?  I think I read such a post, but I cannot find it any more.  Thanks!

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,972 of 2,205
As you can see, they are different drivers, and they all sound different. The HP200 uses a unique driver housing, a different voice coil and diaphragm membrane with ample dampening. The black felt material (dampening) is less restrictive than the white felt material on the HP200, so sense of space is smaller on the HP200 driver because of that. 

Basically, AD1000 and up will look like the driver on the left. It uses a metal housing with a different, thinner diaphragm membrane, more powerful magnets, and a redesigned grill with more holes. The AD1000X and up are basically the same as the non-x versions, but the soldering terminal is detached from the driver unit. It is reminiscent of your typical HD600 series driver.

The AD900/x and below all look basically like the ad900 driver pictured. The AD900X uses the same diaphragm membrane material and grill as the AD1000/x series and up, but is glued in a plastic enclosure instead of metal. AD900X and below have angled baffles to physically angle the driver, whereas AD900 and above have a baffle that elevates the earpads instead.

AD1000X and above have a different baffle design with higher quality dampening and a turbine look, whereas the models below it have the typical AD series baffle design with a more straight look.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,974 of 2,205
  Owner of an AD1000x for a year now. After this long and having moved on to other headphones, I can confidently say that I regret choosing to buy it instead of other cans of the same price range.

I simply did not find it to provide a coherent listening experience when I wanted to focus on enjoying the music. It was great as a multi-purpose headphone for gaming and watching videos but ended up being disappointing when I found myself enjoying my pair of IEM's (worth less than half the price too) way more.

I would suggest trying out cans like the HD600/HD598 or the DT880 if you're set on getting an open-backed headphone.

I owned the HD598 and tried the Sony MA900... I preferred the AD1000's comfort and soundstage. Never owned the 3 at the same time so I don't know for sure which one is better. But it seems the AD1000 has always gotten bad reviews.

I'm looking into the AD2000 as well, but it's gonna take a long time of saving.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,975 of 2,205
Gonna buy these soon on ( ~8months later) :D

Was too law to scroll through the whole thread, so I would like to ask: Do you reccoment using a soundcard to drive this, or getting a usbdac+amp? If yes, any recommendations? Was looking at Fiio E12 or the Fiio X3k as an amp or a USB DAC/amp.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #1,976 of 2,205
Gonna buy these soon on ( ~8months later) :D

Was too law to scroll through the whole thread, so I would like to ask: Do you reccoment using a soundcard to drive this, or getting a usbdac+amp? If yes, any recommendations? Was looking at Fiio E12 or the Fiio X3k as an amp or a USB DAC/amp.

They would definitely sound much better through a usb dac and amp. The X3K + E12 combo are a good choice, though X5 + E12 would have greater synergy if your budget allows for it. Or you could get an Audioquest Dragonfly usb dac for a cheaper, more compact solution, as it sounds quite good with the AD headphones as well.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #1,977 of 2,205
They would definitely sound much better through a usb dac and amp. The X3K + E12 combo are a good choice, though X5 + E12 would have greater synergy if your budget allows for it. Or you could get an Audioquest Dragonfly usb dac for a cheaper, more compact solution, as it sounds quite good with the AD headphones as well.

Is the Fiio X3K just a USB DAC or is it a USB/DAC combo? I chose those 2 because they can be used portably as well.

I will look into the Audioquest dragonfly to see of it will suit my needs.( again)

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,978 of 2,205
Is the Fiio X3K just a USB DAC or is it a USB/DAC combo? I chose those 2 because they can be used portably as well.

I will look into the Audioquest dragonfly to see of it will suit my needs.( again)

The X3K is a DAP (Digital Audio Player). It contains a DAC+amp, and you can either use it on its own or as a USB DAC+Amp connected to a computer. While the amp inside X3K is good enough, connecting the X3K to an external amp like E12 will provide more power and better sound quality for AD headphones.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back