Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Mar 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #181 of 343
I noticed they are advertising a feature where the cable itself splits into two stereo signals, and the earcups decide which channel they want. With this system, it is impossible to wire it backwards, the cables can be switched around and the channels are still the same. Is this the first time someone has done this? I can't believe no one has done it sooner.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #182 of 343
To me, that sounds gimmick-y. I hope that isn't contributing to the cost of the headphone and isn't adding unnecessary circuitry. Geez, I'm capable of telling which way to put on my headphones. A simple bump or dimple on one cup would accomplish the same thing, allowing you to easily distinguish even in the dark. A solution in need if a problem, IMO

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #183 of 343
  I noticed they are advertising a feature where the cable itself splits into two stereo signals, and the earcups decide which channel they want. With this system, it is impossible to wire it backwards, the cables can be switched around and the channels are still the same. Is this the first time someone has done this? I can't believe no one has done it sooner.

Yes that's right, something new, never seen it before on other headphone with detachable cable.

To me, that sounds gimmick-y. I hope that isn't contributing to the cost of the headphone and isn't adding unnecessary circuitry. Geez, I'm capable of telling which way to put on my headphones. A simple bump or dimple on one cup would accomplish the same thing, allowing you to easily distinguish even in the dark. A solution in need if a problem, IMO

Agree. Probably looks smart at first, but IMHO practically not something important. How often we unplug the headphone cable and have to plug it back in the dark?
confused_face.gif
 Probably when we use headphone case that is too tight that we have to detach the cable every time we want to keep them.
AT seems to neglect the more important basic feature, which is clear marking for Left and Right drivers for easy identification in dimly lit environment. There is Left and Right marking, but small and dark, I definitely cannot see those marking in dimly lit environment. So I have to see the different thickness of the earpad for the right orientation.

Anyway, R70x sounds excellent! I really like it. It's almost colorless, which is really good for recording studio application.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #185 of 343
@earfonia
 , sorry if this has been asked, can you compare the sound between R70X and MSR7? Thanks in advance!

No need to sorry :wink:

They have very different sound signature. If we say MSR7 has AT house sound, you know, the forward upper mid with the good clarity, R70x has no sign of AT house sound at all.

As mentioned, R70x sounds very smooth and balance, pretty close to Philips Fidelio X1 sound signature.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #186 of 343
No need to sorry :wink:

They have very different sound signature. If we say MSR7 has AT house sound, you know, the forward upper mid with the good clarity, R70x has no sign of AT house sound at all.

As mentioned, R70x sounds very smooth and balance, pretty close to Philips Fidelio X1 sound signature.

Would you consider the r70x a refined x1?

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #187 of 343
  Would you consider the r70x a refined x1?

I think so. but I haven't got time to carefully compare them side by side. Will do it later. Still busy now :wink:
2 days ago tested R70x with my friend Meier Corda Classic, wow, impressive, sounds very good!

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #188 of 343

This feature takes absolutely no work at all to do. Pretty sure they are just using TRS connectors on the left and right channels instead of TS, so it matches the input end. Then each cup has a TRS jack with one side always using the tip and the other side always using the ring, both sharing the sleeve as usual. Simple solution that will cost a few more cents than using mono TS for each cup, but hardly anything ridiculous.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #189 of 343

This feature takes absolutely no work at all to do. Pretty sure they are just using TRS connectors on the left and right channels instead of TS, so it matches the input end. Then each cup has a TRS jack with one side always using the tip and the other side always using the ring, both sharing the sleeve as usual. Simple solution that will cost a few more cents than using mono TS for each cup, but hardly anything ridiculous.

That's right!
It is actually pretty simple.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #190 of 343

Ah, I see. Makes sense

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #193 of 343
ATH-R70x is now listing for $349.99 on Amazon.com! 
beerchug.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SKVNS00/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3PCL7LM4QMWO9&coliid=I26OJCMCDZQO52

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #195 of 343
One item of interest to me is what is the clamping force of the ATH-R70x's? A comparison between the AD2000 and/or AD2000x would be quite helpful for anyone that has a pair of both of these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back