Audio-Technica M50xBT Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #46 of 67
My head happens to be large, so this was a big issue for me. I just bent the headband outward.
If you feel comfortable doing this, it will loosen the fit. You have to put a bit of muscle into it to actually bend it tho.

Indeed on the muscle. They sound great but is not large head friendly. I don't usually like having to physically alter products but it's worth it.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #47 of 67
Alrighty then, I’m in. Ironically, I’m not too far from their Stow, Ohio headquarters.

These will be replacing my trusty ksc-75’s at work. I need to be able to plug them into a computer and I can use them with my iPhone, wirelessly. Hopefully they don’t suck.

Steve

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #48 of 67
And my mass drop m50xbt’s were delivered! I’m stuck at work, LOL.

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #50 of 67
If I listen carefully in a quiet environment, I can hear it. I didn't originally notice it, but yes, I can hear it. Honestly, it's so mild it doesn't bother me, and I'm a bit OCD.

I actually replaced the ear pads with the Brainwavz sheepskin ear pads for the Sony 7506 and they work like a charm. Better isolation, better basis texture, mids, and a city in the top end treble peaks. It's a warmer sig, so YMMV in terms of preference.

If I listen carefully in a quiet environment, I can hear it. I didn't originally notice it, but yes, I can hear it. Honestly, it's so mild it doesn't bother me, and I'm a bit OCD.

I actually replaced the ear pads with the Brainwavz sheepskin ear pads for the Sony 7506 and they work like a charm. Better isolation, better basis texture, mids, and a city in the top end treble peaks. It's a warmer sig, so YMMV in terms of preference.
Hi, just curious. Have you tried any other pads since then? ZMF, for instance...

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #51 of 67
I'm enjoying the m50xbt as well and I also have Hd58x. Interested in impressions of hybrid pads.i went with the wicked pads and they are very comfortable and I think they actually improve the sound. Wired with an amp adds a LOT more oomph. BT gets plenty loud but the only thing missing here may be a bit more headroom on volume.
I'm enjoying the m50xbt as well and I also have Hd58x. Interested in impressions of hybrid pads.i went with the wicked pads and they are very comfortable and I think they actually improve the sound. Wired with an amp adds a LOT more oomph. BT gets plenty loud but the only thing missing here may be a bit more headroom on volume.
Hi, could you make some comparison between M50xBT and HD58X?
Also, could you describe how your WC pads improve the sound on ath m50x-bt? Thanks

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #52 of 67
Hi everyone. I acquired a pair of these recently. Had them for about 6 weeks and, they worked until I used them for a long recording session, thru a studio headphone amp. Never turned them up loud, but it was several hours of wired use. Now the bluetooth mode is silent. They still connect to my phone properly, but no sound anymore when bluetooth is engaged. They work wired without a problem, but to me, owning a pair of headphones i don't really love that have bluetooth, is all about the bluetooth. I've tried resetting, firmware update, leaving them alone for weeks, etc. Still nothing. Any suggestions that I may be missing? Curious if anyone else has come across this and solved it, or has seen some discussion about it here or elsewhere. Bought them used...

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #53 of 67
I have recently purchased these headphones and whenever I turn on the bluetooth the headphones start to make a faint static noise(/white noise) when no audio is playing or when I play music at a very low volume. When I turn the volume up the noise fades away but returns when a song ends or when I turn the volume down. Is this normal?

M50xbt has this mild static noise and crackling when no music is playing or music is playing at low volume. I checked another piece at bestbuy and I also noticed a review at Amazon which mentions the noise. From the discussion above it seems that not everyone can hear the noise (I guess it depends on the sensitivity of one's ears.)

This!! idk, but its kinda unpleasant and seems like an issue to me. I don't wanna listen on high volume level just to avoid this static noise, and every time song switches to another, I hear it... really annoying

I just bought these and to me, the noise is easily audible and very annoying. Being that I'm in my mid-forties, I don't think it's because my ears are overly sensitive. The easiest way to assess the noise is to pause playback and wait. After 30 seconds, the amp appears to shut off and the noise disappears. Since not everyone hears this, I can't help but wonder if they made changes to the circuitry and sold two different versions of the product.

One other thing that I find annoying is that at lower levels the volume adjustment is very coarse.

Apart from those issues, they do sound fantastic.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #54 of 67
I just bought these and to me, the noise is easily audible and very annoying.

I think the m50xbt's do vary in this issue. Mine does have a hum when no music is playing, but it's whisper quiet. The first notch of volume completely drones it out.
I'l recommend getting a replacement if it's not too much hassle.

Dec 15, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #56 of 67
I just opened the "connect" app and adjusted the volume. The overall volume is now louder (which is a good thing)

Am I crazy or can someone else try it

For me, adjusting volume in the Connect app has the same effect as adjusting playback volume in Android or on the headphones. They all control the same thing.

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #59 of 67
Hello, I tried to switch from a Marshall Monitor BT, which I have since a year ago, to ATH-M50xBT, but I didn't find the sound quality very different, not even superior. I like a warm sound, maybe that's the reason. I think I will return them back... I don't know, but my mind is divided...

My audio source is a Xiaomi Mi 9 phone with Spotify Premium.

I love to listen all kind of music, from Rock and Roll to 80's New Wave, Classical and House music... only on Classical music I can find a better performance and instrument separation from the M50xBT.

IMG_20200207_121943.jpg

Also, they came with the sewing thread broken on one earpad, which makes me doubt of the build quality. They are original, because they were purchased from the official website of AT.

What do you think? Should I keep them and order a new earpads from Brainwavz? :)

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #60 of 67
Hello, I tried to switch from a Marshall Monitor BT, which I have since a year ago, to ATH-M50xBT, but I didn't find the sound quality very different, not even superior. I like a warm sound, maybe that's the reason. I think I will return them back... I don't know, but my mind is divided...

My audio source is a Xiaomi Mi 9 phone with Spotify Premium.

I love to listen all kind of music, from Rock and Roll to 80's New Wave, Classical and House music... only on Classical music I can find a better performance and instrument separation from the M50xBT.

Also, they came with the sewing thread broken on one earpad, which makes me doubt of the build quality. They are original, because they were purchased from the official website of AT.

What do you think? Should I keep them and order a new earpads from Brainwavz? :)
Are you looking at the "ProStock" earpads? I'd be curious how those sound. For $29, I picked up these sheepskin pads (really soft), which I'm really happy with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back