Audio-Technica M50xBT Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #61 of 67
@hifi80sman I've seen a lot of negative feedback about the Brainwavz HM5 Earpads with the M50X, saying they take out the neutrality of the headphones, heavily reducing the bass ... What's your opinion about the sheepskin model? Did you noticed any changes on sound signature?

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #62 of 67
@hifi80sman I've seen a lot of negative feedback about the Brainwavz HM5 Earpads with the M50X, saying they take out the neutrality of the headphones, heavily reducing the bass ... What's your opinion about the sheepskin model? Did you noticed any changes on sound signature?
I wouldn't use the HM5 earpads. IMO, they are too big and do affect the sound signature quite a bit. If you're going to wear them in public, it looks really silly with the HM5.

Brainwavz has some newer "ProStock" pads on Amazon that are supposed to improve comfort, yet retain the sound signature. I have not tried those yet.

The sheepskin pads that I have (Accessory House) tame the headphones a bit, meaning they are not as aggressive, in-your-face (and head) sounding. The pads are obviously a bit thicker and cups larger, so soundstage is improved, sub-bass seems to resonate more (since the sound wavs can't dissipate as easily through the sheepskin), mids take a slight hit, and highs I'd say are a little more airy than precise & aggressive. I personally prefer the sound, as the stock pads are not only lacking in long-term comfort, but sound-wise, it gets fatiguing after an hour or so (I tend to wear headphones for long stretches).

If you like the out of the box sound signature, you may want to try the Brainwavz "ProStock" earpads. Sheepskin, in almost any scenario, will increase bass.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #63 of 67
Hello, I tried to switch from a Marshall Monitor BT, which I have since a year ago, to ATH-M50xBT, but I didn't find the sound quality very different, not even superior. I like a warm sound, maybe that's the reason. I think I will return them back... I don't know, but my mind is divided...

My audio source is a Xiaomi Mi 9 phone with Spotify Premium.

I love to listen all kind of music, from Rock and Roll to 80's New Wave, Classical and House music... only on Classical music I can find a better performance and instrument separation from the M50xBT.

IMG_20200207_121943.jpg

Also, they came with the sewing thread broken on one earpad, which makes me doubt of the build quality. They are original, because they were purchased from the official website of AT.

What do you think? Should I keep them and order a new earpads from Brainwavz? :)

Try these.

Earpads Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJQBNWF/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_v0oqEbJSRF31V

If you want more bass they have protein leather and both are just like brainwavz.

Feb 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #64 of 67
Thank you everyone for your replies. In the meantime, I've already returned the m50x... :smirk:
I really liked the sound, but not enough for €200. Certainly I will look for other alternatives, perhaps smaller and with ANC, since I use them mainly on the street.

By the way, and to avoid creating another topic, does anyone know if this cable is good for connecting headphones models with 3.5 input to a mobile phone that doesn't have an audio jack?

Thank you very much!

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #65 of 67
Just auditioned the M50xBT and compared it directly to the M50x - both wired. Was using an S10e with Spotify. To my ears, the M50x is still a level up in SQ. Soundstage is still bigger/airier on the M50x. Switching immediately to the M50xBT, you'll immediately notice how restricted the soundstage is.

On some tracks, the M50xBT bloats the mids, making the highs sound artificial. Bass is still tighter on the M50x. Pity, as I was really looking forward to getting the M50xBT at a very good price. But ended getting the M50x (my 3rd unit! :ksc75smile:) - at an awesome price too.

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #66 of 67
Hmm, did anybody here try to use them for music production? I know the wired ones are loved by many for that purpose.
I wonder if the BT version could, eventually used with cable (to avoid latency) get close to the wired version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back