Audio-technica ESW9/10 Appreciation Thread
Jul 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

There seem to be threads like these for other AT's like the AD series, and I was surprised that there hasn't been one for ESW9s (ESW10s neither). Where's your love for the ESW series?

I have had my ESW9s for a about a month or so and just loved it. I never thought headphones look this good could have such great sound as well. There have been a lot of threads about the ESW9s already (ESW10s as well), so I won't bother to describe the sound anymore (I am poor at it anyways:)).

Anyone wants to share some of this love?

Happy listening

Lee

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 51
I owned the ESW9 for a time and it may have forever turned me onto AT.  The ergonomics are great and the visceral impact of the bass is startling.  And your right, the looks are as good as they get, I simply don't think cosmetics get nicer.  They also give me an emotional connectedness with my music that only Grados can approach.  In my humbly insane opinion, nothing compares.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 51
Brilliant headphones. Probably my favourite ones, they give me the sound I want, in a compact package I can carry around wherever I want to go, don't need an amp and I don't care if I have to run them straight off my laptop. Smoothest mids I have heard, absolutely love these gems!

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 51

Quote:
Brilliant headphones. Probably my favourite ones, they give me the sound I want, in a compact package I can carry around wherever I want to go, don't need an amp and I don't care if I have to run them straight off my laptop. Smoothest mids I have heard, absolutely love these gems!

So true Mr Joboto.  

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 51
I fell out of love with my ESW9's. That so-called emotional connection and warm sound that drew me to them doesn't seem to be there anymore. Female vocals no longer sound sweet.

I don't know what's happening. I used to think I would like them forever, but...

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 51

Quote:
The ESW9 is great. I can only imagine the ESW10 being better. Would anyone who has owned both give some impression both of them?

I bought them both on release, upgraded from the 9 to the 10.
I felt that the 10 was better because it has a more sparkling sound, which makes it more exciting to listen to.

Although the 9 might be better if you don't like this kind of sound, since it's a bit easier on the ears for longer periods.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 51

Quote:
I bought them both on release, upgraded from the 9 to the 10.
I felt that the 10 was better because it has a more sparkling sound, which makes it more exciting to listen to.

Although the 9 might be better if you don't like this kind of sound, since it's a bit easier on the ears for longer periods.

Sounds like the ESW9 is just right for me. I don't think that I want something that is brighter than my MS1is.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 51

Quote:
it seems that he esw series doesn't get much attention here... ...

Well, they're kinda considered portables, so you might get more love and/or views in the portables sub forum.  Maybe.  Maybe not. 
smile.gif

I actually like my ESW9's quite a bit, though they aren't my primary headphone anymore at all.  They're fun with pretty good mids and I've never had a problem with sibilance or over-brightness.  I've thought about modding them a little for fun, but never quite gotten motivated to do it.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 51
I love my ESW10JPN's and don't intend on letting go of them for some time. For me, the uber detailed, energetic mids & highs do it for me. They bring acoustic music to life. They're also small and easy to wield at the office.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 51
Using my ATH-ESW9 with ibasso T3 amp and find that the ipod equalizer turned on treble booster is good. But the heat wave makes wearing my brand new cans impossible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back