Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #721 of 1,524
Oh, taking them on and off could definitely be annoying haha. I tried doing some A/Bing between them and my Shures and it got so annoying that I pretty much just gave up after a few short sessions. 

Lol, yes I also tried to a/b them but gave up....

They do sound good though so I'm determined to make them fit.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #722 of 1,524
  I'll be getting a pair of CKR9s on hand soon, courtesy of warrior1975. I'm eager to see how good they are. Another bit about the IM70, the memory wire is phenomenal. It's incredibly well made. While Shure's memory wire has the tendency to be a tad stiff at times, the IM70's strikes the perfect balance of malleability and rigidness. I also like the matte-like coating on it, which provides just enough grip while also being comfortable. Now if only I could swap the giant housing for Shure's flush earpieces. 
tongue_smile.gif

I agree that their memory cable are better than most. Still not a great solution IMO but I guess if you want something to fit over ear and has the versatility to adapt to all ear sizes, they're the best option. I do wish their entire cable is lighter and stick to the 1.2m length though.
I'm using them together right now and it sounds very good, great match!

Awesome!

I love the cables, but I found the size of the housing to be problematic. While i was able to get a decent fit, I can't say they're especially comfortable to wear, and I definitely will not be falling asleep in them. Different people have different ears, but its shear size makes it less accommodating to most people. With that said, I don't believe a different cable will make a difference for you.

I agree with the housing. Could use 1-2 mm reduction in size here and there for my ears but try to adjust them around your ears until you get a good fit. My first 2-3 days wearing them they keep pushing down on some parts of my right ear - which is smaller than my left. After shifting them around a bit for a while, I finally gotten used to how to plug them into my ear and started to notice them less and less.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #723 of 1,524
  Good to know I wasn't lying to you about them then. 
biggrin.gif
 I think with the mids being more recessed it gives a little less shoutyness to them. Definitely still a mid forward phone though. It's very well balanced in that respect. You can see from the graphs here that the mids are a bit different and the channels are almost perfectly balanced on the IM70 in comparison.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-discussion-thread/525#post_11033280

hmm... interesting and thanks. Though sometimes I wonder if these graphs even mean anything especially when couple with different sources which would have their own sources and that I personally have no idea how to read it. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #724 of 1,524
  hmm... interesting and thanks. Though sometimes I wonder if these graphs even mean anything especially when couple with different sources which would have their own sources and that I personally have no idea how to read it. 

Different sources can only do so much to change the signature of an earphone. Besides, it's not like two different earphones would lose their signatures when using the same source. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #725 of 1,524
  I agree that their memory cable are better than most. Still not a great solution IMO but I guess if you want something to fit over ear and has the versatility to adapt to all ear sizes, they're the best option. I do wish their entire cable is lighter and stick to the 1.2m length though.
Awesome!

I agree with the housing. Could use 1-2 mm reduction in size here and there for my ears but try to adjust them around your ears until you get a good fit. My first 2-3 days wearing them they keep pushing down on some parts of my right ear - which is smaller than my left. After shifting them around a bit for a while, I finally gotten used to how to plug them into my ear and started to notice them less and less.

I own a few over-ears that doesn't have any memory wire and they're just not secure enough, hence I prefer memory wire. The only time I had trouble with them was when I first got my SE215s, my first pair of over-ear IEMs, but I got used to them after an hour or so and have since grown to prefer memory wire.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #726 of 1,524

When I A/B them I just turn the memory wire all the way up and let my ears hold them in, lol. I've gotten pretty fast at switching at least, but I can definitely see how that could be a problem with the kids needing you every few minutes. If all else fails, lunashops has some nice options without wires, but I don't know how much the sound changes.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #727 of 1,524

When I A/B them I just turn the memory wire all the way up and let my ears hold them in, lol. I've gotten pretty fast at switching at least, but I can definitely see how that could be a problem with the kids needing you every few minutes. If all else fails, lunashops has some nice options without wires, but I don't know how much the sound changes.

That is the same thing I did at first. You need to find the right angle of the nozzle. Then just turn up the memory cable all the way up and bend them to shape your ears. @peter123 don't worry, you will get used to the fit soon.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #728 of 1,524
  So this is like an 8/10 compare from IM70/CKR9 ?  Hmmm, if this is the case.  I will hold on to my IM70 for a while :-D Cause I like the Boomy and Rumbling bass from IM70, yet very fine and detailed.  The only one will keep me on edge = even more natural sounding than im70.  :-/ Always gotta be something better

Thanks for your review Zap

That's probably a fair assessment. If the CKR9 is 10 the IM70 is an 8 or so. It's not on the same level, but can keep up fairly well, and it's still great value at its price. Using Joker's SQ scale the IM70 is probably an 8.9 or 9 and the CKR9 is probably like a 9.2 or 9.3. That's my opinion, not joker's, lol.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #729 of 1,524

For reference, this is how mine look in ear. I just grab the housing with my thumb and index finger to remove them. I never move the memory wire. Once you get the fit and procedure down it's second nature. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #732 of 1,524
Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make. I heard somewhere if you put a paperclip in the vent and a rubber band around the connector you can wear them backwards. Try this with a q-tip in the tips. This will increase the sound quality by 70%, but only if there is a duck in your back yard before your tax return is due. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #733 of 1,524
Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make. I heard somewhere if you put a paperclip in the vent and a rubber band around the connector you can wear them backwards. Try this with a q-tip in the tips. This will increase the sound quality by 70%, but only if there is a duck in your back yard before your tax return is due. 

Zap! Since you have experienced quiet a broad range of these IEMs. Is there anything similar to IM70 with realistic sound and mid more forward, but stay within 100-200$ range ? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back