Audio Technica updates their open headphones "AD" Series: AD2000x, AD1000x, AD900x, AD700x and AD500x
Jan 21, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,951 of 2,205
  Well guys, I bought the HP200 to throw my AD2000 drivers in. I broke my headphones (I dropped them, and the right channel headband wing area snapped clean off), and after going back and forth with Audio-Technica Service/Repair, they're not willing to mail me the parts to fix them. So, I'm basically forced to reincarnate them
smily_headphones1.gif
I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of AD500Xs and swapping everything around, but it's time for a change of pace, and the HP200s look to be less prone to breaking when you drop them, haha.

Hopefully, it will be a pretty easy mod. I'm hoping that I just need to swap the drivers, throw on my Beyer Gel earpads, slap on some tape here and there, take off the hideous badges on the grills, and, if required, bend the headband a bit for a better seal, which all in all will be a quick 30min job. We shall see
very_evil_smiley.gif

Very curious how this works out.  Make sure to get a bunch of pictures of the process. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,953 of 2,205

Very curious how this works out.  Make sure to get a bunch of pictures of the process. 

Will do! I just hope that the drivers aren't glued to the baffles because if they are, it's going to take more time rigging the ad2000 drivers on there.

Why aren't they willing to send the parts? What did they say?

Well, first I contacted them to see if they actually had the parts needed to repair them, and they told me that they did. So, I shipped them out for service. When they were delivered to them, they reminded me that they don't work on modified headphones. I sent the same 'phones to them a couple years ago for a driver replacement, and they did a one-time only repair on them because they were modified. Afterwards they said they wouldn't service them again. I would have done it myself, but they sent me about 3 bad drivers, so I shipped them up there with the hopes that I would get a properly functioning one. Fast forward to now, they tell me that they don't have the parts to repair them, and that from the looks of it, that they are beyond repair, which is a lie. They also say that they can't sell the parts needed for me to repair them, and recommend that I don't purchase anymore parts for my headphones (although I would still be charged the price of the parts+labor if they actually serviced them). I replied again, but they won't answer my e-mails now, so I guess they don't want to deal with me. Keep in mind that I wasn't rude in any of my replies. Maybe I'll call them later on today to see what's up.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #1,954 of 2,205
  Will do! I just hope that the drivers aren't glued to the baffles because if they are, it's going to take more time rigging the ad2000 drivers on there.

Well, first I contacted them to see if they actually had the parts needed to repair them, and they told me that they did. So, I shipped them out for service. When they were delivered to them, they reminded me that they don't work on modified headphones. I sent the same 'phones to them a couple years ago for a driver replacement, and they did a one-time only repair on them because they were modified. Afterwards they said they wouldn't service them again. I would have done it myself, but they sent me about 3 bad drivers, so I shipped them up there with the hopes that I would get a properly functioning one. Fast forward to now, they tell me that they don't have the parts to repair them, and that from the looks of it, that they are beyond repair, which is a lie. They also say that they can't sell the parts needed for me to repair them, and recommend that I don't purchase anymore parts for my headphones (although I would still be charged the price of the parts+labor if they actually serviced them). I replied again, but they won't answer my e-mails now, so I guess they don't want to deal with me. Keep in mind that I wasn't rude in any of my replies. Maybe I'll call them later on today to see what's up.

AT is really hit or miss. My first couple of experiences were really good. But lately its been kind of iffy. E-mail with them now is non-existent. The last time I called I got exactly what I needed and the guy was joking with me. 

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,955 of 2,205
Please kindly give me some idea, how the sound of AD1000X and AD2000X compare to W1000 or W5000 or ESW11LTD?

I love these my close can, but looking for another phones that has more fun factor (with still have good mid and treble)

Thanks

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,956 of 2,205
  Please kindly give me some idea, how the sound of AD1000X and AD2000X compare to W1000 or W5000 or ESW11LTD?

I love these my close can, but looking for another phones that has more fun factor (with still have good mid and treble)

Thanks

The AD2000X has more midbass than the W5000. Because of this I can't tell whether the AD2000X has better sub-bass extension because masked by outside noise leaking in or the midbass. As you know, the W5000's bass extension is nothing to write home about. The AD2000X has a upper-mid hump like the W5000 but it doesn't sound as strident/nasal.

For soundstage, the W5000 is wider, but like with most AT headphones it's a bit 2-dimensional. The AD2000X has a more accurate sense of space.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,957 of 2,205
I tried rotating the pads.  To my surprise, it was a lot less comfortable than at factory position.  While the ear has more vertical space, a more sensitive part of it, or just more of the ear touches the driver which causes discomfort that after 30 minutes is unbearable.

After more prolonged listening with the pads in the factory position it is pretty OK.  The ear goes under the pad, it does touch the driver in one place but the pressure is so low that I can have the phones on for over 2 hours without noticing it much.

I will give it more time and maybe even avoid getting the AD900x pads that I was planning on buying.

