Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread
Dec 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #766 of 1,524
Nope, the pins aren't fragile. They are hard as a rock unless you push them hard to wrong side. I plugged and unplugged the cables several times and I hadn't have a problem yet. Let's say they are more secure than VSD3S.
tongue.gif

I agree that there will be slight improvements with the cable but that may maybe what you are looking for before pulling the trigger to CKR9 which costs at least twice as much as the price of IM70.

Heh, I did say appear "fragile looking" not claiming that they are. But hopefully the CKR9 will have dropped in pricing when I really need a replacement for my IM70. Banking on these to last me at least a good 3-4 years especially with replaceable cables and not planning on getting anymore new headphones until they break. Unless of course something really interesting is going for a ridiculous price 
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #767 of 1,524
@Dinerenblanc 

Great comparisons there. I'd agree with everything you said. For me, I like forward mids and warm bass like you do, but I prefer my treble a little brighter, so the energetic highs are no problem for me with the CKR9. My take on the IM70 would be that it needed a bit more in the treble, so I guess that speaks to my treble preferences (I was one who thought the GR07 sounded fine in most cases, for example). I can handle the sibilance of Neko's vocals there fine, though I can definitely see it being an issue for people who have sensitivity in the upper mids and treble. I also like that the bass of the CKR9 can go from a tiny thud to a loud boom at will. The bass dynamics are great on the IM70 as well, but there's always more of a boom there compared to the CKR9 where the bass can go in either direction as needed. Anyway, thanks for the comparisons and I think you're pretty much dead on with them. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #768 of 1,524
@Dinerenblanc

Great comparisons there. I'd agree with everything you said. For me, I like forward mids and warm bass like you do, but I prefer my treble a little brighter, so the energetic highs are no problem for me with the CKR9. My take on the IM70 would be that it needed a bit more in the treble, so I guess that speaks to my treble preferences (I was one who thought the GR07 sounded fine in most cases, for example). I can handle the sibilance of Neko's vocals there fine, though I can definitely see it being an issue for people who have sensitivity in the upper mids and treble. I also like that the bass of the CKR9 can go from a tiny thud to a loud boom at will. The bass dynamics are great on the IM70 as well, but there's always more of a boom there compared to the CKR9 where the bass can go in either direction as needed. Anyway, thanks for the comparisons and I think you're pretty much dead on with them. 

OK, I think that we have pretty much the same preference for the treble so maybe the 9's are the right ones for me after all...

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #769 of 1,524
  @Dinerenblanc

You may like the ATH- IM02, it doesn't have as much bass but close to the same Signature. nice mids and treble and good bass with chnge in tips. imho

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #772 of 1,524
@Dinerenblanc

Yeah, I'm definitely a little sensitive to sibilance, so the CKR9 doesn't quite hit the mark for my tastes. However, I could see this being hit with treble-heads and the like. Thanks for the kind words by the way. :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #773 of 1,524
Never mind...

Havi B3 with Sony Hybrid tips are great.. Mids are thicker, and fuller, stage deeper, bass stronger, and treble a little weaker now. which is almost perfect for me... just a tiny bit more subbass extension is lacking. 

IM50 lacks top end extension and stage, IM70 probably similar

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #774 of 1,524
  Havi B3 with Sony Hybrid tips are great.. Mids are thicker, and fuller, stage deeper, bass stronger, and treble a little weaker now. which is almost perfect for me... just a tiny bit more subbass extension is lacking. 

IM50 lacks top end extension and stage, IM70 probably similar

very

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #776 of 1,524
Yes IM70 lacks that depth, and miss are kinda...mushy. But it bass is so much quality, and realistic

Wait, what? The way I hear it it's the other way around. The depth and 3d imaging is great on the IM70. The mids are forward and very natural. Treble lacks some brightness and bass lacks some depth and tightness if anything.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #777 of 1,524

Wait, what? The way I hear it it's the other way around. The depth and 3d imaging is great on the IM70. The mids are forward and very natural. Treble lacks some brightness and bass lacks some depth and tightness if anything.

To me it's more forward in mid and a touch bit bright on the upper end. I might even call it bass recessed/veiled. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty enough of bass but I think it has to do with what type of sound you got used to. For me switching from R1 to IM70 probably makes it sound really bright and Mid forward. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #779 of 1,524
Uhm my appologies. I meant im70 is super, but I would love more mid lol...I would love more details. Somehow I still crave for more mid when I have the IM70 In. I love the mid in s018 and she3905 but they are a bit bright, and not that realistic or accurate.

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #780 of 1,524
Been having the Im50's for a while now. Paired with x3 & e17 these things really shine. They are a little dull without the eq. But I can tweak it with e-17. I think these have a large soundstage IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back