Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Apr 25, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,981 of 2,205
  The AD700X and AD900X models are analytics ???
Forgiving sound with bad recording ( or however not perfect ) ?

I'm pretty sure AD700x is rather forgiving, then AD900x will be less forgiving.

If you want really hi-fi and unforgiving sound, K612 is most likely a better choice, and especially K702.
Then there's HD558 which is a pinch less analytical than K612 and more natural-sounding with vocals and acoustic instruments.
Then HD600 is a step up in sound over 558, also very natural-sounding.

May 31, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,984 of 2,205
Can anybody compare amount of bass in ad500x and bayerdynamic dt990pro and sennheiser momentum on ear?

DT990pro > Momentum on-ear > AD500
I imagine AD500x will not be much different from AD500, and it having as much or more than the Momentum on-ear is extremely unlikely.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #1,985 of 2,205
BUMP

I'm finally getting familiar with the cool-looking little ES88 (now discontinued apparently).  I thought that the cups would be metal.  Well, those metal-looking legs connecting the cups to the headband are indeed metal, but the cups are disappointingly cheap plastic.  The baffle on the driver's face is very rigid, that part is probably metal like on a number of AT models.  It is comfortable, and I cannot get a proper seal, but whether I get a good seal or not does not affect the sound terribly as usually happens with closed-backs.  Bass doesn't go AWOL as a result of a little bit less than perfect seal, either.  I notice that the cups do not extend - instead, the cups swivel vertically to accommodate different size heads.  It is mildly snug on my moderately large head.  I bent the headband for a slightly tighter fit, and now I can use it as one of those sport headphones where the headband "floats" behind the head.  Someone with a small head may need to bend the headband into more of an egg shape for best fit.  AT doesn't avoid using metal backbones in their headbands, unlike some companies, so bending the headband won't hurt, or I would have broken mine already.
On a side note, this feels like what the iGrado headband should have been, relatively.
I like the sound, but it seems they didn't get the internal dampening quite right, it reminds me of how T50RP would sound at times when I used to experiment with one.  "Overdamped" as another fellow somewhere put it6 may be the right descriptor.  Otherwise, I like the sound, decent clarity and control throughout the spectrum, nice for the price.  FR is like M50(x)'s when the stock pads are replaced with Brainwavz pads or HD280 pads: flat-ish mids and treble, boosted bass.  The flat cable is practically a wet noodle.  They won't be too hard to recable with some Mogami 2893 later.

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,986 of 2,205
AD700x and AD900x.  Both were congested and grainy out of the box.  As in, "these are horrible and how can anyone listen to these" congested and grainy.  I was listening to a live recorded concert with a loud crowd, and 30-60 minutes of that mentally wore me out since my brain had to cancel out the grain and noise to pick out the notes.  I heard sounds from the crowd I don't remember hearing before, but it was like the gain on an amp was turned up and boosting detail but also boosting grain and noise.  I thought, "This sucks for music, but this must be why gamers love these.  I can hear everything."

I let them burn for three days.  They opened up and got smoother.  The 900 has a smoother signature.  With some eq, the 700 sound very close to the 900.  People sometimes say the 700 has no bass, but it's not like the 900's bass volume is anything great.  I haven't seen a comparison between the AD700 and AD700x other than some quick comments like saying the old AD700 has more air.  Comments like that make me wonder if the AD700x did get a bass tweak. 

They're airy, and the sound is diffused, which means the imaging sucks.  Which makes me surprised they are so popular with fps gamers.  With various other headphones, if you're watching a movie, and someone shoots an arrow or something, the sound comes from right there.  With the 700 and 900, the sound comes from "somewhere around there."  

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #1,995 of 2,205
Not that big. It's more of a sound signature difference than a sound quality difference, though the AD2x does sound a bit more refined throughout. The AD9x is more comfortable, on the other hand, due to the plushier earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back