Audio Technica Pro700MK2 & M50 picture comparison.
Jun 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

synister

New Head-Fier

Note that the M50's are a year old, and the Pro700MK2 are 2 days old. The M50 will always be pictured on the left, and the Pro700MK2 on the right. I didn't have my camera, so these are taken with an iPhone 4g. I'll write a comparison review in a few months.

The pro700mk2 is pictured on both sides in the picture below. M50 pad on the left, 700mk2 on the right.

Pro700MK2 with all accessories. I don't have one for the M50 unfortunately, but there are plenty available on the net.

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 23
Nice photos!  How does the PRO700 stack up to your M50 so far?

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 23
Its really difficult to compare the two because they are really in their own class entirely. The Pro700MK2 has the most amazing bass i've heard (compared to the XB500, XB700, M50, and beats). After burn in the sound has easily met my expectations in terms of clarity. However, the M50 delivers in many areas where the Pro700MK2 cannot (mainly because of the bass). Highs, mids, and lows are improved on the M50, but with the consequence of much less bass. The Pro700MK2 is acceptable in these areas in my opinion. Isolation is the same on both.

Comfort, on the other hand, is an issue with the Pro700MK2. As you can see in the first picture, the M50 is recessed, whereas the Pro700MK2 sticks out a bit. The stock pads on the Pro700MK2 are terrible. The m50 pad is a decent upgrade, but its not tight and it does slide very slightly. I ordered DT250 pads and im hopeful they will help. If you buy these, you must stretch them out on something slightly larger than your head for at least a day (hopefully during burn in). 

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 23
How is your interpretation of the overall build quality? Particularly the extenders on the headband, swivel joints, and the earcup arms?

I declined buying the PRO700MK2 and went for the M50 partially due to the plastic extenders, lack of metal tension relief spring and metal accents on the earcups. It is attention to detail in the little things that made me perceive the M50 to be of higher quality. I also heard that the original PRO700 had issues with cracking at the swivel joint/headband, and that worried me as my roomie in first year of university had a pair of Sony MDR-V700's that developed a joint crack that rendered them unusable. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm actually not quite a fan of the Pro 700's bass. It reminds me a lot of the XB500 or XB700 -- pretty much, the music swims in the bass.

I absolutely did not like the comfort either. Even with M50 pads, it was hard to wear for longer than a few songs. Same with the M50 I believe.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
How is your interpretation of the overall build quality? Particularly the extenders on the headband, swivel joints, and the earcup arms?

I declined buying the PRO700MK2 and went for the M50 partially due to the plastic extenders, lack of metal tension relief spring and metal accents on the earcups. It is attention to detail in the little things that made me perceive the M50 to be of higher quality. I also heard that the original PRO700 had issues with cracking at the swivel joint/headband, and that worried me as my roomie in first year of university had a pair of Sony MDR-V700's that developed a joint crack that rendered them unusable. 

Personally I think the build quality on the Pro700MK2 is sturdier than the M50. The plastic extenders are fairly thick, and certainly of high quality plastic. The m50 is a thin piece of metal reinforced by plastic. The swivel joints and the earcup arms are also thicker than those on the m50. This does make the Pro700MK2 squeeze a bit harder on the head. I highly doubt these will have any type of joint cracking problem.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 23
Every time I work myself up to buy a pair of ATs the comfort issue deters me. Going from loose D2000s to ATs scares me. But I keep hearing about the amazing bass. Katun, how would you compare these to the Denon D2000s?

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Every time I work myself up to buy a pair of ATs the comfort issue deters me. Going from loose D2000s to ATs scares me. But I keep hearing about the amazing bass. Katun, how would you compare these to the Denon D2000s?

I modded my MK2's with the Beyer softskins.  I basically took the stock MK2 pads, cut the portion where the cushion is but left behind the "lip" that wraps around the cup.  Then I took the Beyer softskins and glued them to the circular lip of the stock MK2 pads.  Comfort is exactly the same as ANY Beyer headphone, just with synthetic leather.  You have nothing to worry about if you want to do a little modding, they are just as comfortable as the Denon D2000's.

By the way, I'd personally take the MK2's over the Denon's anyday
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 23
^ I love the laidback feel of the D2000s but I find myself wanting a more fun headphone. These will be will next purchase once I get the money. Your review sold me! Have you tried the D2000s?

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
I modded my MK2's with the Beyer softskins.  I basically took the stock MK2 pads, cut the portion where the cushion is but left behind the "lip" that wraps around the cup.  Then I took the Beyer softskins and glued them to the circular lip of the stock MK2 pads.  Comfort is exactly the same as ANY Beyer headphone, just with synthetic leather.  You have nothing to worry about if you want to do a little modding, they are just as comfortable as the Denon D2000's.

By the way, I'd personally take the MK2's over the Denon's anyday
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why AT made the cushions paper thin. Before I was able to replace them I could see circular engravings on my ear from the metal after about 2 hours of use. Hopefully the DT250 pads add the level of comfort im looking for. If not I will be giving your idea a shot.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
I don't know why AT made the cushions paper thin. Before I was able to replace them I could see circular engravings on my ear from the metal after about 2 hours of use. Hopefully the DT250 pads add the level of comfort im looking for. If not I will be giving your idea a shot.

The DT250 pads should be a solid fit, considering that the M50 pads are virtually the same size.  I honestly think you will find happiness there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 23
From my experience, the PRO700MK2 is like the ultimate basshead headphone, with the right pads. I haven't experimented much, but the 250 pads were a loose fit, if I remember correctly.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
From my experience, the PRO700MK2 is like the ultimate basshead headphone, with the right pads. I haven't experimented much, but the 250 pads were a loose fit, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure you mean Ultrasone Pro 900, Darth Beyers and Sony XB1000 as being real basshead kings under $1000, but maybe I just read it wrong...
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I'm sure you mean Ultrasone Pro 900, Darth Beyers and Sony XB1000 as being real basshead kings under $1000, but maybe I just read it wrong...
tongue.gif

Depends on person, for SOME people I'm sure the PRO700MK2 might be the king no matter price we're discussing but for majority of people those you mentioned might be more commonly picked, possibly add D7000 to the mix as well (I personally would probably prefer D5000 over D7000 though).

I'd also be interesting in some good pads for PRO700MK2 in case I'd give this phone a try... The default ones look too small to be circumaural to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back