Audio-technica ESW9/10 Appreciation Thread
Aug 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 51

Quote:

so... I guest the esw10 is just brighter than esw9? how about the smoothness and the sweet vocal? still like the esw9 or even better?

I'm not really a "vocals" guy (most of my favorite music is instrumental), but I do recall a few occasions thinking "Wow, those vocals sound really nice!". I would not really describe the esw10's as brighter than the esw9, just more balanced. They also seem to present complex passages with greater ease and clarity than the esw9, or any of my other phones for that matter.

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #32 of 51

Quote:
I'm not really a "vocals" guy (most of my favorite music is instrumental), but I do recall a few occasions thinking "Wow, those vocals sound really nice!". I would not really describe the esw10's as brighter than the esw9, just more balanced. They also seem to present complex passages with greater ease and clarity than the esw9, or any of my other phones for that matter.

yaikss... you make me really want to try esw10 now...

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 51
Just wanted to drop in and let you guys know my ESW9 arrived today. I'm still a work, but upon a quick listen, I was quite underwhelmed, and I can say that they are nowhere near the level of the W1000X, but quite honestly, for the price, I don't think they should be. Just based of my memory of the W1000X while listening to the ESW9, I want to say that they are quite a different phone, and it might be closer to an apples to oranges sort of comparison... Anyways, I'll take a listen to both side by side later tonight and really analyize the pros and con's of both in comparison to one another.

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #34 of 51

Quote:
Just based of my memory of the W1000X while listening to the ESW9, I want to say that they are quite a different phone, and it might be closer to an apples to oranges sort of comparison... 

wow, this really surprising me 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #35 of 51
I've been spending a couple days trying to burn in the headphones a bit, but don't have much time to listen to them to make a fair compairson to the W1000X. I must add though, that when I have them plugged into my Headstage Arrow amp vs. just the headphone out of my iPod Touch, they really change and sound much better. Both in detail (of instruments and vocals) and bass quality (quantity stays about the same unless I use the bass boost function, which I have set at 0.) This is all just from listening to some Frank Sinatra compilation I have on my iPod as well as some Five for Fighting.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #36 of 51

Quote:
I've been spending a couple days trying to burn in the headphones a bit, but don't have much time to listen to them to make a fair compairson to the W1000X. I must add though, that when I have them plugged into my Headstage Arrow amp vs. just the headphone out of my iPod Touch, they really change and sound much better. Both in detail (of instruments and vocals) and bass quality (quantity stays about the same unless I use the bass boost function, which I have set at 0.) This is all just from listening to some Frank Sinatra compilation I have on my iPod as well as some Five for Fighting.

How does ESW9 compare to W1000x (both amped)?

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #37 of 51

Quote:

That sounds good.I have owned the ESW9 now I want to try the 10
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #38 of 51
Hie, i'm ATs Woodies Collector..I manage to get a ESW10JPN brand unit frm Jaben Network Malaysia Early April this Year. Currently waiting with my next collection which is W2002 . I also owned W1000, W1000X, W10VTG, W11JPN & EW9

The simple says this ESW10JPN is meant for Female Voice favour more...In ATs line Woodies series there is top three best Female Voice Woodies headcan.

Rank 1 = W11JPN
Rank 2 =ESW10JPN
Rank 3 =W10VTG

For musical wise W1000 is the most musical so far i heard in ATs line. Meanwhile EW9 is the same wood as W1000 but is portable earclip series.

W1000X is replacement model of W1000 and also X series model the "10 Series" This headphone Adopt a similiarity of W5000 mid with similiar soundstage. High still W5000 wins...

ESW10JPN is a street version in premium headcan which it doesn't necessary need an amp. I can even worst if you amp it. As i heard so far Linearossa W1 manage to bring the sweet bass more.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #40 of 51
The ESW10s are about as good as it gets for female vocals, IMO. Sweet, articulate, very intimate-sounding. They have a thicker and less nimble bass than the W1000xs but are, compared to the 9s, less congested through the upper-bass and mids. They really are excellent headhones, and are unusually musically communicative. Their relatively high price is misleading -- it had more to do with their "LE" status and less to do with being a plausible full-size HP competitor. They aren't full-size phones and so won't necessarily provide that frequency response, scale or soundstage. But in musical terms, they don't concede much to even the high-priced titans. Mine get more use than the HD800s, despite the 800s' clear technical superiority.

best,

o

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #41 of 51
hmm... I see.. so if we talking about vocal, actually ESW10 is really great can, but for staging matter, better to get full size, isn't?

one more thing, between esw9/10, are they have the same fitting (comfort level)?

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #42 of 51

Quote:
Hi akabane,

so, you mean that ESW10 has mellower and better for female voice than W1000?

I love how W1000 present the female vocal, more than W1000x indeed, never try the W5000 though.

Yes is better than W1000 in terms of Female Voice...

Quote:
The ESW10s are about as good as it gets for female vocals, IMO. Sweet, articulate, very intimate-sounding. They have a thicker and less nimble bass than the W1000xs but are, compared to the 9s, less congested through the upper-bass and mids. They really are excellent headhones, and are unusually musically communicative. Their relatively high price is misleading -- it had more to do with their "LE" status and less to do with being a plausible full-size HP competitor. They aren't full-size phones and so won't necessarily provide that frequency response, scale or soundstage. But in musical terms, they don't concede much to even the high-priced titans. Mine get more use than the HD800s, despite the 800s' clear technical superiority.

best,

o

Quote:
hmm... I see.. so if we talking about vocal, actually ESW10 is really great can, but for staging matter, better to get full size, isn't?

one more thing, between esw9/10, are they have the same fitting (comfort level)?

ESW10JPN is good but soundstaging don't won't expect much on it. Full can size still better. ESW9 & 10 is different pad so it won't be same fitting.. It depends on you ear-suit or not.. but for me ESW10JPN is comfortable.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #44 of 51
Just received ESW9's from a fellow head-fi'er a couple of days ago. 
I just want to say that i am enjoying these headphones thoroughly. The mids are really sweet just like everyone says. i must say that i was floored by that sweetness.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #45 of 51
I've had my ESW9's for a while, but now they're broken and being shipped in to AT USA for repairs ;_;.

What I can say about them, was that I loved 'em with female vocals. I'd never thought I'd feel all choked up and teary after listening to just a song, but with the ESW9's the musicality practically transfuses the singer's voice directly into your heart and lets the words do the rest. On the other hand, my big ears don't all fit in the pads, so the tips always stick out, making it uncomfortable for long sessions, and the cups do get hot.

I fell out of love with them too, but it was more of those relationships where one second you can't understand why you were in it and the next you can't bear living without it. As you can tell, I'm in a bit of a rut in the second part of the relationship at the moment
tongue.gif

I haven't listened to any other full-size headphones, but I have demoed a couple of mid to high tier iems (Triple/Superfis, Shure SE110-530, Denons C351-551, Sony's, etc) in stores and I can say for sure that the mids and bass of any IEM simply can't compare to those of the ESW9's. Even if they might be more technically accurate, there's a synergy in the ESW9s that beats out everything; well at least in my ears
dt880smile.png
. YMMV, so if you happen to have lots of songs with female vocals, try em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back