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,958 of 2,205
Anyway, it looks like the SoundMagic HP200 will perfectly fit some AD2000 drivers and my beyer gel earpads. Maybe it's time for me to make another headphone
biggrin.gif

Folex noted that the Soundmagic HP200 has 53mm drivers. Does anyone know whether they are actually the same drivers as in some of the Audio Technica AD-series headphones?  I have the HP200 and the AD700, and they sound rather different to me. The HP200 has a more V-shaped response than the AD700.  Also, Trae, yes, the HP200 went for $149 on Massdrop.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,959 of 2,205
Originally Posted by viralcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The AD2000X has more midbass than the W5000. Because of this I can't tell whether the AD2000X has better sub-bass extension because masked by outside noise leaking in or the midbass. As you know, the W5000's bass extension is nothing to write home about. The AD2000X has a upper-mid hump like the W5000 but it doesn't sound as strident/nasal.

For soundstage, the W5000 is wider, but like with most AT headphones it's a bit 2-dimensional. The AD2000X has a more accurate sense of space.

Dear viralcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for this useful information, I want new phones that have same details level with W5000 and adding some more punch for contemporary jazz. I may try AD2000X if it has more sub-bass extension

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,960 of 2,205
  Folex noted that the Soundmagic HP200 has 53mm drivers. Does anyone know whether they are actually the same drivers as in some of the Audio Technica AD-series headphones?  I have the HP200 and the AD700, and they sound rather different to me. The HP200 has a more V-shaped response than the AD700.  Also, Trae, yes, the HP200 went for $149 on Massdrop.

Well, the HP200's drivers have a 20 ohm impedance, while A-T's AD lineup hover around 38-48 ohms, so this is probably their personally tuned 53mm driver. I'm getting them later on today, so I'll be able to compare them to the A-T drivers I have laying around.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,961 of 2,205
Drivers are really only a small part of the sound. In my mind distance from ear, pleather/velour and open/closed play a bigger roll then the driver. Below is my first AT mod. Pair of ad700 transplanted into one of my old headsets. They went from open/around ear to on-ear and pleather. The sound went from airy and bass-light to in your face and bassy. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,962 of 2,205
Well, got the HP200s in. I'm pretty impressed on how they sound with my beyer gel pads in. They compete with AKG's K7XX lineup, and I think I prefer them to the K7XXs I have. The bass is a bit slow, but I'll fix that
very_evil_smiley.gif
. The stock pads are mashed up looking like the foam isn't expanding. Good thing I couldn't care less about them. Driver-wise, they look really similar to my AD900 drivers (same magnet), but it has more restrictive white felt material on the backside. The AD900 drivers have less restrictive black felt material around the outer diameter of the unit, while the opening in the middle of the magnet has more restrictive white felt material, the same material used on the whole backside of the HP200's drivers.

I should have knocked on wood after I hoped that the drivers weren't glued...ugh. It's gonna take a while.

Oh, and the wiring they use is pretty good too. It's more substantial than the thin wires used in the AD series headphones, and a pair of wires go to each the signal and ground terminals.

I'll update with pics later. Edit: Saturday night.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,963 of 2,205

Well, the HP200's drivers have a 20 ohm impedance, while A-T's AD lineup hover around 38-48 ohms, so this is probably their personally tuned 53mm driver. I'm getting them later on today, so I'll be able to compare them to the A-T drivers I have laying around.

Trae: I look forward to your comparison!

Folex: Yes, I had a Sennheiser HD518 and an HD598 together for a while.  They have the same drivers, but they sound different.  (I no longer have the HD518.)

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,964 of 2,205

AD2000 Left, AD900 Middle, HP200 Right

Pair of wires to each terminal

Use an X-Acto knife when cutting the glue out.

Although the drivers fit pretty snugly without the solder wrapped around, this makes it pretty tight. I'm able to poke it out with my finger if I push hard enough, but it's enough to secure it in there, and I refuse to glue these drivers in there. Anyone attempting to do this, make sure that the solder does not touch the terminal, or you will short the connection. Oh, and I put some tape around the four sets of holes on the baffle. Without them covered up, the bass sounded flabby - AD2000 drivers suck at producing bass at loud volumes unless you have an air-tight seal in front of the driver. You do that, and you have bass that rivals Planars.

Those holes on the grill look pretty funky, but I have something in mind to cover it up.

The beyer gel pads have to be the best pads ever made. Excellent isolation, comfort, every headphone that I've put these on improve the sound, they don't flake like pleather, and they don't get flat over time like basically every other earpad out there.

Sound-wise, they're pretty much the same as my previously modified headphones, but since the driver is closer  to my ears, I'm able to tone down the peaks and dips in my equalizer about 4dB. I think imaging is better too. The modified baffles on my AD2KMKIV introduced some unwanted reflections, and that gave my ears some messed up positioning cues (still better than K7XX lineup, though). There's nothing but driver and ear with these headphones/earpads. Fortunately, these are just as comfortable as my AD2KMKIVs too. The headphone design is much more functional, and I wouldn't be afraid to wear these out in public.

The only downside right now is that the clamping force is on the light side, and I'd like a bit more. But once I start sweating a bit around my ears, the gel pads stick to my skin, making an air-tight seal, and the bass is like it was on my AD2KMKIVs- perfect. I guess I have to cut my hair off to get the seal I want without potentially breaking the headband trying to bend it. The headband is nothing but plastic and padding, and I'm afraid to bend it. 

Well, I  guess that's it for now. They shall be called the GBH-2000s, hehe. They are basically what I wanted my GBH-1000s to be way back when.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,965 of 2,205
Beautiful!  Congratulations.  Any comments on the sound of the original HP200 vs. the AD2K and the GBH2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back