Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #751 of 1,524
  The more I wonder, and read, the more it direct me toward the CKR9-10.  I know I will not like Hybrid for the fact of how Bulky they are, and heavy.  I also don't like BA that much as their Highs are more Metallic than Organic compare to Dynamic.  So I know for the fact there are no BA which can sound as "Organic" as Dynamic drivers.  I am very impressed at the new Design which Audio Technica is doing, the Combo Dynamic Drivers.  The IM70 is Dual Front Directed with 8mm Dynamic drivers.  CKR9/10 are Oppositely directed Dual 13m Dynamic drivers.  Waaaahh...I don't want to spend anymore Q_Q

CKR series pack drivers of whopping driver sizes themselves and would fit in the bulky category. You could probably get a more compact hybrid set-up with a dynamic driver of around 8mm. Of course, regardless of what driver they use, it never guarantees good sound quality. So if you didn't like bulky types, I doubt the CKR are for you.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #754 of 1,524

Well, as far as what I'd take over the IM70 that's in that range, it'd be the CKR9. There are quite a few nice hybrids and BA IEMs in that range, but I haven't heard any of them and they aren't going to give you that natural sound and forward midrange you want. Some of the BA stuff might, but you won't have the same bass quantity of the IM70. Probably a better question for Joker's thread. 

But aren't some BA's bass really artificial?

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #755 of 1,524
  So I know for the fact there are no BA which can sound as "Organic" as Dynamic drivers.

Are you sure about that? You might want to try some universals first before saying that (i thought the same a while ago, then i got proven wrong).
  But aren't some BA's bass really artificial?

Depends on the BA really, but they usually are faster than the bass of a dynamic driver. Usually

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #758 of 1,524
  Does im50 has a dark signature ? Many people have mentioned the lack of treble. And how is the instrument separation ?

No, I wouldn't call it dark at all. The treble is smooth and balanced with the lows and mids, but it's not a particularly dark sound like other lower tier AT headphones can be. Separation is great for the price, on the level of the VSD3. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #760 of 1,524
As per request the request of Peter123, I've decided to take a bit of time to do a bit of comparative listening between the CKR9 and IM70 and give my impressions of the two. Before I start, I would like to thank warrior1975 for providing me with the CKR9 that made this possible. People have been saying that the CKR9 is a befitting upgrade for those who currently have the IM70, and in most cases they're right, but there's a few caveats that I would elaborate below. Please note that I am someone who generally prefers slightly warmer signatures with forward mids and slightly rolled-off treble. Additionally I'm using the AUVIO tips on the IM70 and JVC spiral tips on the CKR9.

Firstly, the CKR9 is a brighter headphone than the IM70, to the point where the treble was actually slightly hot on a number of tracks I tested. This brightness does wonders for string instruments though. The jangly guitar in Neko Case's "People Got A Lotta Nerve" was especially lively, making it a pleasure to listen to. However, that brightness is also a double-edged sword. Neko's vocals on said track was harsh and quite sibilant, forcing me to dial down the volume below my usual listening levels. This is an issue that reared its head in a number of other tracks with female vocals as well, but without vocals, the experience is pure bliss. As mentioned before, string instruments really stand out on the CKR9. The energetic treble translates incredibly well to classical music and the like. I could put on Beethoven's 7th symphony and listen to it for days.

When it comes to the mids, the CKR9 shares that forward sounding signature with the IM70, albeit with much better clarity. The IM70 actually sounds veiled in comparison. When listening to male vocals, such as Woodkid in "Irons," it's quite apparent the CKR9 carries more texture and detail. His rumbly tone sounds muted on the IM70 in comparison. However, there are also points when the CKR9 could sound a bit sterile, especially with female vocals. As for the bass, one of the members once mentioned that the IM70 has more bass than the CKR9, and I would agree, although CKR9's bass reaches deeper and feels tighter, comparable to some of the more expensive headphones. This is especially noticeable in the aforementioned track, Iron. While the IM70 performs admirably in this regard, it just sounds slightly boomy in the shadow of its big brother. Finally, as many may have expected, the sound stage is indeed even wider on the CKR9. There's an incredibly spacious quality to it. Again, it lends well to classical music.

For people who are looking to upgrade from their beloved IM70, the CKR9 is a fine choice, given that you're open to a jump in brightness. It still has the signature forward sounding mids, and although there isn't as much bass, it's only by a hair. But for those who found the treble on the IM70 bordering on the most that you can bare, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Personally, I find the CKR9 to be a wonderful headphone, and while I won't be using these as my daily drivers, I will definitely be reaching for these when I'm in the mood for instrumental music.

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #761 of 1,524
@Dinerenblanc

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #763 of 1,524
Hopefully when I tire of my IM70, the CKR9 or 10 will have been around long enough to warrant a decent price drop ^_^

Another way to ugrade them is ordering some quality cables from Lunashops or Audio Technica. :wink:

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #764 of 1,524
Another way to ugrade them is ordering some quality cables from Lunashops or Audio Technica.
wink.gif

lol, I wouldn't quite call that upgrade as I doubt the improvements will be as noticeable compared to getting the CKRs but sure if my stock cable ever breaks down. Will rather keep the removing and re-attaching cables to a min given how fragile looking the pins are. 
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #765 of 1,524
lol, I wouldn't quite call that upgrade as I doubt the improvements will be as noticeable compared to getting the CKRs but sure if my stock cable ever breaks down. Will rather keep the removing and re-attaching cables to a min given how fragile looking the pins are. :p

Nope, the pins aren't that fragile. They are hard as a rock unless you push them hard to wrong side. I plugged and unplugged the cables several times and I hadn't have a problem yet. Let's say they are more secure than VSD3S. :p

I agree that there will be slight improvements with the cable but that might be what you are looking for before pulling the trigger on CKR9 which costs at least twice as much as the price of IM70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back