AUDIO TECHNICA PRO700MK2
Sep 11, 2011 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ieatDIAMONDS

New Head-Fier
So I'm trying to find some information on these headphones but can't seem to find much about them. I keep getting mix reviews on them but the one thing I do know about these cans is that they are extremely bassy.

So I have a few question to the people how actually own/used these phones.

- Is the bass TOO much bass?

- Does it overpower the highs and mids?

- How are the highs and mids?

- Describe the bass (punchy? muddy? powerful? etc)

- Are they worth their price point? which is around $155ish

- Hows the surround sound?

And any other imput you may have about these headphones would be greatly appreciated <3

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 17
Have you searched? I think there was a review topic on these.

From the few comment I read from certain threads, looks like there are better for the price(?).

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Heya,

There's never too much bass, if you're looking for a bassy headphone. The question is, do you want a mid-bass hump, or do you want the most flat extended low end bass you can get. If you want mid-bass hump with some extention, the PRO700MK2 can do that, but it's not flat by any means. The treble is rolled off, so it's smooth, not harsh to listen to. Mids are quite recessed. Its' a "V" shaped sound in terms of frequencies. It's bass has a lot of reverb and boominess to it. There's no such thing as surround sound headphones that have two drivers (there's only a source that emulates it). They're worth the money if you like how they look, like how they feel, and like lots of bass. If you're looking for a more neutral headphone, then no, this is not it.

Also, check out this comparison, it's pretty fair.

Very best,

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Having too much bass is extremely, extremely subjective.  There are people who are fine with the Audio Technica AD headphones, and there are people EQing up the bass on their Sony XB headphones for 'satisfying' results.  There's also different preference for bass type as well.  There are people who get a kick out of the mid-bass punch something plenty of mid-bass punch for drums, then there are people who want plenty of sub-bass presence for songs for the low rumble.

I think to adequately get a response to a question like that, you'd need to tell us about your background with music and what you've used before.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 17
You read this thread?  http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head/135#post_7742600    Might answers some questions regarding these. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 17
Yeah i've seen all of those threads and I'm still getting mixed reviews. Some people absolutely love the bass and don't think it's too overpowering but others think that it is too overpowering and the it destroys the mids and highs.

And opps I meant sound stage not surround sound lol.

as for music, I mainly listen to electro, dubstep, trance, house, indie, power pop, pop punk, alternative, and hip-hop in no particular order.

I'm fairly new the the scene do i've only owned the JVC RX700 and like them a lot but wish it had more bass and the highs seem a tad harsh but they are still burning in so yeah.

And I would prefer a very punchy, clean bass. It's either these or some ultrasone HFI-580

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
And Dsnuts, I have read your comments in that thread and that is why I've suddenly had a change of heart on these cans.

Well I will just say I was a bit harsh on that thread and is something that I regret writing as Gn3ral Karl ended up being a good friend of mine and perhaps I will retest the Pro700Mk2s someday but I will be honest with you. I think you will like the Ultrasone better for your needs.. The pro700Mk2 does slower deep hiphop grooves like no other but the problem with those cans on everything else.. Lets just say you need clarity with your Bass.. The ultrasones will provide this.. I say give the ultrasone HFi-580 a try I have the Dj1s  which are just awesome for every genre you just mentioned. The HFi-580 and the Dj1s are one n the same. It comes down to matter of preference on looks...

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 17
heres my review i hope this helps:
I LOVE BASS, these headphones are extremely bassy but not what other people claim as the biggest basshead headphones ever. Bass is prominent but its sub-bass and not hard-drwon out the music bass. With that being said, No it def. does not kill out the mids and highs, and with that being said, the bass is a cross between punchy and powerful.
If you want pure bass and that all you want, get the xb500, those bass even without an amp is very very sub-like.

surround sound wise, if you put these on, it sounds wonderful, there is minimal sound leakage, however because of this many people complian its tight on the head, but you can easily fix this by stretching it out a bit or change the earpads to the m50, which i strongly suggest (ill get to that later)

these headphones make all your songs sound good in the highs, mids, and with strong emphasis on the lows.

Now heres my suggestion:
1. you want more bass pair it with the E11 amp, that will give you even more bass than you would ever want (about ~70$) some people even run it with a E6
2. you still want more bass: get rid of the earpads on the pro700 and replace them with the m50

i hope my review helped, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
heres my review i hope this helps:
I LOVE BASS, these headphones are extremely bassy but not what other people claim as the biggest basshead headphones ever. Bass is prominent but its sub-bass and not hard-drwon out the music bass. With that being said, No it def. does not kill out the mids and highs, and with that being said, the bass is a cross between punchy and powerful.
If you want pure bass and that all you want, get the xb500, those bass even without an amp is very very sub-like.

surround sound wise, if you put these on, it sounds wonderful, there is minimal sound leakage, however because of this many people complian its tight on the head, but you can easily fix this by stretching it out a bit or change the earpads to the m50, which i strongly suggest (ill get to that later)

these headphones make all your songs sound good in the highs, mids, and with strong emphasis on the lows.

Now heres my suggestion:
1. you want more bass pair it with the E11 amp, that will give you even more bass than you would ever want (about ~70$) some people even run it with a E6
2. you still want more bass: get rid of the earpads on the pro700 and replace them with the m50

i hope my review helped, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask

why do people keep saying this? the m50 pads while adding infinitely more comfort actually work to reduce the bass on these, especiallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy SUB BASS rumble, if you dont believe me, i urge you to a/b them side by side with one side stock pads and the other m50, you'll notice the difference right away, you get a much better seal on the stock pads in exchange for comfort (which u can mitigate by stretching out the headband for 2 or 3 days overnight)

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #14 of 17
to the op

personally as i've stated before in other threads, from my perspective of what "MONSTROUS BASS" is, i felt like i got jerked when i bought these, thats when i learned to take everything people say on these forums with a grain of salt, because we're all coming from different ideas of what big bass is, for me coming from sony xb500's it was a step down almost but for someone coming from sennheisers or grados, these things pretty much pop eardrums and destroy worlds

today, if someone tells me a particular set of cans has x amount of bass but doesnt mention what type of music they listened to on them, i cant take them serious, in all honesty if you're not talking about rap or any type of electronic dance music, dont even talk to me about bass

now if the question is, is there bass on these? yes, is it huge? depends on what you define as huge, for me its no, not stock at least, but after eq kung fu and bass boost dsps...hell f%^&ing yes! no matter what i throw at these, how much i add or take away it never distorts, always responds. i can eq these to go to levels past the xb500 without sacrificing to much of the mids or highs and this is why i love my pro700's :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 17
honestly, comfort is a huge thing, the pro700's comfort earpads are absolute worst, because of this how am I suppose to enjoy the bass if I can't even enjoy my ears. With the m50s, although you said the bass is more significant, and I might agree. However, my ears feel perfectly fine, I can concentrate on the bass and not worry about the pain I will feel in 10 min. IMO :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back